Carbon Build-up

I am having my 30K service done on my 2006 Lexus IS250 AWD, and I got a call telling me that I have carbon build-up in the fuel system. They said it will cost be another $225 to get it cleaned. The car is only 2.5 years old and I've used premium gas in it every time. Is this something I should do?

IMHO, I don't think that in that short time you have a carbon problem. The injectors and throttle body do need to be cleaned occasionally, but this is also easy money for the dealer. You might try getting a second opinion from an independent, if you know of a reputable one. Do you feel that you have experienced a decrease in performance, or something that would cause you to think that more than the standard 30k service is needed?

I had a G35 before I got my IS, and I was having some hesitation when accelerating. When I took the car in for it's next service, at 45k, I told that to the dealer. They wanted to charge me for injector and throttle body cleaning. They originally quoted me $145. I told them that I would have a private mechanic look at it, and they ended up cleaning the throttle body for free. I had no problem after that. You have to realize that the dealer is always going to try to maximize his profits. It's just business. Now, that being said, if you take the car in due to a known problem, and they tell you, "(X) is what is causing the problem, and (X) is what we have to do to fix it", then you would probably want to have that service done.

IMHO, I don't think that in that short time you have a carbon problem. The injectors and throttle body do need to be cleaned occasionally, but this is also easy money for the dealer. You might try getting a second opinion from an independent, if you know of a reputable one. Do you feel that you have experienced a decrease in performance, or something that would cause you to think that more than the standard 30k service is needed?

I had a G35 before I got my IS, and I was having some hesitation when accelerating. When I took the car in for it's next service, at 45k, I told that to the dealer. They wanted to charge me for injector and throttle body cleaning. They originally quoted me $145. I told them that I would have a private mechanic look at it, and they ended up cleaning the throttle body for free. I had no problem after that. You have to realize that the dealer is always going to try to maximize his profits. It's just business. Now, that being said, if you take the car in due to a known problem, and they tell you, "(X) is what is causing the problem, and (X) is what we have to do to fix it", then you would probably want to have that service done.

No, I never felt any problems at all accelerating that I've noticed. I haven't had any engine lights come on or any other problems. I just decided to take it into 30K service as the time was right. I use premium gas every time I fill up and synthetic oil changes every 5K miles, and I don't tend to accelerate or decelerate quickly (I tend to do more highway driving than city driving), so I don't understand why it would happen so quickly.

No, I never felt any problems at all accelerating that I've noticed. I haven't had any engine lights come on or any other problems. I just decided to take it into 30K service as the time was right. I use premium gas every time I fill up and synthetic oil changes every 5K miles, and I don't tend to accelerate or decelerate quickly (I tend to do more highway driving than city driving), so I don't understand why it would happen so quickly.

I spoke to my independent mechanic after getting my G35 back from the dealer, and he told me that in his experience, carbon is not an issue on most cars till at least 60k miles. I personally think that you'll be fine not having it done.

I spoke to my independent mechanic after getting my G35 back from the dealer, and he told me that in his experience, carbon is not an issue on most cars till at least 60k miles. I personally think that you'll be fine not having it done.

I've decided not to go with it. Trusting my gut as well getting a vibe as a preventive maintenance thing from the service person, although he threw out some 50-60% numbers which I didn't get, and of course what you said here.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

I think the dealer is BS'ing you. The IS250 has direct injection so the throttle body, intake manifold and the back side of the intake valve are all dry. No fuel/carbon should ever reach these areas. There is some EGR stuff but only mis-fires or back-fires would place carbon on these components and your car seems to be running fine.

Don't give the extra money to the dealer. If you are still concerned then you could run a fuel injector clreaner through a tank full of gas and it would only cost you like 5 dollars.

I am having my 30K service done on my 2006 Lexus IS250 AWD, and I got a call telling me that I have carbon build-up in the fuel system. They said it will cost be another $225 to get it cleaned. The car is only 2.5 years old and I've used premium gas in it every time. Is this something I should do?

I would stop waisting time and money at a dealer. I have had only but bad experiences from all. I bought my car cause I like it not because of the BS they tried to sell in terms of service. Once I have the free oil change done and if possible replace the dusty brake pads is good bye forever.

If your car has a carbon problem after 2.5 years, they should pay for it. It os not like you bought a Hunday

Techron is the good stuff. I run mostly Chevron and I've been know to pour a bottle in the tank once in awhile.

Right there with ya barkat... I have run Chevron exclusively in my last two cars. I heard from a very reputable mechanic that Techron is a very effective additive.