Hid For Rx 300

Jaywylze

I recently purchased HID Xenon bulbs to convert the color and look of the headlight units. But now im curious if i need to by a ballaster or not? I have seen several Lexus Ballasters for sale which would mean the Lexus already has a stock one in the car. Has anyone installed HID's and if so could could you please let me know if i need to install a new Ballaster or not, i purchased the bulbs a few days ago and they should be in soon.

Thanks

I have not done it yet on my RX300 but I plan to, I have however done it on other vehicles. Yes, you need a ballast, it is what ignites the bulbs you have, I doubt very seriously non hid rx300's have one ready in case you wanted to upgrade. They sell kits everywhere, especially on ebay (where I have purchased them before) that come ready with everything, ballasts, bulbs, wiring, etc. Now the question becomes, do you want the projection beams too? You can install just the bulbs but your chances of bliding oncoming traffic is very high b/c you have no "cut off". I have been looking for aftermarket projection beams for the rx300 and can not find any, so it is a gamble going with just the bulbs into the current housing. I am willing to try it, but I imagine I'll be upgrading the lamps as well, I did this to a cobra I have and I had to upgrade the housing, it was just too blinding. Does anyone know if a set up projection beams will fit into the non hid vehicles? If so there is the ticket to go after. Hope this helps some.

I have not done it yet on my RX300 but I plan to, I have however done it on other vehicles. Yes, you need a ballast, it is what ignites the bulbs you have, I doubt very seriously non hid rx300's have one ready in case you wanted to upgrade. They sell kits everywhere, especially on ebay (where I have purchased them before) that come ready with everything, ballasts, bulbs, wiring, etc. Now the question becomes, do you want the projection beams too? You can install just the bulbs but your chances of bliding oncoming traffic is very high b/c you have no "cut off". I have been looking for aftermarket projection beams for the rx300 and can not find any, so it is a gamble going with just the bulbs into the current housing. I am willing to try it, but I imagine I'll be upgrading the lamps as well, I did this to a cobra I have and I had to upgrade the housing, it was just too blinding. Does anyone know if a set up projection beams will fit into the non hid vehicles? If so there is the ticket to go after. Hope this helps some.

I just (a few hours ago) mentioned this in another topic on this forum: I have ordered (but not yet received) HIR Toshiba 9011 and 9012 bulbs. They are said to have +/- 60-75% increase in lighting (lumens) while still sonsuming only the same wattage as the 9005 and 9006 bulbs they replace. A perusal of a number of articles, posts, blogs, club topics - various makes - appear to testify as to their effectiveness and also warn of 'fakes', or, at the very least, bulbs that can legitimately call themselves by the DOT designations of 9011 or 9012, but in fact do not have the infrared reflective properties of the 'real' HIRs. As far as I can tell - but, of course, no guarantee -, the bulbs discussed at www.finemotoring.com seem genuine, and those are the ones I just purchased. Three important points (in no specific order): 1. Wattage is the sane as 'regular' bulbs, so no effect on wiring or on automatic electronic sensors; 2. filaments are in the same positions as the 9005 and 9006 bulbs, so the cut-offs and design features of the headlights are maintained; 3. LIfe is about the same or a touch longer than 'regular' 9005s and 9006s.

If you Google HIR - 9011 - 9012 bulbs you will see quite a bit of info., only some of which seems 'professionnel', the rest being 'aw dude these freak me out' style.

After a very simple filing down of a plastic tab, they are perfect replacement size.

It seems to me that this is a cost-effective, simple, reversible solution, with no downside.

I'm very interested in what you have said, please report back when you get yours and let us know how you like them.

I will do so with pleasure if I can still find the thread ... It will take a while, however, because the RX is now in Michigan (-- we are in Miami) and we will only be going there at Thanksgiving. My other car, the BMW, has original HIDs, so I cannot try them there. If - as I mentioned earlier - you Google those HIR bulbs, there are a number of car owners (owning different cars) who really like them. The interesting thing is that there were no negative comments, only some cautions (e.g. 'your headlights need to have well-defined cut-offs, you must be careful not to aim them too high because of the risk of blinding incoming drivers etc...).

• 2 weeks later...

I just received the bulbs I had mentioned. They are marked Toshiba 9011 and 9012, HIR1 and HIR2, and 65W and 55W. And they have the 'bulby' section with a faint iridescent sheen (the heat-reflective coating). The tabs to be cut/filed down were marked, one needs 1/2 the tab removed, the other 3/4 of the tab. I tackled the job over-enthusiastically with large toe-nail clippers, but the remnants look OK nonetheless. It's a good thing there are two other tabs (unaltered) to maintain guidance and control! The plastic files down easily. So, everything is as described, and I can't wait to try them!