Well I Bought It

cfiiman

After a few days going back and forth with the dealer I went ahead and came up some on the price of the 02 RX300 I was working with them on. I came up about 1K dollars more than my first offer which was low considering it was OTD, even with the body damage. Plus I made them throw in a Master key, which means they are swaping computers on it so I think that is fair. I think after some body shop visits it will not be too hard to get the body fixed for around 1500, which is much less than I thought at the time. The clincher for me though was from some of you guys that said service records make the difference, so I called the Lexus dealership and they ran the VIN for me. Turns out it was serviced at 5, 10, 20, 30, 60, 70 and 80K miles just recently and all at my local dealership, which explains what nice running/driving condition it is in. Also there were no open items such as recalls or anything else that had not been done. Plus when I pulled the oil and tranny dipsticks the oils were like brand new and the dealership had done nothing to it from trade in which is in line with my thoughts that the owner cared about the service. I am excited, although I have to admit this board oozes a lot of negativity about this vehicle which I can understand if you have had problems, that is never fun and would sour anyone I suppose. But I also feel some of you are like the "old crusty guy" eveyone knows that is never happy and always *BLEEP*ed off about something (no offense intended, just an observation). And I mean that more by the way I have read comments you have made to me as well as other posts in the archives I've read. Anyway, to all of you that helped thanks for your replies in other posts and I am glad to be a member of the club.

Good luck with your vehicle. I sincerely hope that after a year or two of dealing with it, you don't turn into an "old crusty guy" yourself. If you do, we'll send you your very own monogrammed cane....

RX, lol, I understand, and I just want you to know you were not one of the "old crusty guys" I was referring to lol. You have always been helpful, in fact your post in another thread was what prompted me to make sure of the "service history" as you pointed out. I feel like I have done everything I can do to ensure an informed purchase, it just simply comes down to if I have my mind set on an RX300, I have to buy one and take a chance as you would with any vehicle used. I guess I can look into an extended warranty but I doubt one is even available, and it sounds like even when you have it the dealers try to screw you by saying stuff isn't covered. :huh:

Congrats! You are right in that people usually post only if there is a problem (myself included) but there have been other posts from people who are quite happy with their Rx300 up to 200K miles and beyond. Hope your damage is easily fixable. FWIW, I lurk on the GMC forums (have an older Yukon) and you wouldn't believe how many issues are there. RX is MUCH better from a reliability standpoint based on forum posts. Have you posted any pics of the damage? Just a nosy DIY'er. Regards

Hey great looking truck, enjoy, from one of the crusty old crabs. I am definetly a diy, so let the questions flow, this site and Club Lexus are full of answers.