Why Would A 2000 Rx300 Need A New Engine And Transmission?

90LS400Lexus

I found a local RX300 in the newspaper for $1300. At first I thought it was a mis-print, but then it said it needed a new engine and transmission.

After some research I seen where some people had a sludge issue and wondering if this was the case on this car, but wondering why it would need a transmission as well.

Was there not a recall with the "sludge" problem?

Nevermind... I just searched more and seen where transmission problems were common on the 99-01 RX models.... I am a bit suprised though... I guess it where I am used to gen 1 LS400s (which I have owned a couple of), with well over 200K with perfect engines and transmissions still shifting as smooth as silk. Too bad the quality went down so drastically. :(

Tony, others may tell you differently, but having owned a car with the same engine, I think most of the problems you hear about with the RX are just caused by lack of proper maintenance. When taken care of properly, I think the RX is still a great quality car and would not hesitate to buy one.

$1300 probably means you could get it for $1000. Find a good used motor/transmission and you might end up with a very nice RX for a very nice price.

Tony, others may tell you differently, but having owned a car with the same engine, I think most of the problems you hear about with the RX are just caused by lack of proper maintenance.

Thomas- Guess you haven't done much reading about the engine and transmission problems have you? If you had I don't think you would have made that statement.

The lady replied... she said the engine was locked up (I guess sludge) and the transmission would not shift into O/D.

What year is it? Once you add the price of the RX plus the cost of a new trans plus a new engine, you may find it cheaper and less painful to buy a working one. Usually a car needing a trans and engine also needs other items to bring it up to par.

There is one bright spot, regarding the trans not shifting into overdrive. It is most likely not a trans problem. This is usually due to a check engine light on and the ECU putting the trans into safe mode not allowing it to shift into overdrive. Once the CEL is fixed the trans goes back to normal. Even if this is the case, unless that trans was replaced already, it will eventually fail. I don't know where that off the wall statement about poor maintenance causing all the failures came from.

What year is it?

Its a 2000 model, with over 200K miles. Thanks for the info!

Maybe Lexus would help in changing the engine? They have done that, and have 8 years warranty...

This would make it a great deal.....

Good luck!

The lady replied... she said the engine was locked up (I guess sludge) and the transmission would not shift into O/D.

A check engine light will keep the trans from shifting into O/D. Maybe you just need an engine? Now define "locked up". That could be mom talk for a seized alternator or air pump that keeps the engine from turning over. Dig deeper on that one too.

A check engine light will keep the trans from shifting into O/D. Maybe you just need an engine? Now define "locked up". That could be mom talk for a seized alternator or air pump that keeps the engine from turning over. Dig deeper on that one too.

Thanks. She kept saying she was "no mechanic" and unsure of the problems, but said she only knew the engine was locked up and the transmission would not shift into O/D.

It may be sold by now.