New Tires

SoCo Mama

I need to replace the tires on my 1999 Lexus RX300 SUV AWD. I live in colorado & therefore need all year radials. I would like some suggestions from other Lexus RX300 owners who, preferably, live in the Rocky Mountain area and their experiences with tires and how they perform in the winter weather, rain, etc. Any suggestions will help me greatly, thank you.

I just put a set of 235/55R-18 KUMHO ROAD VENTURE from http://tirerack.com

They have lots of siping and also some additional knobs on the shoulder of the tire to help kick up some mud and light snow. On the highway they are smooth and quiet.

Joe, have you noticed any reduction in gas mileage with these tires? I have been researching tires also and in all the reveiws on Tire Rack, there was one complaint on reduced mileage. (Not a Lexus)

Thanks,

Bill

tirerack.com has a huge data base of customers and they usually have a winter tire section where they rate winter qualified tires against each other. Then, they include a owner's comment section where people can post their +s and -s on a particular tire. I know I have used Tire Rack for this in the past when I was in the market for winter tires.

Gary

They have lots of siping and also some additional knobs on the shoulder of the tire to help kick up some mud and light snow. On the highway they are smooth and quiet.

Hefty, which model specifically?

Road Venture APT KL51

Road Venture HT

Road Venture MT KL71

Road Venture AT KL-78

Road Venture ST

?

Bridgestone dueler Alenza's

:D

A little pricy, but they are the best tires i've put on the RX300. Had them on for over a year without a single issue in either snow, rain, LOTS of rain, or just daily driving. They're incredibly quiet and smooth yet work EXTREMELY well in poor conditions. I have to recommend them 100%

Look up the ratings at tirerack.com. They sweep the board...

I put a set of Alenzas on my wife's 2004 RX330 AWD approximately 38,000 miles ago and they are great tires in all types of weather conditions, no question about it. They may very well come close to the 65,000-mile treadlife warranty given my wife's light right foot and my propensity to check all of our tire pressures every weekend. But for an RX300 with 16-inch wheels, I recommend the Firestone Destination LE. It uses most of the same technology as the Alenza and is essentially the Alenza's close cousin for just over half the price (the last time I checked) as the Alenza. I had a set of Destinations on my wife's previous 2000 RX300 AWD and currently have a set on my daughter's 2000 Grand Cherokee - best SUV tire value for the money, hands down. The only reason I put Alenzas on my wife's current 2004 RX330 AWD instead of Destinations is because the Destination is not built in an 18-inch wheel application. If the Destination LE is eventually built for 18-inch wheels, I'll go back to that tire when my wife's current set of Alenzas finally gives up the ghost....

They are a little pricey but I have never found a better or more trouble free tire than Bridgestone. I have Yokohama's on my truck and like them but I tried a set on my wife's car and after putting up with random vibration for 20k mi. and 3 rebalances (I'm a patient and busy guy), I said get 'em off of there! They were not cheap tires either. Looked like new after 20k mi. but I couldn't stand they imbalance. The Bridgestones that were the original tires were built so well that 1 of them took NO weight to balance and the other 3 took 1/2- 3/4 oz.! Smooth as silk at any speed too!

A little pricy, but they are the best tires i've put on the RX300. Had them on for over a year without a single issue in either snow, rain, LOTS of rain, or just daily driving. They're incredibly quiet and smooth yet work EXTREMELY well in poor conditions. I have to recommend them 100%

Look up the ratings at tirerack.com. They sweep the board...

Gotcha

Gotcha

Gotcha

Gotcha

Great input guys, I've put them on the top of the list.

If you go Bridgestone, make sure it is the Alenza tire and not the various and sundry other Bridgestone Dueler models. All other Bridgestone Duelers EXCEPT the Alenza are very mediocre and some Duelers are actually poor. So if you go Bridgestone, it is Alenza or nothing. I still say that you would be wise to check out the Firestone Destination LE. It gives you 90% of the Alenza's features and warranty at just over half the cost....

Hefty, which model specifically?

Road Venture APT KL51

Road Venture HT

Road Venture MT KL71

Road Venture AT KL-78

Road Venture ST

?

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I cut off the end of the model when I copied and pasted that the first time, my bad.

They are the Road Venture APT KL51

The Lexus came with the Michelin Energy tires which were rated as one of the best at MPG efficiency out of most any other tire compared on Consumer Reports. So, going with any tire other then the Michelin energy you are going to drop 1-2 MPG. However, the harder compound in the Michelin energy meant that the tires would squeal like crazy especially with the Lexus's short first gear (as far as automatics go). These new Kumho's hook up like a champ in the dry. I could get a good 5 foot peel out in the Michelin's but these just hook and go.

"I have Yokohama's on my truck and like them but I tried a set on my wife's car and after putting up with random vibration for 20k mi. and 3 rebalances"

Some of the Yokohama or Kumho passenger tires find themselves on the cheaper end of the price spectrum because they are completely nylon wound tires. These are more prone to flat spotting and vibration for the first 10-15 minutes of driving. The vibration disappears after the tires warm back up. The vibration will be more pronounced in colder weather. The Yokohama Avid Vs4 or Ws4 is an excellent passenger care tire hands down. Absolutely, glued to the road during heavy rain storms. A bit of a sizzle at lower parking lot speeds during heavy turn in. Otherwise, great compromise between performance/comfort.