Loose Steering At Highway Speeds

lbinh

My 93 ES takes a lot of input to steer at highway speeds. Just imagine the easy power assisted steering at low speeds but it happens at high speeds with my car. Just started to do this. It has 143K on it.

So just imagine trying to switch lanes or manuever on the freeway and it takes a half of a wheel turn to slowly switch lanes. Not to mention it takes the same amount to aviod things and then the opposite turn and amount to get back. Quite stressful driving experience.

No power steering noises or leaks and I frequently replace the p/s fluid with Synthetic ATF for a while now. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

Get that thing to a good mechanic now.

A bit about power steering. Can you envision a rack and pinion unit, the way it works?

Your steering wheel/shaft has a gear at the end of it that drives a straight rod with teeth in it. It's completely, positively hooked up.

The power part is just a pump feeding both sides of a piston, helping you.

If what you say above is true, then you need someone to look at it now. No waiting.

Get that thing to a good mechanic now.

A bit about power steering. Can you envision a rack and pinion unit, the way it works?

Your steering wheel/shaft has a gear at the end of it that drives a straight rod with teeth in it. It's completely, positively hooked up.

The power part is just a pump feeding both sides of a piston, helping you.

If what you say above is true, then you need someone to look at it now. No waiting.

Sounds ominous. What could happen if I don't fix it in time?. The system seems to work fine at low speeds. That tells me the power is there but it is suppose to get stiffer at higher speeds which it doesn't.

I will get a shop to look at sometime this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

After dealing/suffering with Hurricane Ike's fury, my Mechanic replaced R&P for $395 parts and labor. He lifted the car and showed where the passenger R&P boot tore and flung fluid all over the bottom right side of engine. Steering is back to normal feel now. I now need an alignment.

He also showed me a torn CV boot on driver side and not to mention the other repairs I already made. Man, beggining to replace a lot of parts at 145K. Better than a car note I suppose.

Thanks for all the advice.