Is300 01 Oil Leak Problem

smile_apj

Hello All

I am new to Lexus world and this is my first car Lexus IS300 2001 model. I bought this car just a week ago on 27th of Aug 2008.

During long weekend (on labour day 2008) I was planning to go to Ohio from Boston (almost 640 miles). Before leaving I did a quick check. Then, I got the OIL change (semi-synthetic one) and battery replacement from local SHALL dealer on Wednesday. However, that turned out to be real problem.

I started from Boston around 7.30 AM on Friday, after running 400 miles, with 2 quick breaks in between, I saw engine oil light was coming ON, again and again.

I took an exit on RT-90W and checked up with some local gas station guy. He did a quick check and for my surprise, there was no engine oil in engine :( I was surprised where did oil go?

He asked me to put some oil and I put 3 Qt of synthetic oil (5w-30) from that GAS station. I checked the engine oil and it was up to the mark now.

Car ran perfectly and I reached OH safely. Next day I had to start to Pittsburgh and the same prob again I bought few qt of oil and put the engine oil again.

I did the same thing again and again on almost every 200 to 250 miles until I reached to boston.

My problem is where this oil is going? I don't see it dripping down on the ground? Is it a problem with SHALL dealer who did the oil change and left somethign open? or this could be some other issue?

I am very new to the cars and don't know much things :( Car just has 75K miles on it. Other than this car almost runs pretty good.

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

ash

If you can't find a leak is there smoke coming from the exhaust?

Thanks for the quick reply Sir.

This car has after market bigger exhaust system, which kinda makes more noise than the regular stock one.

I am sure it throws more smoke than the regular one but not very sure if its visible in the air.

Tomorrow I am going to check with SHALL mechanic to run through if air filter was installed correctly or not? I am not sure if thats gonna help.

However post check up I will update you guys for any PRO- advice :)

Thank you again.

I suggest doing your own oil change. First of all you'll know how to do it and second, you'll make sure that nothing is leaking. There could only be two problems that I can think of. One - something is not tight enough and maybe it's coming out of the bottom. Two - the oil is burning in the exhaust.

Thanks everyone for the reply.

Finally, I had been to SHELL Gas station where I had the oil change first time. He lifted the car up, there was some oil but not much. However, later he showed me the exhaust, he put the finger in to exhaust and showed me it was all black charcoal kind of stuff coming with the finger.

He concluded saying, the oil is burning somewhere.

He also said I may need to check up the engine :(

Guys you are the experts. Please guide me.

Thanks again.

I don't think you can really tell by the sut in the tailpipe. Any car is gonna have that. Before you get into it too deeply though you should really check the PCV valve, and air cleaner and see if it's blowing oil.

Internal problems could be bad crank bearings and/or worn out piston rings. That would seem unusual though at that mileage.

Does the engine make any rattling noises when you push or let off the gas?

You have to have a leak somewhere. If you were burning 3 to 4 qt's every 250 miles, the plume of smoke behind you would be pretty noticable. You may have a bad oil sending unit seal, or oil pump seal. And Bartkat is right, putting your finger in the exhaust and finding carbon is not any indicator of burning oil.

I noticed you also said you took it to Shell for an oil change? Have you checked the drain plug to make sure it was tight and the crush washer is sealed? Also look at the oil filter and make sure it's on tight. Just use your hands and turn it hard.

You have to have a leak somewhere. If you were burning 3 to 4 qt's every 250 miles, the plume of smoke behind you would be pretty noticable. You may have a bad oil sending unit seal, or oil pump seal. And Bartkat is right, putting your finger in the exhaust and finding carbon is not any indicator of burning oil.

I noticed you also said you took it to Shell for an oil change? Have you checked the drain plug to make sure it was tight and the crush washer is sealed? Also look at the oil filter and make sure it's on tight. Just use your hands and turn it hard.

Bartkat, smooth1

Sincere thanks for your replies.

As per as Shell dealer, drain plug and Oil filter is tight. Looks like he did his job correctly. I need to confirm about PCV valve and air filter things which both of you are talking about.

Tomorrow I am planning to take my car to some mechanic for the diagnosis. Since this is my first car in MA, I am just wondering, will it be a good idea to go to Toyota/lexus dealer for the diagnosis or I should refer some local mechanic?

Thanks again guys

Smooth1-> I liked your following lines though: ) I was just thinking what category my car belongs to :-

"Cheap and Reliable wont be Fast.

Fast and Cheap wont be Reliable.

Reliable and Fast wont be Cheap."

If I were you, I would take it to someone you know first. If you don't know someone, then take it to Lexus and have them diagnose it for you. Then come back here and tell us what they told you and how much to fix it. Then we can go from there.

Dear all

Finally after the appointment with a local mechanic, my colleagues say he is good, I took my car today to him.

He lifted the car, looked all over and said oil is everywhere. Since oil is everywhere he said he can't diagnose anything at this moment.

He asked me to leave the car for a day, when he will clean the oil from the engine and will see from where its leaking. Since he couldn't diagnose it at this moment he couldn't tell the estimates too :(

For now, I am keeping my finger cross, I am going to leave my car to him on Monday and then gonna see what happens.

Between I am going to put a paper or sheet under my car and will see if oil is dripping from there.

Thanks everyone, will catch all of you ASAP.

Have a nice weekend.

If I were you, I would take it to someone you know first. If you don't know someone, then take it to Lexus and have them diagnose it for you. Then come back here and tell us what they told you and how much to fix it. Then we can go from there.

Dear all

Today mechanic checked everything inside and he said it requires a gasket change. He is charging 275 bucks for gasket change.

Can you please confirm if that price is OK?

Thanks.

Which gasket is he changing?

The one that's leaking? :lol:

Good one guys. Well Bartkat is right, the one that's leaking ;)

On a serious note, its Valve cover gasket which needs a replacement. I have also asked to check the spark plugs, PCV seals and all fluids level.

Do you think any other part has to be replaced at this moment? And, what about 275 bucks is that right?

Also, would gasket change require the Engine OIL change?

Thanks again to all of you.

Once car is on track I am gonna publish some pics of my baby.

Yeah, I guess it's alright. But my question is how did you blow a valve cover gasket? That just sounds out of place. I don't think I have ever seen this as an issue on the 2JZ motors unless they did alot of modding on them. I'm not saying it's impossible or not the problem here, it's just not a normal issue at all with these motors.

Yeah, I guess it's alright. But my question is how did you blow a valve cover gasket? That just sounds out of place. I don't think I have ever seen this as an issue on the 2JZ motors unless they did alot of modding on them. I'm not saying it's impossible or not the problem here, it's just not a normal issue at all with these motors.

Smooth1

I think you may be right. This car has gone through with some modifications by previous owner. Need to figure out what all modifications.

Few things I could know about this car's modifications are:

-> 20 rich Giovanna wheels with sleek Michelin tires. These wheels are so big that previous owner had to remove the inner fenders to drive the vehicle. Otherwise wheels were hitting inner fenders on turns. I still need to find a solution for it.

-> After market muffler (not sure GReddy or something elsse)

-> Custom painted red and black dashboard

-> Tinted glasses

-> Big Amp and kicker

-> I remember this guy was talking of Turboeing this car and in the end he decided going against it. ( I really don;t know what he was trying to do, but is this the thing which probably could have blown the gasket)

I think at first place its my mistake, I was so tempted that I just bought it as it is and then ran for long-long drive to OHIO.

To tell you the truth apart from these problems I just love this car.

And, I love to be part of LOC family :)

Ah HAH!!! I knew it!! :) The truth comes out!

Ok, well now it makes alot more sense. He may have taken the valve cover off and reused the same gasket which may be why your having this issue now. Who knows what he was tinkering with under the hood. well, atleast so far this is all the problem was. Can you take a picture of the car and the engine and post them here so we can get a good look? The car sounds pretty nice! And the IS 300 is just really a very nice car on so many levels.

And we're glad you like it here too. ;)

Ah HAH!!! I knew it!! :) The truth comes out!

Ok, well now it makes alot more sense. He may have taken the valve cover off and reused the same gasket which may be why your having this issue now. Who knows what he was tinkering with under the hood. well, atleast so far this is all the problem was. Can you take a picture of the car and the engine and post them here so we can get a good look? The car sounds pretty nice! And the IS 300 is just really a very nice car on so many levels.

And we're glad you like it here too. ;)

Thanks Smooth1.

I really don't have much idea about what you are saying. May be after sometime it will make lot of sense.

Sorry for asking naive question, but why on earth someone remove the valve cover off? Does it improve the car's performance?

Also, do you want me to open the hood and take a close picture of it and post it?

Thanks again.

• 11 years later...

- - 2001 IS 300 preventative maintenance - - 

So I bought my car last June and I've loved the car ever since. Since the mileage was over 150k,  I've had to put some TLC into some parts of the car and got things working again.

However, one thing that continues to bothers me is how there's a steady appearance of oil dripping around the vehicles engine, small drops of them here and there all over the bottom. What

I would like to ask is how to fix this and maintain it, and restore the cars ability to retain the oil I put in. The oil is the same synthetic blend 5W-30. I considering taking it to a shop and getting

it looked at and then decide.

Any ideas as to what might be happening?

At that age, I would guess that your valve cover gaskets need to be replaced. We just had ours done on our 2006 (purchased in 2005) RX400h. After that many years of daily use, I can't say that I am surprised. We had about 120,000 miles on the odometer when we started smelling burning oil, now and again.