Oil Change For Rx350

Sorry if this is old news, but I couldn't find any info, except for the excellent rx330 page. You may want to merge this with that...

Raise car - or not.

remove 2) 10mm bolts in small panel below engine to get to the oil filter canister. A 3/8" ratchet and a 4-6" extension will remove the canister. No 'filter wrench' or socket is needed.

The oil pan drain is not covered, and easily accessible.

6.2 quarts of 5w30 oil will refill the engine.

My painful suggestion, learned the hard way long ago - Remove the fill cap and place it so you can't close the hood. I like to put it in the way of the hood latch (not where you would dent the hood if closed). I lost all the oil on a 3 hour trip in my 20's, and I KNOW I'm not getting smarter in my 50's.

If you don't want to do the deed, or are addicted to 'free' muffins and drinks, take the car to a Toyota dealer or a trusted independent shop. Cheap oil change chains can be risky.

Rotate tires every 5k. All tire manufacturers recommend 5 tire rotation. Find the pattern on line. Don't know why the manual doesn't recommend cross-rotation, like it was still 1975!

Once you replace the tires, keep the best as the spare and go with 4 tire rotations.

A 3/8" ratchet and a 4-6" extension will remove the canister. No 'filter wrench' or socket is needed.

While this may be true, it is not what is recommended. The 3/8" extension will remove a little cap that will allow you to drain the canister before removing it and spilling oil. If it has been tighten too tightly then the whole filter canister spins rather than the little cap. The small "O" ring under the little cap can't be changed if it is not removed.

The box with the new filter should have two "O" rings and a plastic gizmo that fits into a hole that the little cap on the canister covered. A piece of 5/8" hose will fit right onto the gizmo to help control the draining of the cannister. I use about a 10 inch piece of hose.

Then the canister can be removed with a filter wrench specially designed for the purpose. Assenmacher makes a metal one that is 65MM if I remember correctly - part #TOY640. NAPA auto parts also has plastic ones that work.

• 1 month later...
Personally I'm not gonna take the time to rotate tires every 5k miles. I don't think that's necessary.

To get optimum wear out of your tires, you should rotate every 5K miles.

Not totally true, as I have rotated every 5K and still get only 30K out of them!

• 2 months later...

Did the 10k mile oil/filter change on my wife's 09 RX350 today...piece o' cake!

removed the oil pan drain plug and let oil drain into pan.

removed two 10mm screws from oil filter access plate and set aside.

after oil had finished draining, removed the filter housing by using a modified 67/65mm end cap wrench (the 67mm portion removed with my dremel tool) attached to a 6" extension and 3/8" ratchet. IIRC, the oil filter end cap wrench cost about $5 at Walmart.

I didn't bother removing the filter housing's drain plug...just loosened with the end cap wrench then slowly by hand, allowing the oil to spill over the edges of the filter housing and drain into the pan.

installed oil pan drain plug, installed a new filter element in the filter housing, replaced the O-ring on the housing and coated it with fresh oil, then reinstalled the filter housing.

Started the engine, checked for leaks...installed the filter housing cover with two 10mm screws, reset the "maintenance required" light on the dash and called it done...

I could do it in less than 15 minutes start to finish the next time.

• 3 weeks later...
Personally I'm not gonna take the time to rotate tires every 5k miles. I don't think that's necessary.

Don't you have it serviced every 5K miles anyway (Lexus recommended)? If so, that's the perfect time to have tires rotated as part of each 5K mile service visit. And everything I've read recommends the 5K mile rotation schedule..

Not totally true, as I have rotated every 5K and still get only 30K out of them!

Sounds like operator driving habits to me, rather than tire quality or rotation issues. :rolleyes: 5K mile rotation is still the recommended schedule..