Fuel Filter

pgmontana

I have a 2000 RX300 with 150,000 miles and the original fuel filter. Both my Lexus dealer and independent mechanic claim to have never replaced fuel filters on these vehicles. Are these lifetime filters and if not, how are they replaced? I think the rear seat must be removed to access the top of the fuel tank and the filter is somehow in the tank or the tank needs to be drained to locate the filter. Has anyone done this job? It sounds like a lot of work.

I would venture a guess that the owner's manual will give the change interval on the fuel filter, if one is needed. In my experience, fuel filters never last 150000 miles though so I would think about doing the job. No idea how so I will watch this closely.

Yes, the fuel filter is in the gas tank. It is not designed to be routinely changed. No way would I ever even think about changing this fuel filter unless I was having problems that are definitely attributed to it. You're talking about some serious, serious (and dangerous) work here....

Yes, the fuel filter is in the gas tank. It is not designed to be routinely changed. No way would I ever even think about changing this fuel filter unless I was having problems that are definitely attributed to it. You're talking about some serious, serious (and dangerous) work here....

Though I agree, these RX's don't seem to hardly ever need the filter changed, I would hardly consider it dangerous work. I have soldered many gas tanks (with a torch) and never had any problem, nor did I fear any problem. Probably the most dangerous part would be the chances of getting a hangnail while taking the seat out. Having said that, I probably wouldn't bother to change it if I wasn't having problems that would point to that. Does anyone have any idea why the filter in an RX doesn't seem to get clogged and some vehicles require frequent changing to keep from having problems? Just curious.