Opinions On All Season Performance Tires For 2006 Gs430

Just purchased my 2006 GS430 this weekend and I need some tires before winter...the factory run-flats are so noisy and about done. Tire rack shows the Bridgestone Pole Position all season ranked first. I have used Michelin Pilot sport A/s(ranked 4th on tire rack) on another car and they performed well . I do have to deal with snow in Ohio...do most of you switch to full snows? Is is necessary or do the A/S do ok?

Thanks for the help.

I currently have 18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my GS AWD and I like them very much for rain and dry pavement. I have nto used them in snow. The stock 17" rims still have the runfarts on them and I am up in the air as to whether or not they will be used in the winter. I purchased the car from my Aunt and she said the two winters that she had the runflats they were great in the snow with the AWD. However, she live on Cape Cod and got mostly rain so I don't know how much snow the runflats actually saw.

I do know that I am not going to be running the Pilots in the snow for two reasons: 1. they got a poor reveiw and 2. I didn not buy the 18" rims for use in the New England winters.

I will probably start out with the runflats and see how it goes. If they feel unsafe or like they have minimal traction I will be getting a dedicated set of performance snow tires: Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 or Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D (not runflat version).

steviej

I currently have 18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my GS AWD and I like them very much for rain and dry pavement. I have nto used them in snow. The stock 17" rims still have the runfarts on them and I am up in the air as to whether or not they will be used in the winter. I purchased the car from my Aunt and she said the two winters that she had the runflats they were great in the snow with the AWD. However, she live on Cape Cod and got mostly rain so I don't know how much snow the runflats actually saw.

I do know that I am not going to be running the Pilots in the snow for two reasons: 1. they got a poor reveiw and 2. I didn not buy the 18" rims for use in the New England winters.

I will probably start out with the runflats and see how it goes. If they feel unsafe or like they have minimal traction I will be getting a dedicated set of performance snow tires: Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 or Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D (not runflat version).

steviej

Hey,

I have those michelin pilot sports a/s, and they ride very nice. However, I have noticed that these tires give me alot of road feedback on the highways and tend to vibrate in the steering wheel only a bit on certain stretches of highways and become very smooth on majority of the other highways. I have balanced these wheels/tires several times, but I know the road force are very good for these tires, so I have not done that yet. Do you feel any highway vibration (regardless of speed) on certain tarmac or cement roads or roads with grooves? i am not sure if it has to do with the aggressive tire design of these michelins that gives feedback through the steering wheel. Please let me know as much as you can regarding these tires. I have had other summer tires low profile high performance but never felt too much difference between driving on certain road type or have had any tiny vibration I am having now. The vibration is not there on most of the highways though even up to 80-90. Thank,

Dave

Hey,

I have those michelin pilot sports a/s, and they ride very nice. However, I have noticed that these tires give me alot of road feedback on the highways and tend to vibrate in the steering wheel only a bit on certain stretches of highways and become very smooth on majority of the other highways. I have balanced these wheels/tires several times, but I know the road force are very good for these tires, so I have not done that yet. Do you feel any highway vibration (regardless of speed) on certain tarmac or cement roads or roads with grooves? i am not sure if it has to do with the aggressive tire design of these michelins that gives feedback through the steering wheel. Please let me know as much as you can regarding these tires. I have had other summer tires low profile high performance but never felt too much difference between driving on certain road type or have had any tiny vibration I am having now. The vibration is not there on most of the highways though even up to 80-90. Thank,

Dave

The tire I am running is a 245. This is the widest tire I have ever ridden on. Most all road surfaces are smooth, other than the traditional feel of the road (New England has alot of crappy roads). Of coarse highways are going to vary depending on the condition and age of the surface. Newly tarred roads are wicked smooth and old roads are not. Overall the feel is very smooth. The profile is also a 40 on an 18" rim. That alone is going to set me up to feel more of the surface because there is less cushioning sidewall to absord the vibration --this being compared to my 17" runfarts. I have no vibration in the steering wheel at all.

steviej