Steering Wheel Shake When Braking

I just bought a 99 GS400 in what appears to be perfect shape. I just noticed that sudden braking from 60-50 generates steering wheel vibration and I feel it in the brakes. When I brought the car to the dealer for its 30K service he said the rotors are probably warped since there are no other indications that is the alignment or unbalanced wheels. This doesn't happen at any other speed , weird.

Is there a doctor in the house? Has anyone experieced this or have any idea of what may be causing this? Please reply or email off list bennynjets@comcast.net

I too have a 99 GS. I have the same problem. I didn't however, a week ago. I needed to brake hard since a nice elderly lady decided to make an very quick stop at an intersection ( with no stop sign on her side ) I had the turbo wound up after smoking a truck and OH :censored: Well you got the idea....... I too am in the market. If you find a group buy, let me know....... LEXO :D

Some brake pads does cause the rotors to warp like the NEW ES300 and ES330. All of the brake pads are made from different material. On GS you don't have to change the pads.....just the rotors. Don't waste your time resurfacing the rotors because it will warped again. If you vehicle under warr the dealer will automatic replace the rotors and pads for you(They make money off the parts). I've been around the block so I know these things. B)

www.jpimportz.org

JPI is right...company policy is to replace brake parts under warranty...however 99 is no long under warranty....and NO your rotors shouldn't warp again after turning..the only reason this would happen is if the tech took off too much material or if you are made to make an extremely sudden stop like Lexo had too. most people after having thier rotors simply turned go 40-60K before they need it done again....my own dad's LS400 '96 has just had the rear rotors replaced this week after 189K the fronts were finally replace after 175K a few months ago...this car is mostly highway driven though....but that doesn't seem to make much difference from what i see come through the shop...however if you drive your car like you mean it (or like it's stolen whichever phrase you prefer) you should go with a really heavy duty set of aftermarket rotors (probably drilled and slotted if you can find it) and some good brake pads (EBC makes excellent pads for these vehicles) but if you drive your car like a sain person you should have no problem with the stock rotors...turned or replaced....hey if you couldn't turn them and not have problems...we certainly wouldn't do it!...

-Tyler

We did turn the rotors on these and they always come back. So we would just replace.....that way it won't make us look like an !Removed!. The clients coming back with the same problem, this time we will have to replace the rotors for free(not good). The price of cutting rotors about the same as new rotors, well pretty close.

www.jpimportz.org

Hey guys remember this, it won't matter what pads or rotors you run if your wheels are not torqued, any time your wheels are removed make sure your mechanic torques your wheels

and does not just install them with an impact gun. A combination of heat and unevenly applied pressure will warp a rotor every time. Invest in good torque wrench and save yourself some money, 75 Foot lbs. for GS.

Hey guys remember this, it won't matter what pads or rotors you run if your wheels are not torqued,  any time your wheels are removed make sure your mechanic torques your wheels

and does not just install them with an impact gun. A combination of heat and unevenly applied pressure will warp a rotor every time. Invest in good torque wrench and save yourself some money, 75 Foot lbs. for GS.

He is right. You have to torque your wheel properly. Not that many techs use torque stick(WE ALWAYS DO !!!!!!!!!!). Next time you have your tires rotate or change ask the tech if he used the torque stick.

www.jpmportz.org

Thanks to everyone's posts, all very good advice. Since the problem is more annoying than anything else, and only at certain braking speeds, I think I will live with it until its time to replace pads .

Now, if Santa will only deliver thos 18" chromes and a window tint gift certificate....

Happy Holidaze to all!

Speed safely!