Dashboard Treatment!

I am not a fan of Armorall so I wonder what if anything, people are treating the dashboard surface with. Mine looks like it could use something but don want to make a mistake. I do not want a shinny dashboard. Anything from Zaino that would work well???

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Keith B

La Quinta, CA

I am not a fan of Armorall so I wonder what if anything, people are treating the dashboard surface with. Mine looks like it could use something but don want to make a mistake. I do not want a shinny dashboard. Anything from Zaino that would work well???

Keith B

La Quinta, CA

Keith -

I stay away from Armorall as well, I recall reading a report that it actually harmed surfaces plus, it is more intended for vinyl. I would encourage the use of a leather cleaner and prep product - Mothers and McQuires (sp) are top choices in that area.

Best of luck.

Dave

Laguana Niguel

ArmorAll won't hurt the dashboard...which is made of vinyl by the way, not leather.

Saying that I feel its way too shiny and greasy. I like a product called Ultima Interior Sealant, google search it ;)

Keith B

La Quinta, CA

Keith -

I stay away from Armorall as well, I recall reading a report that it actually harmed surfaces plus, it is more intended for vinyl. I would encourage the use of a leather cleaner and prep product - Mothers and McQuires (sp) are top choices in that area.

Best of luck.

Dave

Laguana Niguel

I use a product from Griot's Garage called Vinyl & Rubber Dressing. You apply it sparingly so it isn't costly to use. I use it on both my dash and tires. It gives a very nice protection to the dash that is not shiny at all. Same with the tires.

Ron

I don't use anything except a little windex sprayed on a clean white rag to wipe down the dash. The dash is designed to be anti-glare and Armorall and other "glossy" chemicals will defeat the surface design. I'm not sure why you need to "treat" the dash. I've owned many cars and trucks and the dash areas are exposed to some serious sunlight and heat here in sunny AZ and even in my older trucks, I have never had a problem with the dash boards. Perhaps a very cold climate may have a bad effect. :huh:

Oh no no no. Don't use Windex, Windex will discolor the vinyl and strip off the UV coating...Windex is for windows...its not an all purpose cleaner like a lot of people think.

If you want to just wipe the dash down, do it with a damp cloth or with a product designed for automotive interiors. I like Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer. Leaves no residue.

The answer is that you really don't need to protect the dash for the purposes of protecting the dash...modern dashes have UV protective qualities already.

I don't know whether you're being sarcastic or not, but to everyone else Windex is not appropriate for use on anything but windows, and it will strip and damage surfaces that it is not designed to be used on.

The reason why modern dashboards don't really need protectants is that they are coated with a UV blocking coating at the factory. This coating is one of the things innapropriate cleaners like Windex will strip off.

As someone who has had Windex drip on a peice of trim when cleaning windows and didn't remove it for 40 seconds maybe and had it completely take the color out of the trim under the droplet of Windex, I don't even use Windex for automotive windows anymore.

They make plenty of very good cleaners designed for vinyl and automotive interior materials and they are no more expensive than windex, or in the absense of these products just a damp rag works fine. No need to use things you shouldn't use...

Randy,

IMHO, I've never used anything but water to clean my windows. It safe and you can beat the cost. Beside once you wash the car to include the windows with whatever car wash soap you use they should be clean. During the drying process I just use two clean towels dedicated for the windows. One I wet with just H2O to wipe the entire windows surfaces and to prevent any water spots from formulating followed with the second dry towel to finish the process. Just make sure you work one window at time again to prevent any water spots from formulating and drying. The results are streak free windows. It's been working for me since 1977. I did try Window on my first car way back then but I could never keep it from streaking. Hope this helpl

DrJamz

Nope I wasn't being sarcastic. I always thought Windex was a fairly mild cleaner. I didn't know about the UV protection on the dash - although it makes good sense. And.... here is sunny AZ, I need all the UV protection I can get!!

I was once a chemical salesmen, and I know that a vinegar solution is sometimes recommended for windows, but it's an acid and can etch glass.

So, if don't use Windex for your car windows, what do you use?

Glad to hear it, hard to tell on the 'net ;)

I use a product called Stoner's Invisible Glass. Works well, actually better than Windex in my experience and is much milder when it drips on interior surfaces.

Actually I find I don't have to use window cleaner all that often if the windows are kept clean. On maintained windows just water will work as the above poster says.

Dirty windows, bugs, fog from interior offgassing, you'll need glass cleaner.

Stoner's is good stuff. I use that as well. And on glass, denatured alchohol works really well on getting rid of the fold over line from the windshield wipers. And I have also used the glass polish from Griot's with an orbital buffer on my older cars that have alot of water spot build ups. The glass was like brand new!

SW and DDoc are the pros though. I'm just piping in here.. :)

And for the dash I have been using the Griot's interior cleaner and the vinyl and rubber dessing that Manchester above mentioned. Great stuff!! I've been very impressed with thier products. I used to use the Armour All Natural Finish Gel with UV, but the Griot's lasts longer, goes on easier, and looks way better!

Stoner's is good stuff. I use that as well. And on glass, denatured alchohol works really well on getting rid of the fold over line from the windshield wipers. And I have also used the glass polish from Griot's with an orbital buffer on my older cars that have alot of water spot build ups. The glass was like brand new!

SW and DDoc are the pros though. I'm just piping in here.. :)

And for the dash I have been using the Griot's interior cleaner and the vinyl and rubber dessing that Manchester above mentioned. Great stuff!! I've been very impressed with thier products. I used to use the Armour All Natural Finish Gel with UV, but the Griot's lasts longer, goes on easier, and looks way better!

Yeah, i agree there they are the pros LOL. I use Meguairs glass cleaner WHEN I CAN FIND IT, because it doesnt strip the wax of the outside of the glass and is safe for the inside with the tint. otherwise i use stoners invisible glass. it comes in a spray can and i think they have it in wipes as well.

I just used Ultima's Interior Prep Gel and Interior Guard for the first time and let me say, it is the best interior protectant I've ever used. You just lightly clean everything with the Interior Prep Gel (leather, wood, vinyl, plastic, carpet, headliner) and the special pad that comes with it. Its a mild cleaner so any serious dirt will need to be pre-cleaned with something stronger. Then when done flip the pad over to the red side and put a nice even coat of the Interior Guard (very light coating, one spritz of the pad per seating area) over everything again, leather, vinyl, wood, plastic, everything) and let it sit for a couple hours with all the windows open.

It looks greasy at first but it dries to a great matte finish, makes everything feel very soft and new, and the leather feel very supple yet it leaves a nice glossy finish on the wood.

Very cool product and the only thing I'll use on interiors from now on.

An excellent product is Optimum Protectant Plus. SW03ES is right in that modern dashboards do not need protectants due to the coating, plus in addition the glass is made to filter out the UV rays anyway. However, I really like Optimum because it has a mild cleaner and it leaves behind a really pleasant leather scent and a nice matte finish as opposed to the greasy oily look of other products. I really like to use the Ultima Interior Guard Plus on the wood as it leaves a nice gloss.

Just wanted to chime in real quick because I saw some fuss about window cleaning ;)

oh and for my dash (to not hijack the thread haha) I have a pack of Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer wipes in the glovebox. quick painless and they honestly are a great product ^^

For the windows I actually use a glass cleaner called "Bon Ami Glass Cleaner" Up here in canada I can find it easily in 99% of any supermarket or chain store, I would be surprised if down south of the line you guys were not able to get some either. Red/white spray can btw, I know windex was trying to hijack the product for a while and their stuff is garbage... get the original - its cheaper anyways!

Its a thick foam type glass cleaner - DONT spray it IN the car !!!!! I take a soft terry cloth and spray some on (not thick thick but thick) away from the car and then go to work on the windows inside/out sunroof glass etc... saying this stuff is incredible is a complete understatement. I started using it on my house windows years ago and have never ever bought another glass cleaner since then. thats why I reached for it for the car windows too. boy do they look good !

Forget the sprays, windex, 10 buck a can window cleaner etc... get a can of this, 3-4 bucks in the store and enjoy the "daaaammmn" coming out of your mouth as you step back and take a look at the great work it does :P

I'll buy the can off you if you dont like it. I promise thats how good it is :D

I actually like the Ultima Interior Guard better than the Optimum which was my previous favorite...

I usually use the Ultima after cleaning it with Optimum first since Ultima Interior Guard Plus does not clean. It is a great product.

Have you tried the Ultima Interior Cleaning Gel? It works really well too.

The Megs Quick Interior detailer is a good product too, but it doesn't protect the dashboard...

I actually like the Ultima Interior Guard better than the Optimum which was my previous favorite...

I usually use the Ultima after cleaning it with Optimum first since Ultima Interior Guard Plus does not clean. It is a great product.

Have you tried the Ultima Interior Cleaning Gel? It works really well too.

The Megs Quick Interior detailer is a good product too, but it doesn't protect the dashboard...

The Ultima Interior Shampoo? Yes, I have that, it does work great. I use it a lot on the carpet and mats and it works great.

Hate to say it (I guess I'm getting old & being a Dad wears me out, but I love it! :D ) but I just use a swiffer for my dash & to dust the interior.....I use to be so fussy & have OCD when it came to detailing my rides....but now I'm cleaning up pablum, cookie, crusted mild on my black leather seats, you name it. :whistles: I give up! :lol:

:cheers: