Oil Filter Housing

Has anyone replaced their Oil Filter Housing? I tried to remove the top cap (the bolt in the center)

and it will not come off. I removed the entire housing and replaced the filter and drained the oil

at the oil pan. It is my understanding that the bolt should come out. I tried, but nothing worked.

Should I not worry about it or replace the housing?

Thanks in advance.

Norman

p.s. I have a 2006 IS250 AWD.

Has anyone replaced their Oil Filter Housing? I tried to remove the top cap (the bolt in the center)

and it will not come off. I removed the entire housing and replaced the filter and drained the oil

at the oil pan. It is my understanding that the bolt should come out. I tried, but nothing worked.

Should I not worry about it or replace the housing?

Thanks in advance.

Norman

p.s. I have a 2006 IS250 AWD.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=328693

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "bolt" at the oil filter housing...

to remove the canister (cylinder that houses the oil filter), you will need a special tool like this one:

100298.jpg

The OEM part number purchased from Lexus stealership is : 09228-06501

There is an aftermarket cheaper version made by Assenmacher : TOY-640 (http://www.toolsource.com/toyota-filter-wr...m-p-100298.html)

Follow bart's post and you should see what it will look like when removed.

As for draining the oil drain plug (which is a bolt), you will just need a 15mm (or 14mm?) socket wrench to remove the bolt. If it is extra tight, it may have been over-torqued, in which case you will just need to lengthen your socket wrench handle to give yourself more torque to untighten the bolt.

He means the little cap that you can untighten with the socket wrench alone. The part where you put in the little rubber seal.

Check out this picture.

filter_cap_cover.jpg

According to the manual, this is the first part that you need to open so that the remaining oil in the filter could drain out before removing the whole housing.

I have a 2008 IS350 and am doing my first oil change. Is there a way to drain the oil filter casing before taking it off to lessen the amount of oil that might spill?

yeah you gotta open that little cover first and plug in that plastic thing that comes with the filter, and after you drain it, just unscrew the whole casing. In my guide, I forgot about it and opened the whole thing first which kind of made it messy - but it's not that bad.

I have a 2008 IS350 and am doing my first oil change. Is there a way to drain the oil filter casing before taking it off to lessen the amount of oil that might spill?

yeah you gotta open that little cover first and plug in that plastic thing that comes with the filter, and after you drain it, just unscrew the whole casing. In my guide, I forgot about it and opened the whole thing first which kind of made it messy - but it's not that bad.

The IS350 filter doesn't come with the little hose and you don't open any drain. It only comes with the single large O ring. You just loosen the housing cap and tilt it a little to drain out the oil.

http://my.is/forums/f139/how-change-oil-35...53/#post4014700

The IS350 filter doesn't come with the little hose and you don't open any drain. It only comes with the single large O ring. You just loosen the housing cap and tilt it a little to drain out the oil.

can the deal just do this? i'd hate to do this by myself

can the deal just do this? i'd hate to do this by myself

I changed the oil and it was really no big deal. There is not a cap on the end of the canister for the IS 350 but it drains nicely if you just unscrew it most of the way then let it drip into the pan. Very little to cleanup and easy to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I found at Autopartswarehouse.com an Oil filter kit (element and O rings) for the 2006 and 07 IS 250, however for the 2006/07/08 they list three regular type Oil filters 1 by Fram and 2 by Hastings (never heard of them)

Does that mean that 08s do use the regular type filter instead of the separate element and kit ? and that 06 and 07s can opt for a regular filter and avoid all this complication?

Any opinions on wether this would be a good idea, also the hastings seem to differ in their height. I guess I would favor the tall type any thoughts on that brand?

A couple of you here mention that their 08 350 does not hav a cao at the end, but do not clarify if they refer to regular type Fram like filter.

What kind comes with my 08 250 and should I use a Fram filter if it comes with a reusable filter housing.

Thanks

Just get the specified Toyota filter element from Irontoad or from a dealer. Aftermarket cross references are not always correct. Using Toyota parts is the safest way to go. If you want to make sure what you have take a look at the oil filter housing on your own car.