Engine Damage

scrappyslexus

I have a 2000 LX 470 with 78 k . Just went through the accumulator problem a lexus dealer put the wrong fluid in the AHC system. Found a new lexus dealer to do the accumulators. Decided to have the timing belt and water pump done early as a proactive measure. The lexus shop mechanic did not put a clamp on the top hose coming out of the radiator and into the motor. The hose came off and dumped the fluid allover the street after my wife got finished driving it. I am hoping that most of the coolant fluid dumped in front of the house after she parked the car. Does anyone know if and how I can tell weather any damage was done to the motor. I donot recall low fluid lights coming on. I run mobil one oil in the vehicle. The dealer is telling me that the motor is fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Unless the engine overheated while she was driving it, I think it is probably just fine.

If the coolant temp needle didn't go to hot, it's likely to be okay. How far did your wife drive it? There's a thermostat valve that controls the coolant flow from the engine into the radiator (hot coolant enters from the top, cooler coolant exits from the bottom of the radiator and into the engine). The thermostat doesn't even open until you've driven the car at least a few miles. Even if you start up a cold engine, crank the heater, the thermo is still closed even after the air is hot! I noticed this when trying to warm the engine up when flushing the block w/ distilled water. The coolant capacity on the LX is huge, 16 qts of which only about 6 qts is in the radiator, 2 qts in each of the two heater cores, leaving about 4 qts in each of the V-banks. I bet you could drive in normal moderate temps for short distances w/o a radiator at all and not overheat! keep in mind this vehicle is designed to drive offroad in 130F temps in Africa/Middle East w/ the AC on full and in 4wd low plus 7 passengers plus gear! Everytime I take I-10 from LA to Phoenix, there's this climb in the middle of the desert with a sign that warns drivers to turn off their AC for the next 6 miles uphill. In the LX, you can crank the AC, drive 80mph uphill, and the needle will not even budge off the center mark. Some guy recently rode in a LC/LX in the middle east in 120F and the needle never budged above the center. Your engine should be fine. Make sure to replace it w/ a 50-50 mixture of toyota red and distilled water (dealers use tap water...not good) or use the toyota pre-mixed coolant if you can get it. I would only worry if the engine ran out of oil. Now that WILL damage the engine!

Unless the engine overheated while she was driving it, I think it is probably just fine.

If the coolant temp needle didn't go to hot, it's likely to be okay. How far did your wife drive it? There's a thermostat valve that controls the coolant flow from the engine into the radiator (hot coolant enters from the top, cooler coolant exits from the bottom of the radiator and into the engine). The thermostat doesn't even open until you've driven the car at least a few miles. Even if you start up a cold engine, crank the heater, the thermo is still closed even after the air is hot! I noticed this when trying to warm the engine up when flushing the block w/ distilled water. The coolant capacity on the LX is huge, 16 qts of which only about 6 qts is in the radiator, 2 qts in each of the two heater cores, leaving about 4 qts in each of the V-banks. I bet you could drive in normal moderate temps for short distances w/o a radiator at all and not overheat! keep in mind this vehicle is designed to drive offroad in 130F temps in Africa/Middle East w/ the AC on full and in 4wd low plus 7 passengers plus gear! Everytime I take I-10 from LA to Phoenix, there's this climb in the middle of the desert with a sign that warns drivers to turn off their AC for the next 6 miles uphill. In the LX, you can crank the AC, drive 80mph uphill, and the needle will not even budge off the center mark. Some guy recently rode in a LC/LX in the middle east in 120F and the needle never budged above the center. Your engine should be fine. Make sure to replace it w/ a 50-50 mixture of toyota red and distilled water (dealers use tap water...not good) or use the toyota pre-mixed coolant if you can get it. I would only worry if the engine ran out of oil. Now that WILL damage the engine!

Thank you for your input. Not sure if it overheated my wife was driving and the lexus dealer drove it 40 miles to return it to us after the service. When I opened the radiator cap the radiator was empty. The overflow tank was at the low mark. No white spoke from exhaust at this time which I am told is a good sign. I sent a motor oil sample to a lab for analysis. The dealer said they would stand behind the motor because it was their fault.