Got Some New Tires For The Civic

ArmyofOne

What are your thoughts on these tires, I have 2 of them in 205/55/16 89H and i will be purchasing 2 more in the next month or so. the only reason im buying 2 at a time instead of 4 is i found a set of 2 on craigslist. they were on a car that was rear ended and totalled, front tires were new (1,000 miles) and rear tires were both flat. so i took the pair off his hands for $75.

I did 6 months of research on tires, But everything i have read on the net and elsewhere has told me Comfortread is the best you an get for no road noise and that there is no better tire for comfort for the price, period. and thats what I'm looking for. thoughts?

No experience with them personally, the speed rating is too low for the Lexus...

I'm not a GoodYear fan in general though...

Nor am I, but Brandon at TireRack recommended them, and they have very high ratings on the net...

as far as speed rating...why is that important? i dont plan to do 130+ (H rating) in my civic...LOL

Well, the speed rating doesn't just have to do with the maximum speed the tires can be operated at. It has to so with the construction of the tire. Lexus vehicles ship with V rated tires and the suspension and steering geometry are designed around V rated tires. Personally I have always used the OEM speed rating when buying tires, this time I'm going to go to an H to save money but anything less than H would change the geometry of the car...

Well, the speed rating doesn't just have to do with the maximum speed the tires can be operated at. It has to so with the construction of the tire. Lexus vehicles ship with V rated tires and the suspension and steering geometry are designed around V rated tires. Personally I have always used the OEM speed rating when buying tires, this time I'm going to go to an H to save money but anything less than H would change the geometry of the car...

Really, i had no idea. Thanks Steve, once again, you learn'd me somethin LOL.

Anyone know anything about these tires?

Comfortread's are a very decent tire for the Civic......did you consider the Triple Tred's too? Just a better tire for the winter months if you don't have a set of dedicated winter rubber already.

:cheers:

Comfortread's are a very decent tire for the Civic......did you consider the Triple Tred's too? Just a better tire for the winter months if you don't have a set of dedicated winter rubber already.

Gonna see how the comfortreads do for winter...if no good ill pick up a set of Nokian Hakkapalita's or Bridgestone Blizzacks.

After comparing the TT's and the CT's for 6 months, i was torn...THE ONLY THING that made me go with the CT's was the fact that i found a set of 2 slightly used (came off a car that was rear ended, rear 2 were punctured, front 2 were 1,000 miles old). I got them for $75 total. My only worry about going with the TT is the road noise factor...even tirerack determined they were MUCH noisier than the CT. And after owning so many Falken ZE-512's, i cannot stand road noise. My only thing about the falkens is i dont feel like replacing every year. and i would be with the FWD civic.

the Eagle RS-A's that i had on the matrix (i purchased cause i needed tires at a decent price) were ABSOLUTE *BLEEP*. and i swore i would never buy a goodyear tire again...BUT...i will try the CT's. wouldnt be the first time i have eaten $350 (would have been $600, but i found 2 slightly used).

We will see how the FWD w/Trac control does, but i think it will be ok. I just gotta order the other 2 soon. I can see cords on the Bridgestone Turanza EL-400's and they only have 30K on them (Been noisy since i got the car!) Im tryin to milk them another month...my wife has a city commute and never gets over 35-40...so she should be ok. if they get too bad i will throw the spare (has a full size!) on.

Do yourself a favor and replace them now.

Seriously, you have no idea how severely limited the car's traction and safety are when tires get that bad. You have maybe 10% of the control you'd have with decent tires.

I know its tempting to wait...but don't wait too long...

Do yourself a favor and replace them now.

Seriously, you have no idea how severely limited the car's traction and safety are when tires get that bad. You have maybe 10% of the control you'd have with decent tires.

I know its tempting to wait...but don't wait too long...

Its only the one in the back and i will be replacing in less than 30 days. like i said, full size spare if i need to...you are right, i should...and i will if i have to, would just prefer not to drain savings, i finally got to a place where i have a savings LOL.

Believe me I know how you feel LOL.

How'd one tire get more worn than the others?

dunno...but the other rear tire is a Michelin Pilot A/S Sport...the other three are bridgestone turnaza EL-400. I think what happened was:

Former owner (obviously knew nothing about cars, her name was Laura, but i dont judge based on the name, i judge on what comes next). (I guess) She had a Blowout on front tire in Nevada Heat (car was from Nevada). She replaced with Michelin Pilot (with the advice from her tire salesman, who also regrettably knows nothing about cars/symmetrics/physics), Put front tire and new michelin on rear at the advice of her tire salesman (again...dumbass), and put the matching, less worn (cause they were on the back) turanza's up front. as a result i have 2 turanza's on the front showing wear bars, and one on the back showing cords...and the michelin pilot is almost brand new AND MUCH LOUDER THAN THE POTENZA's. I CANT STAND THAT DAMNED TIRE! LOL. I mean come on, every dumb*BLEEP* knows you cant mix a directional tire with a unidirectional tire (cant mix Goodyear Triple Treads with Comfortreads) and you should NEVER replace just one tire. If it wasnt for the Bridgestones being exhorbiantly more than the Comfortreads and getting crappy ratings in the snow, i might replace them with identical tires...but they are $145 a piece!!!

Thats ok tho, the place i bought it from, i got them to knock $1000 off cause of the tires, and a few other minor problems...most of which i already fixed. (except the ding in the door which was one of them. I figured i could live with it till someone hits me, or i can PDR it. LOL)

The world is full of morons lol.

Yeah get 'em changed as soon as you can. At least they were right to put the new tires on the back. You always put new tires on the back, whether its FWD, RWD, or what.

The EL400s are sh!tty tires, you're better off with the Comfortreads...

Yeah get 'em changed as soon as you can. At least they were right to put the new tires on the back. You always put new tires on the back, whether its FWD, RWD, or what.

Well said Steve.....stay clear of those ES400's.

• 2 weeks later...

Well said Steve.....stay clear of those ES400's.

Man its a good thing i didnt Install them yet...steve for once, im happy NOT to have followed your advice.

I thought the tires to be wearing a little weird (too fast on the inside in the rear) so when it was at the honda dealer having the 30k service done, i had them look at the alignment in the rear...sure enough...there is a TSB for new LCA's on the honda civics 06/07. they are too long if they are stamped with a "C" causing a NOTICABLE negative camber in the rear (approx 4 degrees...it can be seen from outside the car). They said it causes excessive road noise (which i have) vibrations, and excessive tire wear.

the other good news is my honda dealer is replacing the LCA's and doing an alignment in the rear for free. they were going to prorate new tires, but i have too many miles.