Vibration - Is It Normal?

lx4704me

I am new to this forum. :D Just purchased a 2004 LX470. Have a question. I notice that at around 2800 rpm's (regardless of vehicle speed) there seems to be a very slight vibration. Feels like a transmission or drive-line vibration which can be felt in the floorboard and the floorboard only. The vibration is not present at lower rpm's nor is it present as you pass above the approx. 2800 rpm mark. Is this inherent in the vehicle - maybe having something to do w/ the all wheel drive?

Appreciate your feedback -

Thanks and I look forward to membership in the forum. :cheers:

fz.

I don't think its a tire balance problem. Definitely feels like a trans/drive line root cause. The vibration that I feel is noticeable immediately before the trans shifts into a higher gear and/or on long grades where to maintain speed the vehicle stays at 2800 rpm. It is very slight, but definetely different than the other rpms and shifts where it is otherwise smooth as silk. My dealer has told me the technician, while in for my 1000 service last month, drove another 2004 LX for comparison and it felt the same as mine...was he just telling me this to avoid further compliants from me - first response to my post would indicate this problem is inherent in the LX and GX 470's...maybe JPI can elaborate on his experience with this vibration.

Thanks.

I am also new to this forum. I also have a 2004 LX470 with about 180 miles on it.

I noticed the vibration on my first time out. I thought I felt something strange as is suggested in the other posts, but in all honesty, I had plenty of other things to keep me occupied during that first trip. I have been able to replicate the problem in other outings.

I am interested in what the root cause of this problem. It will eventually become an irritation.

Welcome ispnetguy!

I have an appointment w/ my dealer this Monday. Primary reason for visit is a rattle coming from inside the dashboard behind and to the right of the navigation center. Sounds like something is loose inside the dash, not a squeek such as two pieces of material rubbing. Makes the sound when I hit a joilting or jarring type bump. Here is something very interesting - the noise does not occur when it is raining and the vehicle is wet - in fact, even after the rain stops, as long as the vehicle stays wet, the noise can't be heard - but once the exterior dries off, the noise comes back! Wonder if it could be associated w/ the cabin air purification system? Is there a mechanism that redirects the flow of air when it is wet out to avoid sucking-in water into the cabin (?) Anyway, I am going to ask the dealer to take a second look at the vibration - suggestions on how to proceed welcomed :)

Thanks and will keep you updated.

frank.

There will be a TSB coming out to solve this problem. It's the tranny they will design a damper to quiet down the noise. For those of you who thinking about buying a GX470 PLEASE DON'T BUY THE VEHICLE. IT HAS SO MANY PROBLEMS.........Lexus bought back a couple of GX470. Merry Xmas everyone.

www.jpimportz.org

Thanks JPI - wonder if my dealer will be able to do anything Monday when I take the LX in? Maybe will have to wait until the TSB - has the 'fix' been designed yet?

Do you know anything about the noise coming from within the dash that I mentioned several posts ago?

Have a safe an Merry Christmas -

frank.

Rattles are common on the Lx470. They will insulate your dash or might have to pull the dash out.

Lexus engineers are working on the noise in the tranny. I'm not sure when it will be available. I will keep you guys updated.

www.jpimportz.org

Does the 2000 lx470 have the same problem? I notice a viration when keeping a steady speed on the highway of around 70MPH. not like a tire vibration but rather a mild vibration throughout the whole trunk.

Are tsb covered under the drivetrain warranty? a tsb is not the same as a recall, correct?

Thanks!

Update -

After having my LX all week, I received a call from Lindsey Lexus of Alexandria VA informing me the vehicle is ready to be picked up tomorrow. Below are what I wanted them to check-out along w/ their diagnosis and corrective action:

1. Rattle from inside dash heard on jarring-type bumps / diagnosis was windshield cowling contacting the windshield at the very bottom of the windshield between the nav center and passenger side / corrective action was to install a shim (material unknown at this time) to isolate the two pieces. Explains why the rattle was not heard when the vehicle was wet - the water acted as a damper/lubricant between the two pieces.

2. Vibration felt on floorboard at 2800 rpm / diag. was the transmission cooler line tapping against the underside of the frame / correction action was to re-orientate the line slightly and secure to prevent contact.

This is according to the service advisor. I will find out tomorrow if both problems were truely resolved when I drive the LX home.

Hope this helps anyone who may have a similar concern, will report back to you - hopefully w/ closure! ;)

f.

Greetings;

I am also new to the forum. Two weeks ago I bought a GX470 and have a problem that sounds like the floorboard vibration. At sustained speeds of 65-70 MPH I hear and feel a roaring noise under my left foot as if something is rubbing there. (see my post at GX forum)

I took it to the dealer and they said that LEXUS is aware of the problem, but has no solutions yet. Lindsy Lexus advisor informed me that there was some sign of friction under the engine cover and that they have added some insulation there. Their patch work helped just a very little bit.

-A Second problem that I have encountered is the pulling to the left when as I am accelarating. I would like to know if any GX or LX owners have experinced this problem. They checked the alignment already but I still feel that the car pulls a little on accleration.

Other than that my GX is a 04 model with KDSS (kenetic dynamic suspension) and I like everything else about the car. Silky smooth and great handeling. I can't agree with the post that is trashing the GX. May be they resolved the issues on the 2004 models.

Any comments or Feedbacks?

Bob

:blink:

Regarding the Second Problem:

I also notice a pull to the left. A lot. I was having to over-correct about 5% from center. Always fighting it. When I went in for my 1000 mile inspection, I told them about it. The service advisor informed me that my tire pressure was off and it had been corrected.

I still notice a bit of a drift to the left and the steering wheel is about 1% or so off.. but it is much better then before. I am going to bring up this problem (and the vibration issue) on my next visit.

• 10 months later...
My 2001 LX470 vibrated (at the small  shifter lever) from the day I drove it off the lot & Lexus says it is normal.

it's not normal. have ur dealer fix it. I used to have it on my GX, but now my dealer finally solved it! :cheers:

My 2001 LX470 vibrated (at the small  shifter lever) from the day I drove it off the lot & Lexus says it is normal.

it's not normal. have ur dealer fix it. I used to have it on my GX, but now my dealer finally solved it! :cheers:

PLEASE know what you're talking about before you make statements... :chairshot:

;)

This vibration is not the same as the transmission vibration issue described in the GX forum.

The vibration on the transfer case shift knob is NORMAL. This knob is connected directly to the transfer case and some vibration on that knob is going to exist. If you place your hand on it, you'll feel it. If you set spare keys next to it and it touches the knob, the keys will rattle. You'll even see it move a little bit when your truck shifts.

Now...if you feel vibration throughout the entire vehicle as you drive -- then that's not normal and should be resolved by the dealership.

:cheers:

I have this SAME exact problem (vibration at floorboard at 2800 rpms)...lexus says its normal. I doubt it. Its a pain in the butt. Anyone heard of any fixes for this yet???

I agree to the other post...the vibration fo the 4lo shifter is a normal thing.