2002 With 55k Vibrate When You Brake

Hello,

I had my rotors replaced at about 18k (3 years back) for vibration. It looks like it is back. Brakes are working fine and in the city I don't notice it much, even at higher speeds. It is kind of some days I notice it more than other days.

However, I went for a camping trip in the mountains and it was a different story. I just couldn't keep wheel in my hands.

Querstion - is this warped rotor or antilock breaks causing this problem? Is it normal for ABS to go crazy on road full of sharp curves (especially on downhill)? Can rotor get warped in 30k miles and 3 years? Last ones I got replaced from a lexus dealer, so is there a warranty on it? If it is rotor, do they just change (or turn) the rotors or brakes as well...

Really confused...

Appreciate your response.

Shailesh

Did they replace the brake pads when they replaced the rotors 3 years ago?

You might want to make sure you have the matching rotors and pads as referenced in "TSB BR002R-02 Brakes - Front Brakes Vibrate"

See point #1 in my post here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=48464

I believe they did replace brakes and rotors at that time. I did mention TSB to them and they covered it in warranty. But I will double check. At this point I am not sure if it is ABS or rotors...:-(

Shailesh

Its warped rotors. Its worse in the mountains because mountain driving creates a lot of heat which makes the warping worse.

Rotors can get warped in 100 miles under driving conditions like that, let alone 30,000 miles.

Its warped rotors. Its worse in the mountains because mountain driving creates a lot of heat which makes the warping worse.

Rotors can get warped in 100 miles under driving conditions like that, let alone 30,000 miles.

Thanks for the reply! Question is do I have to get it replaced right away? Since the car runs fine other wise, can I just keep driving for a while (6 months or so)?. How much it costs? Do I have to get it done from dealer? Do I have to replace brakes along with rotor?

Thanks

shailesh

Well, I wouldn't drive on them for 6 months. You'll accelerate brake wear, and you're not getting optimal brake function.

You don't have to also replace the brake pads, but they're probably shot too. No, dealer doesn't have to do it anybody can but I would purchase genuine Lexus parts to ensure you're not going to have a lot of squealing.

You can either have the rotors machined or replaced, if you have them machined it will come back more quickly. The warpage is caused by heat, and after the rotors are machined they're thinner and the heat will warp them faster.

The Lexus dealer would charge you $350 probably to do a front brake job, it'd be cheaper at Toyota or an independent shop. Where in VA are you? Northern VA?

Well, I wouldn't drive on them for 6 months. You'll accelerate brake wear, and you're not getting optimal brake function.

You don't have to also replace the brake pads, but they're probably shot too. No, dealer doesn't have to do it anybody can but I would purchase genuine Lexus parts to ensure you're not going to have a lot of squealing.

You can either have the rotors machined or replaced, if you have them machined it will come back more quickly. The warpage is caused by heat, and after the rotors are machined they're thinner and the heat will warp them faster.

The Lexus dealer would charge you $350 probably to do a front brake job, it'd be cheaper at Toyota or an independent shop. Where in VA are you? Northern VA?

Thanks for quick reply. I live in northern VA, close Dulles airport - Chnatilly. Very close to pohanks lexus dealer. Do you recommend any shop in this area? I just don't want to get themn warped again soon :-(

Thanks again.

Shailesh

I've just started using a shop called LXT Automotive in Rockville, owned by a former Lexus master tech. Much more reasonable than the dealer, all OEM parts. www.lxtautomotive.com, ask for Nelson tell him Steve Withrow sent you. His shop is small and his website isn't much, but he does good work.

Down there I've heard good things about a place called American Auto Tech, http://americanautotech.com/

Pohanka is an awful dealer...stay away from them.

• 6 months later...

Down there I've heard good things about a place called American Auto Tech, http://americanautotech.com/

Distressing news to report. American Auto Tech is no longer in business. They had great prices and did excellent work, aside form being really pleasant and helpful. They did the same work for me that for about $1,800 less than what Pohanka Lexus was quoting me, and Pohanka continually screws up and does not admit its mistakes. Horrid experiences with them!

If anyone knows where the folks that owned it went, please let all of us know! Or if there is another recommendation.

• 2 months later...

Steve,

I guess American Auto Tech is no longer in business..:-( do you recommned any other mechanic in this (chantilly, VA) area?

Shailesh

I've just started using a shop called LXT Automotive in Rockville, owned by a former Lexus master tech. Much more reasonable than the dealer, all OEM parts. www.lxtautomotive.com, ask for Nelson tell him Steve Withrow sent you. His shop is small and his website isn't much, but he does good work.

Pohanka is an awful dealer...stay away from them.