Garage Door Opener

Hi all,

I picked up my IS 250 AWD last night and I haven't stopped smiling yet!

I've had a Lexus before but went to other brands and instantly regretted it.

Anyway, the only thing I can't work out is the garage door opener.

I have the LiftMaster series in my house but only one of the original remotes.

It looks like the previous owner lost or broke one of the original remotes and therefore one of the doors use the

Smart Button from SkyLink: http://www.skylinkhome.com/us/products/ut/sb_main.html

So I can program the car with the original remote but not the universal thing from SkyLink.

Any guess what? I want to use the garage with the SkyLink attached.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob

Here is one of the more recent threads on programming the garage door opener buttons in a Lexus: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...t=0&start=0

I don't see anything on the Skylink website that says it is compatible with HomeLink. If it is not, then I doubt if you can use the Skylink it to program the opener in your car. The Skylink products I saw on the website have their own receiver that mounts on the opener housing.

Maybe you can use the original remote to program your Lexus Homelink control.

Have you verified that your original garage door opener remote and main unit is compatible with HomeLink? Does the opener motor housing have a "learn" button? Our house was built in the early 80s and none of the original openers were HomeLink compatible. I replaced the openers with HomeLink compatible openers which have a "learn" button and they work fine with the HomeLink control in my LS.

It took a few tries before I got the programming procedure to work on my car. It could be a timing issue as I think the learn button on the opener housing has to pressed within a limited amount of time.

You could be right - the SkyLink system might not be HomeLink.

Let me clarify the situation. I have two garage door openers, they are identical.

One has the original remote. Using that remote I can program (or train) the car to open the garage door.

The other opener has this SkyLink system and I cannot use this remote to train the car - nothing happens.

So I know the car is OK (it is a Lexus after all) and I know the opener is OK.

It's the SkyLink remote that is causing the issue.

As you suggest that might not be a Home Link unit???

But it connects to the garage opener now remotely.

If I'm following correctly, you are unable to utilize the Skylink Remote to train the Lexus...

If so, you could always find the DIP combination of the Opener that is operated by the Skylink (you'll need a ladder to get to the opener). Then, simply adjust the DIP switches on the Liftmaster Remote (behind the battery) to match the door previously opened by the Skylink Remote. And Finally - now utilize the Liftmaster Remote to train your Lexus Remote. Change back to previous settings if necessary for the other vehicle.

Does any of that make sense? I can try to re-explain if needed.

I'm not sure why the Skylink isn't able to train the Lexus...maybe it doesn't transmit the signal long enough?

If I'm following correctly, you are unable to utilize the Skylink Remote to train the Lexus...

If so, you could always find the DIP combination of the Opener that is operated by the Skylink (you'll need a ladder to get to the opener). Then, simply adjust the DIP switches on the Liftmaster Remote (behind the battery) to match the door previously opened by the Skylink Remote. And Finally - now utilize the Liftmaster Remote to train your Lexus Remote. Change back to previous settings if necessary for the other vehicle.

Does any of that make sense? I can try to re-explain if needed.

I'm not sure why the Skylink isn't able to train the Lexus...maybe it doesn't transmit the signal long enough?

The Skylink receiver appears to simply replace the garage door button mounted on the wall. It doesn't have anything to do with the garage door motor unit which contains the original receiver.

I haven't seen dip switches on an opener motor unit or a garage door remote control since the mid 1980s. If your opener has dip switches then I doubt if it is a modern opener. My understanding is that rolling code technology replaced the old dip switch method which was pretty easy for thieves to hack.

I've gotten to install a lot of garage door openers over the years. It's usually a very easy DIY project and simpler than tearing a Lexus apart.

And if your opener doesn't have infrared safety sensors on either side of the door, immediately replace the entire door opener. It is usually not cost effective to buy the infrared sensors and add them to an existing opener. An acquaintance lost a beloved family pet when it was killed by a closing garage door last year - it probably wouldn't have happened if the door had the infrared sensors required by most current building codes. It could have been a lot worse -- an auto reversing door that reverses on pressure alone can kill a small child and seriously injure an adult.

All sorted.

The SkyLink system replaces broken HomeLink remotes.

Essentially it is a new remote control unit that doesn't use the HomeLink system.

You wire a device on the wall that replaces the standard button that comes with the garage opener.

That is a receiver, the new SkyLink remote connected to that receiver and causes the button to be pressed.

So it never sends a signal wirelessly to the opener, only to the wall button.

That's why I couldn't program the car with the SkyLink remote.

So I swapped the SkyLink system over to the other door and used the original remote to program the car - job done!!

Thanks for the help.