Rims Paint Coming Off

i have a 2006 is350 with the 18-in ISP Mode alloy wheels. and well all my rims are flacking like the top layer of the rims is coming off.. what should i do? is it covered under warranty??

it isn't from hitting curbs ? If so im sure it wont be covered

i have a 2006 is350 with the 18-in ISP Mode alloy wheels. and well all my rims are flacking like the top layer of the rims is coming off.. what should i do? is it covered under warranty??

you mean it will be covered? Since anything like that(paint issues) is usually the manufacturer's fault.

you mean it will be covered? Since anything like that(paint issues) is usually the manufacturer's fault.

Unless you applied some cleaning chemicals that caused the paint to fail. I'm in no way saying that is what happened here, I'm just raising the other possibilities. Some of the drive thru car washes can use some pretty nasty chemicals.

I had a similar problem with one of my wheel's on one of the spokes - the clear coat was just gone like a sheet of it came off some how and there was a jagged edge a the points where it came off. I went to the dealer and they said that they would refinish the wheel. I talked to my detailer and he said there was no way that it came off from his cleaning and that for a brand new car I should go back and say I wanted a new wheel. I politely did just that and Lexus dealer gave me a new rim. No problems with any other of the wheels since - and that was 30,000 miles ago and countless both touchless car washes and details later - obviously the clear coat on that one wheel was a manufacturing problem.

I have to say that my dealer had on many occasions surprised me thought - like replacing a rubber floor mat that developed a hole in it for free, and replacing not only the front brake pads for squeaking (TSB) but the rotors as well. for free and that was at 24,000 miles!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem with one of my wheel's on one of the spokes - the clear coat was just gone like a sheet of it came off some how and there was a jagged edge a the points where it came off. I went to the dealer and they said that they would refinish the wheel. I talked to my detailer and he said there was no way that it came off from his cleaning and that for a brand new car I should go back and say I wanted a new wheel. I politely did just that and Lexus dealer gave me a new rim. No problems with any other of the wheels since - and that was 30,000 miles ago and countless both touchless car washes and details later - obviously the clear coat on that one wheel was a manufacturing problem.

I have to say that my dealer had on many occasions surprised me thought - like replacing a rubber floor mat that developed a hole in it for free, and replacing not only the front brake pads for squeaking (TSB) but the rotors as well. for free and that was at 24,000 miles!

There seems to be alot of issues concerning clear coat on paint and on rims. I am gathering as much info as possible and plan to escalate this issue to Lexus. My car is black and I have 24,000 miles on it, and have owned it for less than 3 years. I don't understand why it looks so bad in spots. There are more chips, and more dings, scratches, and spots on the hood, roof, trunk, etc. on the car than I can believe. If anyone would like to IM me on this please do so. I just paid a lot of money for this car, and this has never happened that much on other cars that I have owned. LEXUS should be held accountable for this. This isn't only happening to me this is happening to a lot of people according to the complaints on this forum. I am not intending to waste my money on a manufacturers defect. My fiance drives a black hyundai, and had a pontiac that was black, and his didn't look like mine, and he drove it much more than me so it had more exposure to road wear. This shouldn't be the case on a $40,000 vehicle.