Anyone Want An Oil Change Guide?

I'm gonna do the oil change tomorrow(today) and I posted this similar thread in the maintenance section but not a lot of people seem to check it. I can take a bunch of detailed pictures and do step by step instructions. If anyone wants it I can do it.

EDIT: UPDATED WITH THE GUIDE.

I haven't done it yet. Didn't have enough time yesterday and I ran out of "day light". I got mixed up with the filter because what happened is that I usually look up on Auto Zone what filter my car has and then go out and buy it. But this time it only offered one company for the filter which was hard to find. So I went to a local auto shop and asked for an oil filter for my IS250 AWD and the guy said that it's the same kind as the RX350AWD(my dad's car) which seemed strange to me since they have different engines. Oh the filter was WIX, so then I called up Lexus Parts to double check and the guy said that the filter from the IS is different from the RX and that I would have a big problem. So I had to drive up to the dealer and buy an IS filter. The difference is that the IS filter is a bit longer compared to the RX one by about an inch. But later that day I went on the WIX filter website and did the search for filters and this is what I came up with... It said that the AWD version has the same filter as the RX350 but the RWD version has the one that I got from the dealer. Which makes no sense, but then I got really confused and though to myself, maybe the guy at the dealer gave me the wrong filter assuming that I had the RWD version. But also, why would AWD matter when it's just the engine oil filter... Anyway, I have two filters so either way I'm going to have the right one for the oil change. I'm just going to find out when I actually take it apart.

very long read... I know.

Not to steal your thunder, or willingness to share useful info...I used this link several months back, and it was a great help. I have two oil changes under my belt, and it really is a piece of cake.

http://my.is/forums/f139/how-change-oil-350-a-282953/

I'd still like to see your pics though!

Damn, well I'm a bit disappointed now. I'm still going to make the guide though since he did it for the 350 and I have a 250AWD. Btw, he said to use the 5W20 but the cap on the engine states 5W30.. I'm gonna use the 5W30 since that's all I have left. I had 5.5 quarts of 5W20 which I used on my sister's car('08 Eclipse V6). He said to tighten stuff to "this # torque... blah blah" but I have no idea how I'm supposed to measure that, I just tighten stuff until I feel it's tight enough so that I could remove it next time myself. Mechanics tend to tight everything really hard so it's harder to remove the oil filter(or w/e) the next time you do it. So I'm gonna do it my way... btw this is my first time changing oil on the IS also.

Manual says 5w30, but Toyota sent out an internal memo saying 5w20 is an acceptable alternative for most 2006+ engines, including all IS250s built at Tahara and Kyushu. There is no significant advantage I belive other than a marginal increase in fuel economy.

Part 1

Check the back page of your manual for the correct amount of oil. The AWD version needs 6.8 quarts.

back_page.jpg

Things you'll need, include:

Every Time

7 quarts of 5W30 oil. - Don't remember.. around 35 bucks(walmart)

Oil filter. - $6.55+tax(lexus dealer)

Drain plug gasket. - got it for free, but I also bought a pack with 3 similar ones for $2.33(local auto parts

Lots of paper towels. - It gets messy no matter how hard you try

One time buy

Oil Filter Wrench - can't remember ~$6(walmart)

Latex gloves(50 pairs pack) - Keep your hands clean :)

Eye protection. - Highly recommend this, dirt from the car falls in your eyes and oil can splash on your face

A pair of jack stands. - ~20 bucks for a pair(walmart)

Oil pan(something to collect the old oil). - ~$10(walmart)

And a funnel. ~$1

Things most people have

Size 14 wrench from the Lexus kit. - Included

Scissor jack out of the trunk. - included

Socket wrench. - you should have this

Screw drivers. - you should have this(phillips one is in the lexus roadside kit)

Old cardboard box split in half to lay down on. - Free

supplies.jpg

You would also need the phillips screw driver for the one screw on the filter cover. And a flat head one for many uses.

screw_drivers.jpg

This is the official Lexus gasket that I was provided with

lexus_gasket.jpg

You'll need this cup thing for the removal of the oil filter casing. You'll also need to use the socket wrench.

filter_wrench2.jpg

The filter on the left is the one you'll need. The one on the right is the wrong size and it only works for the RX350.

filters.jpg

I chose to use the 5W30 Synthetic from Castrol, I couldn't find Mobil 1 synthetic from the same grade.

oil.jpg

If you want, you can check your oil level before starting, here's how to do it. Pull out the dip stick(on the right side of the car), wipe it dry and reinsert, then pull it out and look. It seems like the Lexus guys over filled my car. Your oil level should not be higher than the top mark. The distance from the top to the bottom mark indicates 1 quart. So if your level is at the bottom, add one quart of the same oil from the same company.

oil_level.jpg

Part 2

Put the Parking(Emergency) Brake on before lifting the car up. Also do not sit in the car and try not to move it around while it's up on jacks stands(common sense).

Using the scissor jack, raise the car as high as possible and then set it up on jack stands(on both sides). Make sure you're parked on a flat ground and don't ever go under a car that's only supported by a jack. Always use jack stands(in this case)

jackstand.jpg

This is the oil pan. There is a similar pan more to the back of the car - make sure you don't go to it. Since I almost did. Place your container for catching the oil underneath.

oil_pan.jpg

Untighten the drain plug with the size 14 wrench until it gets loose and then finish by hand. Get ready for the oil to come out and let it drain. The old gasket was stuck to the oil pan so I used a flat head screw driver and pulled it off from the inside of the ring.

oil_drain.jpg

The filter cover is labeled "IS 4 WD". You will need to remove the one screw at the top and once you'll try to pull it, there is gonna be a clip holding it down. Remove that too by using a flat head screw driver, just pop out the middle part and it should come out.

filter_cover.jpg

The clip and the screw that you need to remove from the cover.

two_screws.jpg

You'll realize that the filter cover is actually attached to the whole underbody so you'll just need to open it like a door. Behind it is the oil filter casing. Place the oil pan underneath since it's gonna leak. Using the cup-like filter wrench and a socket wrench, untighten the casing and then finish opening it by hand. The manual suggests to open up the little cover and drain the remaining oil before removing the casing(which I forgot about). So it got a bit messy and oil came out of the sides.

filter_case.jpg

After removing the filter casing, wipe off the mess. If there is any...

open_case3.jpg

Remove the old filter from the casing along with all the old rubber seals. My filter wrench got stuck to the casing so I had to use a hammer to get it off. :)

old_filter.jpg

There is a small cover on the actual casing which you can use to drain the remaining oil, before removing the whole casing. But if you didn't do that and just removed the whole thing, open it up now and remove the small rubber seal and replace it with a new one. It's easier to pick it up with a flat head screw driver. Before !Removed! the cover back on, apply some fresh oil onto the rubber seal for easier removal.

filter_cap_cover.jpg

Insert your new filter into the casing and change the o-rings with the ones you're provided.

new_stuff.jpg

Part 3

Put everything back together (new oil filter, and two new rubber seals). Don't forget to coat the o-rings with some new oil. Clean up any oil that on the car with paper towels. You should also wipe the casing so that you could tell if there are any leaks later on.

all_together.jpg

After you put everything back together start to pour the new oil in.

pour_oil.jpg

You should end up with this much oil(.2 of a quart)

one_5th.jpg

Start the engine and let it run for no less than 3 minutes. At this time you can start cleaning up your tools. While the engine is running, check for any leaks on the filter casing.

check_filter.jpg

And around the drain plug.

check_pan.jpg

If everything is okay, turn the engine off and check the oil level with the dip stick(just like in the beginning, it should be at the right level). Close the filter cover and put the screw and the clip back on. Now you're done, just lower your car by raising it up with the scissor jack and removing the jack stands one at a time. Close the hood and finish cleaning up. You can drain your used oil and get rid of the used filter at a local gas station(that has a service building). You've just completed your own oil change.

I started at 6 o'clock and worked pretty slowly since I paused to take pictures and then retook the shots I didn't like and so on. I was also doing this for the first time on my car. I wasted about 30 minutes going online to look up where the oil filter cover was since the guide for the IS350 was different from the IS250AWD. I was completely done at about 8:20(I know it took me 2 hours) but I could've done it in about 40 minutes if I knew what I was doing.

Hey IS250 rookie! Very nice write up. Not too hard is it? While I prefer the ramps to the jack/stands, I actually find that changing the oil on the IS is easier than on my Subaru. On my Legacy the oil filter is smack dab up between the exhaust. Got to let it cool at least a bit before reaching up in there!

Again, super job! Next...brakes :)

Hey IS250 rookie! Very nice write up. Not too hard is it? While I prefer the ramps to the jack/stands, I actually find that changing the oil on the IS is easier than on my Subaru. On my Legacy the oil filter is smack dab up between the exhaust. Got to let it cool at least a bit before reaching up in there!

Again, super job! Next...brakes :)

Yeah I think I'm gonna go buy myself some ramps, cuz cranking that scissor jack is a big pain in the a**. Or get a real hydraulic floor jack but that's a bit expensive - a good investment though for things like tire rotation and other maintenance.

One thing I dislike about the oil change is that it's really cramped on the IS or any Lexus(I've done it on the RX aswell) for that matter and they put those plastic covers which are kind of annoying to take off every time.

• 1 year later...

Lexus IS 250 AWD (2008) oil change

I finally got to this task and found out as the previous contributor noted, the WIX 57047 filter does not fit. I think it fits a number of other Toyota products. The WIX data base is WRONG ! The 57047 part number is what the WIX data base lists for the noted car.

I think the correct filter, at least what you get when you use the manufacturer part number cross reference is a 57173 filter.

I called WIX and they seem like they could care less. Told me to to go back to where I bought the filter and to try to swap it. I always liked WIX filters but their customer service stinks.

• 5 months later...

Lexus IS 250 AWD (2008) oil change

I finally got to this task and found out as the previous contributor noted, the WIX 57047 filter does not fit. I think it fits a number of other Toyota products. The WIX data base is WRONG ! The 57047 part number is what the WIX data base lists for the noted car.

I think the correct filter, at least what you get when you use the manufacturer part number cross reference is a 57173 filter.

I called WIX and they seem like they could care less. Told me to to go back to where I bought the filter and to try to swap it. I always liked WIX filters but their customer service stinks.

Yes you're right. I used the WIX#57173 for my second oil change and it's exactly the same as the stock one. I dunno why but WIX has 2 different filters for RWD and AWD IS-sedans. But in reality, only one of them is correct(57173).

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Thank you! I've been paying between $150-$260 per oil change at the dealership. It just turned 30k and my father said that it's outrageous and he could do it for me. He will appreciate the guide I'm sure. Again, thanks. :)