Parking Brake Warning Light

revronrowl

My 99 RX300 has a wierd problem. The parking brake warning light and bell activates even though the brake is not engaged. Doesn't happen all the time but seems to happen more often than it used to. Brakes are good, fluid is good, no real noticeable problem. Anyone have an idea of what's going on and how to repair it?

Rev

It sounds like your RX is trying to tell you the brake fluid is low. If you checked it and it is, in fact, not low it is most likely brake reservoir cap which contains the sensor switch. Just unplug the sensor switch. If the problem goes away order a new brake reservoir cap with switch assembly. About $100.

It sounds like your RX is trying to tell you the brake fluid is low. If you checked it and it is, in fact, not low it is most likely brake reservoir cap which contains the sensor switch. Just unplug the sensor switch. If the problem goes away order a new brake reservoir cap with switch assembly. About $100.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give em a try.

• 3 weeks later...

When mine stuck i was at the snow and it stuck first thing in the morning. It did release after it warmed up. I found where the cable went into its sheath near the brake pedal and pealed back the rubber grommet that keeps dirt out and sprayed some dry silicone spray in the sheath. I also got under the RX and found the same thing under the car and sprayed them also. I never had any more sticking after that.

Jeff

When mine stuck i was at the snow and it stuck first thing in the morning. It did release after it warmed up. I found where the cable went into its sheath near the brake pedal and pealed back the rubber grommet that keeps dirt out and sprayed some dry silicone spray in the sheath. I also got under the RX and found the same thing under the car and sprayed them also. I never had any more sticking after that.

Jeff

Jeff

Well the problem sort of just went away. Since it's my wife's car, I only heard the warning once when we were going to church. Since then, it hasn't been a problem. Maybe it was some sort of sign from above. :) Until it becomes permanent, I'll just keep going to church to keep it from happening again.