Hybrid Emblems: Ugly!

I got my beloved Lexus 400h soon after they came out in 2005, and I remember complaining about how the only way people could tell it was a hybrid was the "H" after the 400, which seemed too low-key to me. So in my owners survey I remember complaining about how I thought they needed a "hybrid" emblem or logo somewhere on the car.

Well I suppose Lexus heard me, but the hybrid logos I see on the new ones are TERRIBLE!! The ones on the side of the car are okay, but the italic script font HYBRID underneath the 400h look so bad to me! The font doesn't go with the "Lexus" font, and it looks like it's not even put on straight. Personally I think they should have used those little "hybrid synergy drive" emblems that Toyota puts on the Prius.

Anybody else agree or disagree?

The one that you are talking about is from a Prius and I agree, they aren't as nice as the others that I have seen. Just find what you want yourself. I like going on the net and looking for exactly what I want. I can ALWAYS find what I want. I wanted at least one hybrid logo on the back and found this one. There are many from Ford Escapes, like this one, and pretty cheap too. Just go on ebay and type "Hybrid Emblems" and a whole bunch of stuff comes up. This one pictured here is off of my 400h was a great solution for me and it doesn't scream out at you. It fit perfectly on the chrome back hatch trim. I love chrome on chrome. Rey

post-26996-1219970199_thumb.jpg

Why do you care if anyone knows what you are driving? The cars I drive are something I like , I get them to please myself, not to say to everyone "Look at me, look at my car"

Maybe I am just an old !Removed! and I have gotten to the point where I really don't care what people think about my car, all I care about is pleasing myself. I was never into designer clothing or other trendy stuff

I prefer not advertising what I drive because some people have the misconception that all hybrid drivers are all tree hugging hippies.

I love my hybrids. I loved the RX that I leased and now I love the GS I replaced it with. If anyone asks I tell them it is a great car. I had my GS since June 21 and it only has about 600 miles on it, but right now I am excited because I will be leaving SC for a trip to NY tomorrow. I didn't activate the 90 day free trial yet so this trip 1,800 round trip will be a perfect time o try out the car and radio.

I don’t know if they did this with just the GS or if they did it with the RX and their other hybrid but the GS has a nice blue “L” that sets it apart from non-hybrids so I guess when anyone “in he know” sees the blue “L” they know it is a hybrid. The blue “L” is enough of a hybrid identifier for me.

By the way I don't really care about gas mileage because it took about 4 to 5 thousand miles till I noticed a big improvement, but I still plan on checking [paper and pencil actual number not computer number just for the heck of it. I usually hate driving and getting stuck in NY city traffic but the fact my engine will be turned off while I am stuck makes it tolerable.

PS I have a theory about there being a side benefit to hybrids in hot weather. There have been times when stuck in traffic I not only shut off the A/C I also turned on the Heater to help cool the engine when the Temp gauge moved toward the danger zone.. My guess is the due to the fact the A/C is electric and the engine will only run intermittently the car will be less likely to ‘boil over” in hot weather

PS Many people like to customize their cars by removing all the emblems, I personally like the clean look of a de-badged car

I just thought about what I wrote las might and realized I may have come across a little over critical, and I apologize for that. I still feel the same way about emblems, I hate them. But the bottom line is you own it do what ever makes you happy because the only person that counts is the one that makes the payment for the car. But please consider tha sometimes less is more and there could be a possibility that less emblems make the car look better

Why do you care if anyone knows what you are driving? The cars I drive are something I like , I get them to please myself, not to say to everyone "Look at me, look at my car"

Maybe I am just an old !Removed! and I have gotten to the point where I really don't care what people think about my car, all I care about is pleasing myself. I was never into designer clothing or other trendy stuff

I prefer not advertising what I drive because some people have the misconception that all hybrid drivers are all tree hugging hippies.

I love my hybrids. I loved the RX that I leased and now I love the GS I replaced it with. If anyone asks I tell them it is a great car. I had my GS since June 21 and it only has about 600 miles on it, but right now I am excited because I will be leaving SC for a trip to NY tomorrow. I didn't activate the 90 day free trial yet so this trip 1,800 round trip will be a perfect time o try out the car and radio.

I don’t know if they did this with just the GS or if they did it with the RX and their other hybrid but the GS has a nice blue “L” that sets it apart from non-hybrids so I guess when anyone “in he know” sees the blue “L” they know it is a hybrid. The blue “L” is enough of a hybrid identifier for me.

By the way I don't really care about gas mileage because it took about 4 to 5 thousand miles till I noticed a big improvement, but I still plan on checking [paper and pencil actual number not computer number just for the heck of it. I usually hate driving and getting stuck in NY city traffic but the fact my engine will be turned off while I am stuck makes it tolerable.

PS I have a theory about there being a side benefit to hybrids in hot weather. There have been times when stuck in traffic I not only shut off the A/C I also turned on the Heater to help cool the engine when the Temp gauge moved toward the danger zone.. My guess is the due to the fact the A/C is electric and the engine will only run intermittently the car will be less likely to ‘boil over” in hot weather

PS Many people like to customize their cars by removing all the emblems, I personally like the clean look of a de-badged car

That came off as a little smug, maybe it is an age thing to get smug. I think HyBruce WANTS the emblem, as I do, the new blue "L" doesn't mean anything to most people...not the point....HyBruce, I believe, was not asking whether to take everything off but maybe a solution to the "ugly" emblem. I love emblems. It's my car and we don't all like the same thing, thank goodness. I gave him a solution instead of a lecture. OK, so you don't care to ornament your cars and don't need for anyone to know what you drive....goodie for you. Now I hope that HyBruce will add the logotype that I put on the back of my car. I don't like the RX350 and I will do anything to set my 400h apart from the gas version. I've driven the RX350 and it's NOTHING like my 400h except in looks. I tried to be respectful in my reply, I hope I didn't come off as disrespectful. I just don't like smugness. Rey

post-26996-1220031948_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1220031982_thumb.jpg

hybrid badges are like your car's chosen paint color ... or your kid's looks, for that matter. You love what you love. To ask someone, "Is this ugly" means you're gona hurt someone's fealings because folks will be on both sides of the fense ... it's like my wife asking me, "how does this make me look". Just say what you gota say in a way that doesn't bury you, and move on. With that in mind? oh yea, I love 'em all ... colors, sizes, hybrid badges, tires, fenders, sterio, you name it. Gutless coward? Maybe, but I aint sleepin' on the couch tonigh, right? :D

What are you looking at? All the new RX400h's i've seen have the HybridSynergyDrive logo used on all the Toyota hybrids on the rear gate by the "RX400h" badge. I haven't seen any cars with an italicized "Hybrid" logo like you describe, maybe they stuck it on aftermarket and thats why its crooked.

Here's the back of a new 400h:

That one has no hybrid logo at all actually...

What are you looking at? All the new RX400h's i've seen have the HybridSynergyDrive logo used on all the Toyota hybrids on the rear gate by the "RX400h" badge. I haven't seen any cars with an italicized "Hybrid" logo like you describe, maybe they stuck it on aftermarket and thats why its crooked.

Here's the back of a new 400h:

That one has no hybrid logo at all actually...

It's the "Hybrid" emblem that was designed for the Prius. It is put on at the dealership. It doesn't really blend with any of the logotype on the 400h. I see quite a few of them here in L.A.. I really like finding the logotype that I want on ebay. There are so many hybrids now that you can find a good variety. Obviously no one knows that my "hybrid" logo was from a Ford Escape. It looks really nice...to me. I simply love chrome logotypes! Is that so wrong? Rey, shining in L.A.

post-26996-1220041839_thumb.jpg

Whats the emblem from the Prius? I have a Prius and we don't have any italicized lettering...

I see them bit it's on the older Prius, the ones that don't look like the ones now....I don't know the year but I do see them. They kind of look like Corollas....anyway, I have them on the side of my car but I don't want to post any more pics because I do like to overdo stuff. I like it. It's on one of my posts, I believe I titled it, "new emblems" or something like that. Anyway, yes, it's dealerships that started putting the Prius hybrid logotypes on. I got mine from the Lexus dealership and they got them from Toyota along with my Hybrid Synergy Drive emblems that I see on Prius' and Camrys.

post-26996-1220146492_thumb.jpg

I just thought about what I wrote las might and realized I may have come across a little over critical, and I apologize for that. I still feel the same way about emblems, I hate them. But the bottom line is you own it do what ever makes you happy because the only person that counts is the one that makes the payment for the car. But please consider tha sometimes less is more and there could be a possibility that less emblems make the car look better

That was a nice smoothing out post! I too was harsh but you have to admit, you were a little smug! Lol. Anyway, I am an artist and designer and I even teach at the Art Center College of Design, world famous for car design, so I do know about "less is more" but this is just an object, our car, and it is open to being modified and sometimes more is what someone wants. I've always over ornamented my cars...chrome,etc.. It's like tattoos. I don't have any but someone may be covered with tattoos head to foot. So who's right? The answer is that both are right! warmly, Rey

Yeah those are on the old 00-03 Prius, the new one doesn't have a logo like that.

Dealers are putting those on new RXh's?

Yes, the older Prius' had them..... thanks I didn't know what years. Oh, and be careful what you say...., I have those on the sides of my Rx400h! (Lol).. ...but, anyway, I didn't like it on the rear, many dealers have been putting them on, but because it's placed directly under the existing "RX400h" it's apparent that it's a completely different type face. They do come off easily, they are only one there with 3M car tape. ... Anyway, I do like the one that I put on the rear hatch chrome trim, the chrome on chrome one. See above "RXREY" posts for pictures. To each his own. I went to a semi trailer show once and some owners decorate their rigs like a Christmas trees and others take every adornment off and go "naked". Variety, it's a great thing, and no one will argue that point! Rey

That came off as a little smug, maybe it is an age thing to get smug. I think HyBruce WANTS the emblem, as I do, the new blue "L" doesn't mean anything to most people...not the point....HyBruce, I believe, was not asking whether to take everything off but maybe a solution to the "ugly" emblem. I love emblems. It's my car and we don't all like the same thing, thank goodness. I gave him a solution instead of a lecture. OK, so you don't care to ornament your cars and don't need for anyone to know what you drive....goodie for you. Now I hope that HyBruce will add the logotype that I put on the back of my car. I don't like the RX350 and I will do anything to set my 400h apart from the gas version. I've driven the RX350 and it's NOTHING like my 400h except in looks. I tried to be respectful in my reply, I hope I didn't come off as disrespectful. I just don't like smugness. Rey

You are right and I did come across the wrong way and I thought an apology was due and I gave one. I could have just deleted the whole post but people may have assumed I said something worst and deleated it. I was wrong and the way it came across in written form was worst than I meant it to come across. I am sorry if I offended anyone, that was not what I intended

• 5 months later...

There are various shops that can design and print, or allow you to design your own and print it for you, in a high quality vinyl or plastic label made for autos. It is similar to the protective bra for the front of new cars. Here in Cincinnati at least one tinting shop does it. I am trying to design one now for my 2006 400H.

I am more wondering about why the emblem is in blue and in not green. I know it may be just a color design, so it can be any color. But I always ask myself including my kids, why it is in blue and not green? After all it is a green car, right? Anyone know or can explain?

May be it is an advertising technique, it keeps reminding me about it...

Just wondering regards,

I am more wondering about why the emblem is in blue and in not green. I know it may be just a color design, so it can be any color. But I always ask myself including my kids, why it is in blue and not green? After all it is a green car, right? Anyone know or can explain?

Just wondering regards,

Earth is often referred to as the big blue marble or the blue planet. The 400h is earth friendly.

Just wondering regards,

Earth is often referred to as the big blue marble or the blue planet. The 400h is earth friendly.

Ahhhh :chairshot: it is the earth ! Got it :)