Just Bought An 04 Is300 W/ No Master Key!

gerbilphooey

I just bought my first Lexus, an 04 black on black is300 5spd with 37000 miles! Love the car so far, but It didnt come with a master key. I called Lexus and told him what I wanted and he says brace yourself! in order to reprogram a new remote you need the old one! he sys i have to replace my "computer"! lexus will do that one time only for free, I just have to buy two new keys at $320 a peice! Then pay to have the new "computer" installed, the new keys cut and programed comeing to about $1000! For keyless entry? So this is my question to you, does anyone know any other way to program a key without the old one, and if not, does anyone have an aftermarket alarm/keeyless entry system that they would recomend? Being So new to the forums and the car any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I just bought my first Lexus, an 04 black on black is300 5spd with 37000 miles! Love the car so far, but It didnt come with a master key. I called Lexus and told him what I wanted and he says brace yourself! in order to reprogram a new remote you need the old one! he sys i have to replace my "computer"! lexus will do that one time only for free, I just have to buy two new keys at $320 a peice! Then pay to have the new "computer" installed, the new keys cut and programed comeing to about $1000! For keyless entry? So this is my question to you, does anyone know any other way to program a key without the old one, and if not, does anyone have an aftermarket alarm/keeyless entry system that they would recomend? Being So new to the forums and the car any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello, and welcome to the LOC!

Unfortunately, he his telling you the truth. It's not for the keyless entry, it's for the security system in the ignition system. The code in the key has to match the code in the ECU for the security system to allow it to start. Have you looked in the owners manual and all around the car real good for the code? When the car was sold new, there is a business size card in a plastic bag with an emergency key. It's usually in the owners manual leather binder in one of the pockets. You might want to check in the trunk in the side panels and around there also. People can stuff things away and forget they were ever there. Go thru the glove box and check around for that code first. If you have that code, then you just need to have the key programmed and then you'll have a new master key again.

Hello, and welcome to the LOC!

Unfortunately, he his telling you the truth. It's not for the keyless entry, it's for the security system in the ignition system. The code in the key has to match the code in the ECU for the security system to allow it to start. Have you looked in the owners manual and all around the car real good for the code? When the car was sold new, there is a business size card in a plastic bag with an emergency key. It's usually in the owners manual leather binder in one of the pockets. You might want to check in the trunk in the side panels and around there also. People can stuff things away and forget they were ever there. Go thru the glove box and check around for that code first. If you have that code, then you just need to have the key programmed and then you'll have a new master key again.

Yeah, they do reprogram the ECU, but the car still has to be taken into the dealership, the keys they sell are about 200-300 each depending on the place, and then the charge for the ECU reprogramming, still comes out to way more money then anyone ever wants to spend.

Did you buy the car from the original owner? Lexus can usually identify prevous owners and your local dealer can contact them in your behalf. I know because that was done for me when my 00 LS came with only one key when I bought it in 03. My Lexus dealer verified that the lessee had turned in all keys when the three year lease ended.

Oddly, the missing keys showed up after a few weeks -- standard procedure of the auto auction where my off lease LS was sold to the dealer I bought it from. That particular auto auction provides only one key to the purchaser so the car can be driven away and it then sends the rest of the keys by mail. I have no idea why it is done that way but maybe to ensure that all the keys don't get lost.

My point is ... don't jump too fast. Maybe you can get the original keys.

Did you buy the car from the original owner? Lexus can usually identify prevous owners and your local dealer can contact them in your behalf. I know because that was done for me when my 00 LS came with only one key when I bought it in 03. My Lexus dealer verified that the lessee had turned in all keys when the three year lease ended.

Oddly, the missing keys showed up after a few weeks -- standard procedure of the auto auction where my off lease LS was sold to the dealer I bought it from. That particular auto auction provides only one key to the purchaser so the car can be driven away and it then sends the rest of the keys by mail. I have no idea why it is done that way but maybe to ensure that all the keys don't get lost.

My point is ... don't jump too fast. Maybe you can get the original keys.

I dont think I can find the orig. owner. I bought the car in Upstate SC, from a lot, and the one owner is in florida! It was owned by a corporate business, so thers no telling where the keys ended up!

• 3 weeks later...

WELL I JUST WANTED TO LET EVERYBODY KNOW THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO THE DEALER TO GET A NEW MASTER KEY. I CAN DO THOSE KEYS AND PROGRAM THEM TO YOU CAR FOR A LOT CHEAPER THAN $1000. YOU DO NOT NEED A NEW COMPUTER. I AM A LOCKSMITH IN CHICAGO AND I HAVE THE EQUIPMENT TO MAKE THOSE KEYS AND ALSO TO PROGRAM THEM BY PLUGGING IN MY TRANSPONDER MACHINE TO THE OBD OF THE CAR. I SPECIALIZE IN CAR KEYS SO I KNOW WHAT IS NEEDED. FEEL FREE TO LOOK AT MY WEBSITE AND GIVE ME A CALL, (www.chitownlocksmith.com).

WELL I JUST WANTED TO LET EVERYBODY KNOW THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO THE DEALER TO GET A NEW MASTER KEY. I CAN DO THOSE KEYS AND PROGRAM THEM TO YOU CAR FOR A LOT CHEAPER THAN $1000. YOU DO NOT NEED A NEW COMPUTER. I AM A LOCKSMITH IN CHICAGO AND I HAVE THE EQUIPMENT TO MAKE THOSE KEYS AND ALSO TO PROGRAM THEM BY PLUGGING IN MY TRANSPONDER MACHINE TO THE OBD OF THE CAR. I SPECIALIZE IN CAR KEYS SO I KNOW WHAT IS NEEDED. FEEL FREE TO LOOK AT MY WEBSITE AND GIVE ME A CALL, (www.chitownlocksmith.com).

So, if I brought you a an IS300 with no key at all, you can make a new key that operates everything? How much $$$ does it cost if you can? It's good to know this if so.

• 3 weeks later...

What I usually charge to make a key for a lexus depends on the year but they usually run around $500 if you dont have a key. On some models and years we have to take out the module box and reflash the module but on the newer ones like a 2004 I can do it with my On-board diagnostic equipment. And sorry about screaming I just wanted to let everyone know that the dealer is not the only ones that can make those keys. I can also do copies and spares.

Thanx :snoooorrrtttt:

JUNIOR @ CHITOWN LOCKSMITH

That is excellent info to have...I bought my lexus and only got one key and it want a master...the dealer was asking somewhere around 1500 for everything...but, recently the computer went out and I needed a new EMC anyway...the parts manager was really helpful in everything but didnt think of the key...I just called and ask and because of the new computer anyway that they just installed they said if I buy just a key they will fix the problem and program it at their cost due to them missing the opportunity to help with the problem... :) ...I know its not a big help but saving a few hundred dollars in my book adds alot of brownie points with the dealer..... :D