Cats Glowing Red..did I Damage It?

Blake_batonrouge

Hey guys, I am still currently test driving a 91 LS 400 that I am thinking about purchasing. This morning I got into the car and tried driving to work and I was suffering the low idle issue. The car started misfiring and would not really get moving so by the time I was able to pull over the exhaust was smoking and the pass side cat was red hot. Did I destroy the cat or will it be fine after it cools down?

Anyone got an answer???

Sounds like the cat is plugged up and needs replacing. I would NOT worry about the damaging the cat, I'd be worried about overheating the engine or cooking some exhaust valves.

Does my MAJOR misfire have anything to do with it? I mean I haven't purchased the car yet, and I might use this as a little more leverage to talk the guy down on it. I need to know if I destroyed it.

If you're not a diy, why spend time diagnosing a problem car you're interested in purchasing when there are so many out there without problems? My advice, spend your time looking for a better car instead!

I guess I wanted it because it was in such good physical shape. I have never seen better leather, low mileage, or a working LCD...LOL

Take it from personal experience "if you already are having to ask serious issues about the car and havent even bought it...might to more than the car checked out"....lol..been there done that...paid for it for over a year finally got lucky and it got wrecked...Kentucky Farm Bur. helped with the additional financing... Funny thing...It was a BMW...LMAO

If you're not a diy, why spend time diagnosing a problem car you're interested in purchasing when there are so many out there without problems? My advice, spend your time looking for a better car instead!

I guess I wanted it because it was in such good physical shape. I have never seen better leather, low mileage, or a working LCD...LOL

From what you have described, you may have a misfiring engine causing excess fuel to be dumped into the cat resulting in a red hot cherry cat. It is difficult to say if any damage had been done; chances are if you still feel a pretty good exhaust flow from the tailpipe no harm was done. And if the misfiring is corrected, you may not have any further problem with the cat.

Good Luck,

N.C.O.

From what you have described, you may have a misfiring engine causing excess fuel to be dumped into the cat resulting in a red hot cherry cat. It is difficult to say if any damage had been done; chances are if you still feel a pretty good exhaust flow from the tailpipe no harm was done. And if the misfiring is corrected, you may not have any further problem with the cat.

Good Luck,

N.C.O.

Thanks N.C.O. talked the guy down to $3500 and bought the car. Went to Lexus got a new coil pack and changed it out. Car is running fine now with NO misfire or glowing pass side cat.