Trunk Release Failed

IS400

On my trip to the beach last weekend the electric trunk latch failed. I noticed the repair method you guys listed and found the black wire in the bundle coming from the left side trunk hinge. The black wire was indeed broken and I repaired it with solder and shrink wrap.

The latch is LOUD now compared to before! Wham! The trunk releases. I guess it was so frayed that it was barely getting any juice.

What I have noticed though, is that my brakes feel a lot tighter. I was wondering if this a ground for more than the trunk latch. Does it have anything to do with abs sensors in the rear? Maybe they were offline and giving the computer an issue that affected braking somehow. Just a guess.

I have been messing with my left front speaker in the drivers door and cannot get it to work. The meter says it is getting no signal from the radio and I suspected it was part of the cell phone (speaker phone) system in these Gen 1's. That led me to the fix you mentioned in the bundle from the cell phone that was to take the yellow and black wires and combine them. Nothing changed. No signal, no front left speaker. Though now the cell phone will not turn on. Not that i use it or anything! Any hints about getting a signal to the front left would be greatly appreciated! (I have noticed the front right cuts in and out sometimes too if that is any help.)

Yeah, I noticed the same thing about the brakes when I had the trunk wiring harness problem several years ago. The brake pedal just felt different. There was a sensation of "grabbiness" in the braking system. (Is that a word?)

Another very common problem associated with the "broken wire syndrome" is erratic transmission shifting.

That particular ground wire obviously affects a number of different parts of the car's electrical system.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing about the brakes when I had the trunk wiring harness problem several years ago. The brake pedal just felt different. There was a sensation of "grabbiness" in the braking system. (Is that a word?)

Another very common problem associated with the "broken wire syndrome" is erratic transmission shifting.

That particular ground wire obviously affects a number of different parts of the car's electrical system.

Thanks! I noticed the car just seems more 'fresh' in acceleration and braking. I agree with your 'grabbiness' description, but as a woman it usually is used to describe you boys!

I just think the ten minutes it took to do the job is one of the cheapest and easiest performance mods I've made so far on the car.... ...worth checking to see if anyone else has a worn or frayed ground themselves.

I agree with your 'grabbiness' description, but as a woman it usually is used to describe you boys!

hahahahahahah :)

Good to hear you got your car fixed up.

Does anyone know if the wiring harness has ever been a problem in 2nd gens?