Gs430 Or Gs350

I am looking at a 2007 gs350 and a 2006 gs430...I am wondering what the real world gas mileage is with a 430....I have read accounts of upper 20s on the highway. I love the suspension on the 430...any issues with it at higher mileage?

Thanks so much

Its very similar. The benefits of the V8 over the V6 are that the V8 is more refined and has more torque, so where by the numbers the 350 may hit 60 first, the 430 feels more powerful down in the low end.

Personally? If the cost difference wasn't a lot used I'd take the V8 every time. If I were purchasing a new GS though, I wouldn't even think about the V8, its too similar in cost to the LS.

Its very similar. The benefits of the V8 over the V6 are that the V8 is more refined and has more torque, so where by the numbers the 350 may hit 60 first, the 430 feels more powerful down in the low end.

Personally? If the cost difference wasn't a lot used I'd take the V8 every time. If I were purchasing a new GS though, I wouldn't even think about the V8, its too similar in cost to the LS.

To be clear, I am looking at used 2007 GS350 and 2006 GS430 cars...would really like to know what the real world mileage is with a Gs430, city and highway...Love the suspension on the 430 with the sport setting...don't think that is an option on the 300 or 350?

Thanks so much

To be clear, I am looking at used 2007 GS350 and 2006 GS430 cars...would really like to know what the real world mileage is with a Gs430, city and highway...Love the suspension on the 430 with the sport setting...don't think that is an option on the 300 or 350?

Thanks so much

I have a 2006 GS430 with 36K miles. I average about 18-20 MPG in heavy traffic and close to 30 on the road and a combined MPG of about 22 MPG. To me this is incredible mileage given that the 430 is Lexus' version of a bad boy car. My last car was a 6 liter Cadillac and I was lucky to get 12 MPG in the city. The V8 in this car is very refined and smooth as glass. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either car but the V8 is like driving a Rolex.

I find it a bit ironic to be discussing gas mileage for a car in this price range and that offers this type of performance. On the other hand, since I use premium gas at almost $4/gallon, I admit I've been paying attention to the mileage myself lately. I have an '06 GS430. I've never calculated the mileage manually, but rather, I assume the on-board computer is fairly accurate in it's measurement. I drive in the Dallas area - mixed traffic and highway. I ususally find myself somewhere in the 20-22mpg range. On the open highway, it will approach 27-30mpg - which is pretty impressive for a powerful V-8. In the city or heavy stop/go traffic, I rarely find it dropping below 19mpg.

The performance and suspension are sweet. Performance and efficiency are generally inversely related. Good mix of both here...

Even people who can afford expensive cars care about fuel efficiency. To suggest they don't or shouldn't doesn't make any sense...

Did you even read my post? I made no such suggestion. My comments were meant to suggest that fuel efficiency and performance are, for the most part, mutually exclusive. And that the decision to buy the higher performing (and yes..higher priced) GS430 typically means fuel efficiency is a less important variable to the buyer. Otherwise, with the GS line, there are more fuel efficient options that are otherwise virtually identical. I also went on to admit that I, too, am paying more attention to fuel economy lately. Lastly, I offered feedback on the suspension, performance, and some feedback on my real world mileage as requested in the original post. My intent was to add some value to the forum and provide some information to the original post. I'm struggling to find any value or point in your comment here...but thanks.

The point of my comment is that people automatically assume that people who spend a lot of money for a vehicle or have a lot of money don't care about fuel efficiency. Lexus thinks so too, thats why all their hybrids are performance oriented. But, now they're planning a hybrid based on efficiency and not performance. Lexus hybrids sell well, but they don't sell out the way efficiency based hybrids do.

Average income of a Prius owner and a GS owner are about the same. $120k for the Prius, $150k for the GS.

You said you felt it was ironic he would care in a car at that price point...

The point of my comment is that people automatically assume that people who spend a lot of money for a vehicle or have a lot of money don't care about fuel efficiency. Lexus thinks so too, thats why all their hybrids are performance oriented. But, now they're planning a hybrid based on efficiency and not performance. Lexus hybrids sell well, but they don't sell out the way efficiency based hybrids do.

Average income of a Prius owner and a GS owner are about the same. $120k for the Prius, $150k for the GS.

No, that's not what I said.

THIS is what I said: "I find it a bit ironic to be discussing gas mileage for a car in this price range and that offers this type of performance. On the other hand, since I use premium gas at almost $4/gallon, I admit I've been paying attention to the mileage myself lately."

I don't make the assumption that you accuse "people" of making. If you insist on miscontruing my comments, at least quote me correctly, please.

But why do you find it ironic?

You know, I think the Prius drivers I've observed on the road drive as arrogantly as BMW drivers.

It depends on the driver. They're either like you say, or wont get out of their own way lol

But why do you find it ironic?
You know, I think the Prius drivers I've observed on the road drive as arrogantly as BMW drivers.

It depends on the driver. They're either like you say, or wont get out of their own way lol

Why I find it ironic is already pretty well documented in my original and subsequent posts.

Since it seems like I keep having to repeat myself for you to actually read and comprehend my comments...here it is again:

"fuel efficiency and performance are, for the most part, mutually exclusive. And that the decision to buy the higher performing (and yes..higher priced) GS430 typically means fuel efficiency is a less important variable to the buyer. Otherwise, with the GS line, there are more fuel efficient options that are otherwise virtually identical."

This diaolog is annyoing. I'm done with it. Have a good weekend.

Thats the whole point of what he's asking. Obviously he's interested in the perfomance of the V8 he's just wondering what kind of hit he's going to take in the fuel economy department.

You can keep quoting your post all you want, I just don't understand the point of what you're saying.

• 1 month later...
2006 GS430. I do mixed driving in Sacramento where it goes from stop & go to 80 mph. I average between 22-24 in these conditions depending upon how lead-footed Im feelin. On the freeway, exclusive freeway driving yields 25-28.

I recently bought an 06 GS430. I did a 1500 mile trip and had a hard time getting more than 26mpg on the highway. Wondering how you achieve 27 or 28. I ran 35psi in tires and left the cruise on. I averaged 74mph on the highway. Around town I am getting 20-21 and 19 driving fast.

I see TONS of prius's and GS's around. I find it very hard to believe that all those owners make $120 or $150k on average.

I only make $95 and drive a GS. I guess I'm poor.

2006 GS430. I do mixed driving in Sacramento where it goes from stop & go to 80 mph. I average between 22-24 in these conditions depending upon how lead-footed Im feelin. On the freeway, exclusive freeway driving yields 25-28.

I recently bought an 06 GS430. I did a 1500 mile trip and had a hard time getting more than 26mpg on the highway. Wondering how you achieve 27 or 28. I ran 35psi in tires and left the cruise on. I averaged 74mph on the highway. Around town I am getting 20-21 and 19 driving fast.

well, i'm even worse shape, with a dog-slow gs 300 awd, that is struggling to make 18mpg on my current commute. It is very short, and I have about 13 stoplights, all of which are infuriatingly long. i spend more time idling and accelerating from a dead stop to about 30-50 mph over and over. I may as well have gotten a gs 430 or new 460. Doesnt sound like the worst condition mileage is tht much worse.

i can get over 30 mpg on the open road if I keep it under 65 and use the cruise. but there's so much traffic that you constantly have to brake and accelerate.