1) P/S Fluid

2) Brake Fluid

3) Fuel Injection (every 30k)

Rear Bulb - $3

Drive Belts (2 belts)

Total = $1631.09

Grant total OTD with 15% Discount = $1391

What's the verdict?

my personal opinion is its alil high but not much... considering I figure the area you live in. I am sure you will get more replies but, there is a certain expected price to pay for the car you drive. By looking at the breakdown the largest part of that was in labor for the 90,000 mile belt and driving belts. With that said I wouldn't think you got killed, just maybe hit by friendly fire..lol...flesh wound..you have another 90,000 to walk it off. :P

my personal opinion is its alil high but not much... considering I figure the area you live in. I am sure you will get more replies but, there is a certain expected price to pay for the car you drive. By looking at the breakdown the largest part of that was in labor for the 90,000 mile belt and driving belts. With that said I wouldn't think you got killed, just maybe hit by friendly fire..lol...flesh wound..you have another 90,000 to walk it off. :P

Thanks for being gentle, Captain. :P

I've been doing my own oil changes every 5k up to this point since I enjoy it. I take my car in for the 30/60/90k since I'm not adept on doing the major work. Everyone talks about the timing belt being the "major" one so I figure now is my time.

I had pretty much the same work done 6 months ago, but with an independent that specializes in Toyota/Lexus .... the total was $1186. So, I would say considering this was done at a Toyota dealership, that price is pretty good.

90k Service done at Toyota- Basic 90k - $569.95

Synthetic oil change

Change engine air filter

Replace coolant

Replace iridium spark plugs

Rotate Tires

Drain and refill tranny

Inspect:

Brakes, discs, drums, lines, hoses

drive shaft boots

steering linkage

drive belts

body and chassis nuts and bolts

fuel line connections

exhaust/mountings

Additional Services & Costs

Wiper Blades (3 total - 2 front, 1 back) - $40

Timing Belt

Parts $104.26

Labor $650

Fluid Changes & Fuel Injection - $278.88

1) P/S Fluid

2) Brake Fluid

Rear Bulb - $3

Drive Belts (2 belts)

Total = $1631.09

What's the verdict?

Is that $650. labor to install the timing belt? If so, though I realize SJ is an expensive area to live in, that seems more than a little excessive. The local (So Cal.) Toyota dealer always advertises $189. for changing a timing belt on V-6 (belt AND labor). :pirate:

Synthetic oil change

Change engine air filter

Replace coolant

Rotate Tires

Drain and refill tranny

Inspect:

drive shaft boots

steering linkage

drive belts

fuel line connections

exhaust/mountings

Timing Belt

Parts $104.26

Labor $650

1) P/S Fluid

2) Brake Fluid

Rear Bulb - $3

Drive Belts (2 belts)

Total = $1631.09

What's the verdict?

Is that $650. labor to install the timing belt? If so, though I realize SJ is an expensive area to live in, that seems more than a little excessive. The local (So Cal.) Toyota dealer always advertises $189. for changing a timing belt on V-6 (belt AND labor). :pirate:

Thats probably true with the commercial but that is just that a ploy to get you in the door.. if you look at the fine print in any add...it didnt mention the hourly rate to be charged..what cars meet that requirement and the drive belts... in a country that sells bottled water and canned air being versed in getting someone in the door is always the first step... also I am sure if you call the people that had listen to the commercial it was never JUST $189.00. It might have been alil high but all and all personal thought was not much... and it was done by a certified toyota mechanic so it is going to be alil higher than the guy with a lower overhead and his two cousins...lol... :P

Synthetic oil change

Change engine air filter

Replace coolant

Rotate Tires

Drain and refill tranny

Inspect:

drive shaft boots

steering linkage

drive belts

fuel line connections

exhaust/mountings

Timing Belt

Parts $104.26

Labor $650

1) P/S Fluid

2) Brake Fluid

Rear Bulb - $3

Drive Belts (2 belts)

Total = $1631.09

What's the verdict?

Is that $650. labor to install the timing belt? If so, though I realize SJ is an expensive area to live in, that seems more than a little excessive. The local (So Cal.) Toyota dealer always advertises $189. for changing a timing belt on V-6 (belt AND labor).:pirate:

Thats probably true with the commercial but that is just that a ploy to get you in the door.. if you look at the fine print in any add...it didnt mention the hourly rate to be charged..what cars meet that requirement and the drive belts... in a country that sells bottled water and canned air being versed in getting someone in the door is always the first step... also I am sure if you call the people that had listen to the commercial it was never JUST $189.00. It might have been alil high but all and all personal thought was not much... and it was done by a certified toyota mechanic so it is going to be alil higher than the guy with a lower overhead and his two cousins...lol... :P

No, that is in a flyer that I get in the mail on a regular basis from the local Toyota dealer. So Cal. is a pretty competitive market. And the dealer is a pretty straight shooter- they have given me discount prices on everything i bought, not just what was in the flyer. I absolutely believe they would deliver on that price. That is a V-6 in cars, not pick-ups- that's about $30.- $40. higher. They used to sell me the red anti-freeze for $12.95 a gallon and T-IV trans. fluid for $3.75 a qt. by the case when the Lexus dealer wanted $7. a qt. Original Toyota filters for $3.95 on the coupon. All of those prices have gone up in recent time (because of Toyota, not them).

Considering it's a Lexus "luxury" vehicle, and the 90K with timing belt replace is one of the, if not biggest, periodic maintenance services performed, I think that is about what I would expect. Also, considering the predicted reliabilty of the vehicle (few if any unplanned failures), it's not an unfair price for what you get. The only thing on the list I would question is what did they do to the

GoldenState,

If you don't want other folks' honest opinions, then don't ask for them. What part of that concept did you not understand the first time?

Allow me to rephrase my response to be a bit more gentle and less apt to bruise your feelings: "Yes, Skippy, you definitely overpaid for your services. But that's okay - you get a rainbow sticker and a smiley face anyway, and there's milk and cookies waiting for you in the kitchen...."

The change of the timing belt is an expensive process (much labor). I cannot believe that $189 gets it done. I got even more 'soaked' than the original writer: $1,400 from Kendall Lexus for the 60K maintenance, which included the timing belt change (because of the age of the car). I am sure that less expensive maintenance can be had, but if you want it done at Lexus (or Toyota), you have to pay the price. It might even pay dividends in the event you later have a problem/claim with Lexus, since you can show that you had all services done at dealership.

So: no fun but not so bad, and there are worse things...

Good luck!

RX, I think he was joking around, hence the "=P" smiley...

I think you did pretty well, they did a synthetic change, a fuel induction service (which is not part of the Lexus factory maintenance), and the plugs as well as the timing belt.

If you took out the $200 or so for the unnecisary fuel induction service you'd have an okay price for the service.

Synthetic oil change

Change engine air filter

Replace coolant

Rotate Tires

Drain and refill tranny

Inspect:

drive shaft boots

steering linkage

drive belts

fuel line connections

exhaust/mountings

Timing Belt

Parts $104.26

Labor $650

1) P/S Fluid

2) Brake Fluid

Rear Bulb - $3

Drive Belts (2 belts)

Total = $1631.09

What's the verdict?

$570? Are you kidding me? Oil change: $45. Tranny change: $150. Replacing spark plugs: Anyone with a socket wrench can do. Nothing else there should be even charged for. I wouldn't pay more than $250 for that package.

The Timing Belt and last set of charges look OK, though.