Suspension?

chadmg7

Hey everyone. I know this has been discussed before, as I have participated in some of the conversations. However, I was unable to find anybody with a definite solution to this problem: the clunking noise from the front wheels.

Tonight, I started to realize that it is getting under my skin. Winter is just starting and I am already sick of hearing it.

Also, the creak noise I hear when I turn the steering wheel... it sounds like it's coming from the front axle or something. It is not incredibly loud, but just enough of a creak to be noticed (by me and anyone riding with me).

Lastly, another issue (probably due to the cold weather we are having in MN), but I have another strange noise from the steering wheel, or front of the car, I cannot tell. I do not know how to describe the sound. Okay, promise not to laugh? :unsure: It sounds like a dolphin. You know the noise dolphins make? I mean, not really loud but when I turn the steering wheel from all the way left to all the way right (like when I am doing a U turn or something), it makes a couple of quick DOLPHIN-LIKE sounds. WEIRD?!?! :( Has anyone ever heard of this?

Sorry if this is repititious. But I just want to see if anyone has had any luck in finding out what this is caused by. Plus, I am sure there are a lot of people on this forum that have similar issues that do not know what to do.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

you have mulitple issues with parts you are unsure of.

You need to have the car physically looked at, other wise it is a guess.

It would have been beeter to post in an already started topic that is related as to already cover mentioned fixes. The creaking has been mentioned how to fix , the dolhin noise is probably the tires rubbing the body because of a damaged wheel or suspension part.

You need to get the car looked at.

The year is 1997. I actually have had the car looked at and they could not find anything, which is why I came to this board. They said that the clunking noise was nothing that they could find. There are brand new tires on it, so I wonder if the tire place messed something up when the put the tires on.

does the dolphin noise only occur when the steering wheel is maxed all the way over to the right or left or does it happen at any point when the steering wheel is moved. It is a common sound on many cars but only when the steering wheel is turned all the way left or right to the stop position. The easy solution is to not crank the wheel all the way over.

Check the power steering belt for slip, tension, cracks and that sort.

steviej

It actually happens when I turn the steering wheel normally, as when I am backing into a parking spot. It does not sound like wheels rubbing against the car or anything. It sounds like air pressure or something. It does not do any weird noises when I turn them all the way one way. But if I turn the steering wheel three revolutions one way, it will make the noise a couple of times as I am turning the wheel.

I just had my '97 in not too long ago for the same creaking noise. It turned out that the top bearings on the struts had gone bad. I'm not sure what the dolphin noise could be. The best way to get your problems fixed is to ask the service manager to go in the car with you while you recreate the noises, this way they can't say there isn't anything wrong. Good Luck.

depends on how much you want to spend. Lex and Toyo will charge you a diagnostic fee. You can negotiate this with the service manager. Tell them you will have the work done there if they deduct the cost of the diagnostic from the cost of the work to be done.

Lexus will be the most $$$$ per hour, then Toyo. If you use an independent, stick with one that knows/deals with Lexus vehicles regularly.

steviej

It actually happens when I turn the steering wheel normally, as when I am backing into a parking spot. It does not sound like wheels rubbing against the car or anything. It sounds like air pressure or something. It does not do any weird noises when I turn them all the way one way. But if I turn the steering wheel three revolutions one way, it will make the noise a couple of times as I am turning the wheel.

There is the possibility that the power steering belt is slipping slightly. I would try to tighten it up a bit and see if you still get that dolphin sound.