New Tires Needed For 2000 Gs300

Hello-

I currently have Michelin tires on my 2000 gs300. But I am in need of another set of tires. Frankly speaking, the Michelin tires are a little too expensive. I have been checking out Kumho tires, but I am not sure if they are up to par for my GS. Could someone provide some suggestions on the brand of tire I should select? Maybe someone could recommend another tire other than Michelin. Also, the speed rating of tire - do I have to have the same speed rating as the Michelin Pilot (V)? Can I put a speed rating of H on my Lexus. Please Help!

I've got Bridgestone Turanzas on my LS400...great tire for much less than Michelin. I avoid Goodyear at all cost any more...too many bad experiences. You can likely get away with a lower speed rating unless you're an absolute maniac on the road.

Hello-

I currently have Michelin tires on my 2000 gs300. But I am in need of another set of tires. Frankly speaking, the Michelin tires are a little too expensive. I have been checking out Kumho tires, but I am not sure if they are up to par for my GS. Could someone provide some suggestions on the brand of tire I should select? Maybe someone could recommend another tire other than Michelin. Also, the speed rating of tire - do I have to have the same speed rating as the Michelin Pilot (V)? Can I put a speed rating of H on my Lexus. Please Help!

I just put a set of General Altimax HP V-Rated 215/60-16 directional tires on my 98 GS3 and they are awesome! Got them from thetirerack.com delivered in one day (DE to PA), paid $78 each for them and just received a General Tire VISA Gift Card for $50 in the mail as a rebate. I could not possibly be happier.

What tire size does your GS require? I have two: 215 60 16 or 235 45 17's as possibilities. I agree that Michelin's are on the pricy side but you get what you pay for. One tire you should seriously consider based on your post would be the Yokohama Avid H4S which are available in both of the above sizes. It's a very good value & compromise in an all season tire with very good treadlife.

More info here...

235 45 17 - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...es&place=13

And here...

215 60 16 - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...yes&place=8

You will be fine using an H speed rated tire on your GS.

:cheers:

i've been sticking with my Michelin energy mxv4's.........i know they are a little pricey but i haven't found a tire I LIKE more. nice and quiet, great ride, good grip, and they last. tires are the one thing i really wont cheap out on as my ride/life can depend on my tires sticking or stopping!

brian

What tire size does your GS require? I have two: 215 60 16 or 235 45 17's as possibilities. I agree that Michelin's are on the pricy side but you get what you pay for. One tire you should seriously consider based on your post would be the Yokohama Avid H4S which are available in both of the above sizes. It's a very good value & compromise in an all season tire with very good treadlife.

More info here...

235 45 17 - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...es&place=13

And here...

215 60 16 - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...yes&place=8

You will be fine using an H speed rated tire on your GS.

:cheers:

I think your ES is not nearly as sensitive to use of the proper tires as compared to the GS. I have had exceedingly poor results with Yoko Avid tires on my GS and would whole-heartedly recommend against using them on a GS.

I think your ES is not nearly as sensitive to use of the proper tires as compared to the GS. I have had exceedingly poor results with Yoko Avid tires on my GS and would whole-heartedly recommend against using them on a GS.

Please explain what you mean by exceedingly poor results & which Avid tires you are talking about.

Please explain what you mean by exceedingly poor results & which Avid tires you are talking about.

Talking about Avid Touring tires. Chose them because the tread pattern seemed to have a "Michelin style design" so I figured it was worth a try. Steering response on my GS got noticibly worse and road noise went up significantly. Started to notice uneven wear on inside edges of all four tires so brought the car back to Lexus for 4-wheel alignment. Everything was within specs, but tires continued to wear unevenly. Also noticed rear tires "breaking loose" even with VSC turned on. Traction in wet went down significantly - no side exit channels for rainwater in this tire's tread design. Just not a great tire for the RWD GS in my humble but experienced opinion. The H4S could be a better tire but I'd stay away from Yokohama in general based on my past experience.

I'm running Michelins pilots AS Exaltos, about 1/3 price of top line Pilots and work just as good plus they have a warrenty that the higher price Pilots don't. I have a 400 GS and have run them over 120mph, very quiet and smooth too.

• 1 month later...

My tire size 225-55-16 and I was almost certain that Kumhos would be okay to run on it. Michelin are just a little to expensive for me right now but I want a good, low noise, smooth riding tire. Any more suggestions? Also, the speed rating says V but can I perhaps put another speed rating on the GS - how important is this? Please help.