Pictures Of Shock/spring Replacement - Yes/no?

K9crew

I've ordered Eibach springs and Tokico shocks for my '95 SC and plan to install them next week. I usually take digital photos of my automotive projects and was wondering if detailed photos would be useful. If a collection of photos is already available or no one expresses any interest I'll just take some general photos that'll provide an overview of the swap.

:)

Actually, that is a great idea if you can put together step by step photos, AJ this would be a great thing to do for those that do have digital cams and would like to do it. When they do something, take step by step photos, and put together a a do-it-yourself repair guide.

Actually, that is a great idea if you can put together step by step photos, AJ this would be a great thing to do for those that do have digital cams and would like to do it. When they do something, take step by step photos, and put together a a do-it-yourself repair guide.

This is what we ecourage here at this site. This is what we want. This is what I want. Step by steps. Detailed pics. Feel free to post pictures and info here in this forum, but we really like complete threads for our workshop forum - that is where we want the do it yourself info with details and pics. Feel free to contribute however you see fit to either forum. Thanks for the offer K9crew. I look forward to seeing it as well as many others, I'm sure. Good luck on the job.

Shocks came today, springs will be here tomorrow via UPS, spring compressor has been dusted off, batteries in the digital camera are charged ...

I'll be doing the swap on the 26th and will post a link to the pictures that night. I've read the front and rear suspension sections in the shop manual and the rear looks to be very easy, the front is a little more involved but straightforward enough. My friend has a lift at his shop that I can use so that should speed things up!

Well, I didn't think about ordering and replacing the isolators (thick black rubber pads) that go between the top of the spring and the upper mounting plate. The two rear isolators/boots were torn ... at least the corrugated part that shields the shock was torn. I'm going to order them tomorrow and then reinstall everything with the new isolators. Hopefully this will eliminate the knocking noise that I'm getting. I've uploaded a bunch of photos to my server but they are about 400Kb each. Once I've installed the new isolators next week I'll resize the images and put together a "HOW TO". If anyone with a fast connection wants to check out the photos before that they can click on the link below.

Tokico shocks and Eibach springs

SPORTcoupe300,

:huh: Are you referring to the zip ties temporarily supporting the front brake calipers or do you have something else in mind ....... ??

Front (48157-24010) and rear (48257-24010) isolators are $30.86 each but with my friend's "jobber" discount the total cost is around $95. I hope that fixes the noise since my wife is starting to make noises of her own .... and not the good kind!! :blushing:

Well, I didn't think about ordering and replacing the isolators (thick black rubber pads) that go between the top of the spring and the upper mounting plate. The two rear isolators/boots were torn ... at least the corrugated part that shields the shock was torn. I'm going to order them tomorrow and then reinstall everything with the new isolators. Hopefully this will eliminate the knocking noise that I'm getting. I've uploaded a bunch of photos to my server but they are about 400Kb each. Once I've installed the new isolators next week I'll resize the images and put together a "HOW TO". If anyone with a fast connection wants to check out the photos before that they can click on the link below.

Tokico shocks and Eibach springs

Nice pics. You couldn't have shrunk them for us :angry: You had to make me change the settings on my monitor. :rolleyes:

Once I've installed the new isolators next week I'll resize the images and put together a "HOW TO". If anyone with a fast connection wants to check out the photos before that they can click on the link below.

UCF3,

Despite my previous statement, your wish is my command ...... :P

Tokico shocks and Eibach springs "resized and rotated"

I don't want to do a write-up until I've swapped the isolators this week.

Hey those pics are good so far !! just need some words to connect them now.

I had the same prob too when changing my spring/shocks. The bump stops were worn (and tornon the left) so the car was sitting 70mm from the road. Had them replaced with poly urethane stops so they never tear again.

I'd like a copy of the final product for this doco as my rears are due for a rebuild. Bilstein, ahh such a great long term money saver =)

Thanks for the kind words guys!! The installation really isn't that bad ... the ride is a little firmer but way more controlled. A nice bonus after the swap is that the CD changer in the trunk isn't skipping any more!! :D The installation requires very few tools and Sears has a nice spring compressor for $40.00.

I'll post a HOW TO and tool list on Friday of this week since I plan on installing the new isolators on Thursday.

Well, I spent most of yesterday working on my SC and replaced the four isolators between the top of the springs and the mounting plates in addition to replacing all seven exhaust heat shield clamps with ss hose clamps. The good news is that the ride is now EXCELLENT with no knocking or other unusual sounds. The SC's steering is more responsive with excellent road feel. I'm in the process of putting together a HOW TO and will make a post when I've finished.

Once I've installed the new isolators next week I'll resize the images and put together a "HOW TO". If anyone with a fast connection wants to check out the photos before that they can click on the link below.

UCF3,

Despite my previous statement, your wish is my command ...... :P

Tokico shocks and Eibach springs "resized and rotated"

I don't want to do a write-up until I've swapped the isolators this week.

Thanks man :)

Hey those pics are good so far !! just need some words to connect them now.

I had the same prob too when changing my spring/shocks. The bump stops were worn (and tornon the left) so the car was sitting 70mm from the road. Had them replaced with poly urethane stops so they never tear again.

I'd like a copy of the final product for this doco as my rears are due for a rebuild. Bilstein, ahh such a great long term money saver =)

Anyone know where to find the urethane bump stops/spring isolators? I am about to tackle the same job and figure I'll be needing to replace them as well since I have almost 115,000 miles. Thanks for the help and info!

Hi K9crew!! :)

First off - thanks for responding to my 'red x' topic on the LS board.

I really enjoyed looking at all of those great close-up photo's of the installation of your new springs and shocks. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Two questions: Why did you decide on Eibach springs and Tokico shocks? Did you consider other combinations? Could you have used Eibach springs and new stock shocks? [i ask because that's what I'm semi-thinking of doing with my '93 LS] AND... what do you think of the ride and handling of your car - NOW - since you've been driving it for over a week.

Craig!! :)

Craig,

I've put together a "How To" that might be useful if you decide to install shocks/springs yourself.

Suspension Upgrade "How To"

I think everyone here will agree that Eibach springs are a good choice although other springs are available. A number of members have installed Eibach springs with KYB shocks and seem to like that combination and my previous experience with Eibach springs on my '95 Tbird SC was a positive one. I had Tokico shocks on a Acura Integra back in the early '90's and was very pleased with the performance and ride (especially when combined with the stock torsion bars - the Tokico torsion bars were brutal!!). I did consider KYB shocks but since the factory shock is from KYB I wanted to try something different. I bought the springs and shocks on eBay and saved close to $500 compared to paying for springs/shocks/installation at a local performance shop. The ride is excellent with the Eibach/Tokico combination ... it's not harsh, just controlled. The car feels much more "connected" to the road and the steering is more positive. I will certainly choose this combination again for my '99 LS!

As for using Eibach springs with stock shocks ... from what I've read/heard the stock shocks won't last long with aftermarket springs. This is what Eibach has to say on the matter ...

"All Eibach Pro-Kits are engineered to perform in harmony with the original damper of the special vehicle - take for granted a good working condition. All TÜV approvals in Germany certify the combination of the Pro-Kit with an OEM shock."

HOWEVER, this is their response to a question about the warranty of a stock shock when used with Eibach springs ...

"There is no change of the warranty. Actually, the weight of the car and the required basic dynamic work remain the same. Though with special progressive characteristic of the Pro-Kit, the damper is challenged more and usually makes it wear out faster."

Thanks K9crew!! :)

According to the Eibach site - the Pro-Kit springs for my '93 LS will lower the car 1" - front and back. Is your SC now 1" lower? The wheels on my car already seem pretty close the the wheel-wells. Dropping the car 1" all around might cause problems. [or would it?] Also - if indeed the Eibach's DO lower the car - will I have to tint the windows and buy a 12" subwoofer?! [to match the new 'look' of my car] I'd much prefer my car maintained it's stock ride height. [or very VERY close to it] I suppose my biggest concern has to do with ruining the ride. I like the idea of feeling more 'connected' to the road and having a more positive steering feel - but I don't want to take ALL of the LS out of the LS. [if you know what I mean]

Also... if I did go with new Eibachs and Tokico shocks - would that cause any undue stress on the other suspension parts? [like the swaybars, bushings, etc.] Or even things like the power steering pump or whatever.

Thanks for the link to your 'how to' site. It's not working for me - right this second. So I'll try a little later.

Craig!! :)

ps just so you know - I'd probably have my Lexus dealer install any new springs and shocks.

Craig,

My SC is definitely lower and if you look at the picture in the link and use a straight edge the drop appears to be equivalent to the radius of the center cap of the wheel. I'm going to measure the cap to see what the radius is. The rear seems to have dropped more than the front but either way I like the stance of the vehicle now. I replaced the isolators since the original ones had almost 60K miles on them.

Before (bottom) and After (top)

My '99 LS has plenty of room above the wheels for a 1" drop and I'm keen to get that done since the handling will be much better. You needn't worry about looking like a gang banger with only a 1" drop!! However, your concerns about "taking the LS out of the LS" are valid since a great deal of effort was put into tuning the suspension to be the way it is. Installing Tokico shocks and Eibach springs will DEFINITELY change the ride characteristics. Personally I don't like going over a bump doing 60mph on the freeway and have my head almost hit the roof which is what happens on soft luxury car type suspensions. I don't think that Eibach springs and Tokico shocks will put additional stress on other parts of the suspension, in fact the opposite may be true since the ride will be more controlled with fewer oscillations.

It's a tough decision I know and at least one member here is trying to get back that "LS" ride since the previous owner had installed a performance suspension. Don't forget that wheels and tires have a HUGE affect on the ride. The LS comes with 225/60/16 tires .... hardly a performance package!!! I'm thinking of buying 17" or 18" rims but am leaning towards 17" since a 235/55/17 tire in combination with Eibach springs and Tokico shocks should be comfortable but WAY more controlled.