1999 Gs400 Sunroof Issues

!999 GS400, 195,500 miles. Car has always been very well maintained. Recently the sunroof started closing then going back to half track. Now it may or may not close all the way. By all the way, i mean it will close and lift up as to complete closure and make the proper"seal", but leave a gap from the top of glass to roof line. My mercedes s600 did the same thing but resolved itself over a week or so. Not so much with this one. I work on ALL of my vehicles and take pride in doing so. I would love to get a lil feedback from the forum. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Christopher

The motor system in your car has a jamb-protection feature built into it. That is, if it detects abnormally high resistance while attempting to close it will reverse and stop mid-travel. If your roof rails are not clean and properly lubricated (a dry-silicone spray is recommended, so as not to remain wet and attract dirt) this can cause enough drag to activate the jamb-protection function. If that problem is resolved, check the rear-most screws that attach the sliding blocks to the glass. These screws are hidden by the plastic trim around the edges of the glass. If they are loose, the glass may have fallen down out of alignment. The holes are elongated to allow a bit of vertical adjustment of the glass in the fully closed position. After making adjustments, be sure to cycle the roof from fully open to fully closed while holding the switch in the desired direction until the panel stops moving. This operation will reset the jamb-protection status.

Lastly, the limit switches in the motor may be worn which can cause all of your problems. Lexus refers to these switches as the pulse-plate circuit. The only fix for that is a new motor. Be prepared to look in the salvage yards. The list cost of a motor is over $500.00.

I will say,i did look down on the sunroof "tracks". They are diiiiirrrty. I will attepmt to gently clean them and see if this helps this issue.

Thanks for the help o helpful laexus gurus. I will post as soon as I finifh working on it. Hopefully this sunday! :)

Thanks gang.

Christopher B)

• 2 weeks later...
The motor system in your car has a jamb-protection feature built into it. That is, if it detects abnormally high resistance while attempting to close it will reverse and stop mid-travel. If your roof rails are not clean and properly lubricated (a dry-silicone spray is recommended, so as not to remain wet and attract dirt) this can cause enough drag to activate the jamb-protection function. If that problem is resolved, check the rear-most screws that attach the sliding blocks to the glass. These screws are hidden by the plastic trim around the edges of the glass. If they are loose, the glass may have fallen down out of alignment. The holes are elongated to allow a bit of vertical adjustment of the glass in the fully closed position. After making adjustments, be sure to cycle the roof from fully open to fully closed while holding the switch in the desired direction until the panel stops moving. This operation will reset the jamb-protection status.

Lastly, the limit switches in the motor may be worn which can cause all of your problems. Lexus refers to these switches as the pulse-plate circuit. The only fix for that is a new motor. Be prepared to look in the salvage yards. The list cost of a motor is over $500.00.

I have the same problem for my 2002 GS300. I just called the local Lexus dealer and he quoted me about $350.00 to clean and re-grease the track.

What would you recommend for cleaning out the dirt & debris from the tracks. I can not get into the back of the track.

Got it FIXED !!!!!! I inspected the "tracking" system and found a lot of dirt and general build up of debris. I simply poured a small amount of simple green on the driver side coil/track and let it soak for 2 or 3 minutes, then blew it all out with compressed air. Re lubricated the "track/coil.....and Wala. Works GREAT.

Thanks o all knowing Lexus GURU's. You have come through once again!!

PS- it was a 15 minutes fix, with no major tools.

Christopher M. :) :D :D