Help With Burnt Out Tail Light Bulb!

xsaint53

I'm no mechanic, but I thought even I could figure out how to change a burnt out tail light bulb. Here's the situation: I have a'95 SC400, the passenger side taillight the right side of the tail light is not lighting up, only the left half. I figure a bulb is burnt out. Now for the dumb question of the decade: How do I change the bulb??? Do I need to remove the lens? I tried going inside the trunk but I can't seem to locate the bulb. Thanks for any help.

open your trunk, and gently remove the upper trim and trunk lining. It's held on by snap-in screws. Use a flat head small screw-driver. That will expose the three or four screws holding the tail-lights. there aren't any screws holding the lens but the ones for the housing.

Good luck

Yep, the whole assembly pulls out from from the car body. I couldn't believe they made it that way. ALSO, only do one bulb at a time. When I bought mine it had one bulb not working on each side. Bought new bulbs-nothing. Checked the wiring, put a little wd40 in the sockets-nothing. Ran a jumper from the other side for the same bulb, and I forget what exactly happened, but it didn't light up like it should have. WELL, turns out that the bulb holders are not indexed differently where they plug into the housing. In other words, the tail and stop lites can go into different holes than they were meant to. So, when i thought one wasn't working, it was because it was a brake light in a taillite hole, and vice-versa on the othe side of the car. I hope this saves someone else the time and frustation I spent on this stupid design flaw! Even my cheap Celica and Corolla had well-designed tail lights!