Michelin Tire Life

I am at 21K on my RX400h and the Michelins MXV4 S8 only have about 5K left before replacing. Does that seem right? I was getting 65K on my RX 300.

Also, I was considering upsizing to 255/55/18 and heard that they will rub on the rear struts from the dealer. Any truth to that. I saw that a few others have used this size on this forum.

Lastly, any recommendations for tires? Strictly street and I want to maintain a quiet ride.

I am at 21K on my RX400h and the Michelins MXV4 S8 only have about 5K left before replacing. Does that seem right? I was getting 65K on my RX 300.

Also, I was considering upsizing to 255/55/18 and heard that they will rub on the rear struts from the dealer. Any truth to that. I saw that a few others have used this size on this forum.

Lastly, any recommendations for tires? Strictly street and I want to maintain a quiet ride.

I have a 'firm' Bridgestone set which I got after putting 15K on my originals. I have put 25K on my new set, the Bridgestones, and am very pleased at their life. I get them rotated and balanced every 5K. I recommend having that done at the tire dealer. I am expecting at least another 25K at the current wear rate. You can look for my prior posting a long time ago. Also, make sure your alignment is good. The dealer aligned my wheels incorrectly and I had to have it redone. This can cause bad tire wear!

I have a 'firm' Bridgestone set which I got after putting 15K on my originals. I have put 25K on my new set, the Bridgestones, and am very pleased at their life. I get them rotated and balanced every 5K. I recommend having that done at the tire dealer. I am expecting at least another 25K at the current wear rate. You can look for my prior posting a long time ago. Also, make sure your alignment is good. The dealer aligned my wheels incorrectly and I had to have it redone. This can cause bad tire wear!

I'd second your comments - replaced our Goodyears at just under 20,000 with Bridgestone Alenzas - we're coming up on 50,000 miles (30K on tires) and at the last service Lexus measured 7/32nds - should easily see another 25,000 on them. We also get alignments every 5,000 at Firestone with their lifetime alignment plan.

I have amazing tires on my 400h. Toyo S/T Poxes 255/55 18". I have had them for a year and a half ,15k miles,and show very little wear and NEVER have they rubbed. The slightly bigger size makes the car look so much better. It fills the well a tad more but enough to make it very apparent that the car seems it should have been placed on 255/55 tires. Anyway I've really been happy with them. They look great,feel great and handle great....well, they ARE great...sorry for the fourth grade level review but I really love them! I have a bunch of pictures on the post that I placed, "Best tires when it comes time". I believe that its still on this first page of posts. Good luck but you'll be happy to get anything than what the car comes with. At least you got some miles from your Michellins, I got 11K out of the crummy Good Years! Rey

post-26996-1219291767_thumb.jpg

Well I just replaced my Mich. at 35K so too answer your question seems like your not doing as well as most I've heard.

I certainly could of got another 3-5K on mine but................ IMHO better safe than sorry.

I WOULD NEVER PUT ANOTHER PAIR OF MICHELIN TIRES ON MY SC400 AGAIN! The tires where brand new when I purchsed the car and after 7,xxx miles they were already balled I replaced them with a set aof bridgestone and im VERY satisfied with my tires! I will never put another brand except bridgestone on my Sc400 again

I have heard alot about Lexus Dealerships messing up alignments your not the first person to mention this a couple of mechanics I have talked with have complaned about cars comign from Lexus dealerships (Park Place) being completely off.

I have amazing tires on my 400h. Toyo S/T Poxes 255/55 18". I have had them for a year and a half ,15k miles,and show very little wear and NEVER have they rubbed. The slightly bigger size makes the car look so much better. It fills the well a tad more but enough to make it very apparent that the car seems it should have been placed on 255/55 tires. Anyway I've really been happy with them. They look great,feel great and handle great....well, they ARE great...sorry for the fourth grade level review but I really love them! I have a bunch of pictures on the post that I placed, "Best tires when it comes time". I believe that its still on this first page of posts. Good luck but you'll be happy to get anything than what the car comes with. At least you got some miles from your Michellins, I got 11K out of the crummy Good Years! Rey

Wow! I was told to NEVER NEVER use larger/heavier/knobbier tires on the 400h even if there were multiple sizes showing up in the parts catalog! (or at TireRack.com) I was actually refused Lexus upgrade wheels from the product catalog because of differences in weight! (swear guys) Imagine a Lex dealer shutting someone down who wanted to spend more money??? Yup... True.

U.S. Dude told me that Kyūshū has the hybrid drive and suspension optimized for the different sizes as they leave the factory floor - & its not something we should screw with. So as a result, I respect the technology involved in the final product and don't want to screw with it. Thats what old SUVs are for, right? ...Lift and larger tires and all that... He said VSC and TRAC will be completely confused by larger tires!

http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/features/sa...y_features.html

Who knows, the 400h might self adjust to the larger tire. I still wouldn't up the tire size on any vehicle with the sexy traction and stability controls shipping standard with the all flavors of the 400h!

But it looks good, RXREY, you are right!

Bad news! Go to your dealer Lexus dealer and walk around inside (new cars)... yellow/white? stickers on outside of windshields state "Caution, tires will last substantially less than 20K miles", and the other said "Warning, parts, repairs, and maintenance on this car will cost substantially more than that for a comparable non-luxury brand car and may result in severe financial injury or debt".

And wait a tick… Look at the majority of posts on this thread and Google the phrase, “20,000 miles tires 2007” and then Book Up on tires here:

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/nhtsa2205.htm

http://www.insidercarsecrets.com/tire_grading_system.html

(deep breath) ok, Lexus factory tires give the 400h as well as all new Lexus vehicles the best advertised mileage as well as stick to dry pavement for good Car & Driver reviews. When building the RX400h they used the lightest tire they could find to increase the EPA MPG figures (less rolling resistance = better MPG). On a hybrid, this is quite important. It resulted in horrible tread wear as well as horrific snow/slush stopping and snow traction because the tires are only designed to address wet traction requirements per NHTSA standard for the traction rating (see above links). And on wet roads, the Rx400h does VERY VERY well. However, attempt to turn (under power) or stop in snow and you are in trouble. My point is that the tires were designed (not chosen) to address the minimal points of the traction standard (WET CONDITIONS) and not snow. For us that purchased the 400h to replace a full size GMC Yukon SUV with superior snow and ice performance, this was a nightmare! (read on)

I will always argue that the RX is only an SUV because of its profile and not its suspension. Customers who scaled back from full size SUVs, to the RX 400h expected the 4wd/AWD handling of an S U V in snow were *BLEEP*ed and/or wrecked them. I was told when I traded my 400h to the Lexus dealer, that they were happy I didn’t wreck it last winter. They then informed me that half of the 2007 Rx400h sold by them entered the body shop with front end damage - they could neither stop nor steer in the snow. In addition the Rx (350/400) has the suspension of minivan and not a TRUE SUV like the GX and LX models. The most basic test is to jack up/raise one corner (using OEM jack) and watch how little the wheel travels downward.

Ok, Alignment issues? No, don’t believe that. Watch it disappear as soon as you buy quality tires after 20k. Ask the dealer for the before and after readings from the alignment process. Wrong wrong wrong. They are covering up a larger issue. The tires don’t come apart which would call for an NHTSA recall, they are simply of POOR quality. If you want to check for a recall, you can here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/

The issue isn’t alignment… the tires wear evenly on the 400h! I ran mine to 20k before trading it. If there is an alignment problem, wear will be noticeable on the front tires prior to service, correct? Unless both front tires are turned inward or outward at the exact same angle (not probable) you will see uneven tire wear somewhere, right? Not the case. The stock tires are insufficient on everything from Lexus and evidently Toyota in general. I’m sorry, that’s the way it is, accept it, there was already a class action lawsuit about it (resulting in warning stickers), get over it, budget for new tires at 20k.

Read this external link please if nothing else… sorry, but it is very good http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309240

Customers who scaled back from full size SUVs, to the RX 400h expected the 4wd/AWD handling of an S U V in snow were *BLEEP*ed and/or wrecked them. I was told when I traded my 400h to the Lexus dealer, that they were happy I didn’t wreck it last winter. They then informed me that half of the 2007 Rx400h sold by them entered the body shop with front end damage - they could neither stop nor steer in the snow. In addition the Rx (350/400) has the suspension of minivan and not a TRUE SUV like the badass GX and LX models. The most basic test is to jack up/raise one corner (using OEM jack) and watch how little the wheel travels downward.

I couldn't disagree more with this part of your post. We just went through the second snowiest winter ever recorded in NH(10') and my RX plowed through all of it with no problems whatsoever. 12" of snow and higher drifts presented no problem. The main reason, as written ad nauseum on this forum, is fitting the RX with dedicated snow tires, knowing your limitations(no unmaintained roads), and applying appropriate winter driver techniques. If you march off in the snow and assume that an all season or M+S tire is adequate, you'll be sadly mistaken and will likely end up complaining about the RX's snow performance or even trading it in in some cases. In my area, it's routine to see GMC Yukons and other 4WD's piled up on the side of the road largely do to inexperienced drivers on OEM tires thinking that 4WD makes them invincible. As the previous owner of a 4WD Sequoia w/snow tires who deals w/the snow routinely, I think I have a good basis of comparison. There was not a day this winter that my RX remained garaged due to snow and I never came close to "wrecking".

I couldn't disagree more with this part of your post. We just went through the second snowiest winter ever recorded in NH(10') and my RX plowed through all of it with no problems whatsoever. 12" of snow and higher drifts presented no problem. The main reason, as written ad nauseum on this forum, is fitting the RX with dedicated snow tires, knowing your limitations(no unmaintained roads), and applying appropriate winter driver techniques. If you march off in the snow and assume that an all season or M+S tire is adequate, you'll be sadly mistaken and will likely end up complaining about the RX's snow performance or even trading it in in some cases. In my area, it's routine to see GMC Yukons and other 4WD's piled up on the side of the road largely do to inexperienced drivers on OEM tires thinking that 4WD makes them invincible. As the previous owner of a 4WD Sequoia w/snow tires who deals w/the snow routinely, I think I have a good basis of comparison. There was not a day this winter that my RX remained garaged due to snow and I never came close to "wrecking".

I'd agree ... being another 400h upper northwest mountain type snow/ice/slush driver. Tho in Montana, we got a set of studs for all 4 corners. No discernable difference in cars sliding off the road. We turned in our Ford Exploader (studs / 4wd) for the 400h. We've never 'lost-it' in the 400h but DID loose it once in the Exploader. Both did us very well in tough conditions. But to each his/her own.

Customers who scaled back from full size SUVs, to the RX 400h expected the 4wd/AWD handling of an S U V in snow were *BLEEP*ed and/or wrecked them. I was told when I traded my 400h to the Lexus dealer, that they were happy I didn’t wreck it last winter. They then informed me that half of the 2007 Rx400h sold by them entered the body shop with front end damage - they could neither stop nor steer in the snow. In addition the Rx (350/400) has the suspension of minivan and not a TRUE SUV like the badass GX and LX models. The most basic test is to jack up/raise one corner (using OEM jack) and watch how little the wheel travels downward.

I apologize; evidently my post count needs to be higher and my join date older before I am considered less of a dummy on this site. No offense, just an observation. After all, the only method of judging members and/or the credence of their rhetoric is via these figures.

Yes I see there are posts in every model category on this site regarding changing to snows, studded snows, AT/MT, even chains. I didn’t address this at all. Yet I acknowledge your point! Absolutely!

I stated “factory tires” above…that they perform… horribly…

yes, I could have changed them for studded snows, but what would that do to my mileage or VSC/TRAC? I didn’t address that either so I will drop it. My point is/was the stock tires are HORRIBLE and mounted to pickup the highest MPG possible.

And you do have a good basis of comparison!

But did you have to change to winter tires on the Sequoia?

Why do you think your post count has anything to do with the member's response you quoted? He presented a very respectful and coherant response to your post...

Anyways no, the RX is not an SUV. Anybody who thinks it is didn't research it enough before they bought it. Its on the Camry platform. Its a crossover, not a true SUV like the GX or LX.

However, somehow I can drive a car in the snow without wrecking it so I could certainly drive an RX. People who can't handle one don't know how to drive in the snow, period. 4WD helps you get started from a stop, and the RX has an AWD system that will do that. For turning, stopping, an SUV is going to be no better than an RX.

The RX is hardly unique in that field either, every carmaker has crossovers and more and more people are moving, happily, from SUVs to them. The RX, Acura MDX, Infiniti FX, Ford Edge, Lincoln MKS, Cadillac SRX, Mercedes R class, BMW X3 and X5. All of them essentially cars.

. . . snip

yes, I could have changed them for studded snows, but what would that do to my mileage or VSC/TRAC? I didn’t address that either so I will drop it. My point is/was the stock tires are HORRIBLE and mounted to pickup the highest MPG possible.

And you do have a good basis of comparison!

We find that the vsc/trac does better running winter tires, simply because it's likely the system will have to deal with wheel spin a whole lot less, because you'll have better traction on the frosty roads As to mileage? MPG's drop when you're on ice / snow / freezing winter weather anyway, when operating a hybrid. Cold / freezing weather is not optimum conditions for the main traction battery. You're simply not driving in ideal mpg weather in the winter, so the fact that you're not driving on "high mpg tires" instead of studs/snow tires is a moot point. When we had our Ford Exploader 4x4 we got about 15% worse mpg's on ice/freezing conditions with studs ... and yes, we were better off each winter changing over to winter tires. Now we have the 400h. We get about 15% worse mpg's on ice/freezing conditions ... and yes, we're better off changing to winter tires in the frosty season(s). Did we "have to" change either? No. Better off? you bet.

If you're somewhere that you get a lot of snow, then absolutely you need a good set of winter tires, on any vehicle.

With a set of winter tires the RX would be a beast in the snow. Even a RWD LS is excellent in the snow with winter tires.

Yes, mainly because snow tires yield much better traction in snow and ice. As I said in my previous post, snow tires are a "must" if you want to operate on snowy roads, regardless of which/how many wheels are powered. All of my vehicles get dedicated snow tires in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rey and everyone...I will probably go with the 255/55/18. The dealer recommended going to the 245/60/18 instead but I, like you Rey, appreciate the aesthetics of a wider tire. Discount Tire now says the tires will probably last until 30 or 35K. I think the last guys at Discount needed to make a sale.

Don

Thanks Rey and everyone...I will probably go with the 255/55/18. The dealer recommended going to the 245/60/18 instead but I, like you Rey, appreciate the aesthetics of a wider tire. Discount Tire now says the tires will probably last until 30 or 35K. I think the last guys at Discount needed to make a sale.

Don

Yes, mainly because snow tires yield much better traction in snow and ice. As I said in my previous post, snow tires are a "must" if you want to operate on snowy roads, regardless of which/how many wheels are powered. All of my vehicles get dedicated snow tires in the winter.

I never realized snow capable tires were so important. Down here that is something that people VERY rarly have to wory about.