Eibach Spring Installation Diy?

I just ordered my spring kit for my 98 GS400. Can I install these myself? Has anyone installed these on their car in their driveway? Probems??? If not what did you pay to have it done professionally? Do I have to have an alignment after I get them on???

This is something you definately do not want to do in the driveway. If you don't have experience doing this, it could prove to be dangerous. If I'm not mistaken you'll need a spring compressor when installing the front ones. You will definately also need an alignment after the work is done. Most places usually charge 400-600 to do this procedure. I'm in the US Navy, so I get use of a auto hobby shop with all tools and lifts available for 4/dollars an hour. Also, what shocks are you using with the Eibachs?

WHAT'S GOING ON GUYS, WELL I DROPPED MY ARISTO ON MY OWN IN MY GARAGE AND YES, YOU DO NEED A SPRING COMPRESSOR THAT YOU COULD RENT OUT FOR ABOUT 50 BUCKS FROM YOUR LOCAL KRAGEN OR AUTOZONE AND IF YOU HAVE AN AIR COMPRESSOR WITH AN IMPACT GUN, EVEN BETTER TO HELP YOU COMPRESS THE SPRINGS. THIS JOB SHOULDN'T TAKE YOU MORE THAN FOUR HOURS IF YOU'RE A NOVICE AT THIS. I DROPPED MY CAR WITH INTRAX SPRINGS ON STOCK SHOCKS. LET ME TELL YOU THAT I WAS SURPRISED THAT MY CAR STAYED WITH THE ORIGINAL FACTORY RIDE. NO BUMPS NO NOTHING. IT CONTINUES TO RIDE LIKE A DREAM TO THIS DAY. SO YOU ARE ABLE TO USE STOCK SHOCKS IF YOU CHOOSE TO. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR DECISION. OWE YEAH, TO DROP A LEX, PROBABLY ABOUT 80 BUCKS AT A LOCAL SHOP WHERE I LIVE.

• 4 weeks later...

I installed Vogtland 30mm Red Violet Springs on my 93 GS300 and it handles much better in turns and hard braking. The lower stance is clean, and the ride on the hwy is great. Maybe a tad firmer, but not much.

I have changed springs on other cars in the past, but I had a good shop do it while they were doing the 90k service. Negotiated a good price for them to change all four springs. Also, consider if there is a problem, you can take it back and have them fix-no charge with a guarantee. If you do it yourself and there is serious problem, all you can look to is the mirror!

As far as shocks go, I think firmer springs and softer gas shocks are a good combo for a sportier ride. The stock GS 300 has KYB GR-2 gas shocks, so they are very good shocks and give some firmness. If you go stiffer shocks AND springs, you will feel many more bumps on normal street driving, and may not get that much better handling-as the springs provide this support anyhow. Unless they are damaged, the stock KYBs should last deep into the 100k's in mileage.

Just my opinion. Good luck!

Vogtland and Eibach should be good springs, since the German legal requirements are very tough to meet.

Did not hear any good opinions on the Intrax, so you should forget about those.

The Eibach springs should work on the standard shocks, assuming that they are in good condition.

I got my Tein Coilovers installed for $150.... B)

If you guys from NY or NJ need work like this donr to your Lexo's let me know.. I'm friends with alot of service managers at Lexus right over the boarder in CT.. You guys won't get my prices but I'll make sure you don't get raped..

Vogtland and Eibach should be good springs, since the German legal requirements are very tough to meet.

Did not hear any good opinions on the Intrax, so you should forget about those.

The Eibach springs should work on the standard shocks, assuming that they are in good condition.

I HAVE A FIRST GEN GS300/ARISTO AND RIDING ON INTRAX SPRINGS. IN MY OPINION, THESE ARE BETTER THAN EIBACH. I USED TO HAVE EIBACHS BUT AFTER A WHILE THEY GOT BOUNCY AND LOST IT'S LUXURY RIDE. WITH THE INTRAX, I WAS SURPRISED THAT UP UNTIL NOW, I STILL CURRENTLY HAVE THE COMFORTABLE FACTORY RIDE. CAN'T GO WRONG WITH THAT. WELL THAT'S MY OPINION. AS LONG AS MY CAR CAN BE TRICKED OUT BUT STILL RIDE LIKE A DREAM, THEN THAT'S ALL GOOD WITH ME.

One more thing, you can have aftermarket springs and still use your factory struts.. But they aren't made for that constant pressure that's applied when you lower your car so therefore they'll wear out faster than if you were riding on factory springs.. Other than that your good..

What do you mean by all shocks?? Factory shocks/Struts are meant to have a full range of motion when you lower your car the shock/strut compresses because it's lower than stock therefore it puts constant pressure on it.. Understand?? How about this, here's an example... You know when your on the highway and you see a car fill'd with crap and it looks lowered but it's just weighed down.. Now imagine if he drove around like aggressively all day and night, his struts would weaken and give out before there time.. It's something along those lines... Where as most aftermarket shocks/struts are made for that pressure...

All shocks have a built-in tolerance. 1.2 - 1.5" should be within the tolerance.

The lower you go to faster you need new sport shocks. The difference between these sportshocks and the OEM shocks is that the sport shocks are stiffer and are often shortened compared to the OEM ones.

All shocks have a built-in tolerance. 1.2 - 1.5" should be within the tolerance.

The lower you go to faster you need new sport shocks. The difference between these sportshocks and the OEM shocks is that the sport shocks are stiffer and are often shortened compared to the OEM ones.

Which in turn means............. You'll need to place the factory shocks faster with lowering springs..