Mark Levinson Speaker Problems

scubawin

I've got a RX330 with the Nav/Levinson package and around 1000 miles I noticed a static sound from the driver's side front speaker. It almost sounds like loose paper in against the speaker that is rattling. It doesn't do it with every song or every type of music but if I can find a song on a CD that gets it rattling then I can reproduce it over and over again with that same song. I've heard it listening to the radio also, so it's not my CD. Has ANYONE else heard this? Is this some kind of flaw with the Levinson stereo? I've taken it back several times and still no luck. The first time they supposedly replaced the speaker, but I'm not sure that they did since they told me they got the wrong part and had to wait overnight to get the part in, plus they said something about finding something else that they repaired. This last time the guy told me we reset the balance and fade controls. Which is basically telling me that we didn't fix anything but we played around with the audio controls so it isn't as noticeable.

Just as likely to be a loose connection in the wiring or even in the amp/driver.

Dealer "technicians" will basically be at a loss troubleshooting audio systems. Typically will use "shotgun" repair method, replace components one at a time until something fixes the problem.

I had (have) a similar issue with my SC430. I purchased the car new two years ago and would hear the same kind of distortion/rattling on certain songs, primarily with deep base. The dealer removed the door panels and added more insulation and dampening seals and the problem whet away for the most part. I still hear it today at times, but it's always caused by:

1. Items in the door storage pockets (CD cases, sunglasses...) rattling.

2. Leather on leather contact! This one was strange and took a while to figure it out. A little leather conditioner fixed this one quickly.

3. Seat belt snaps bouncing and causing rattles.

Several reviews are in circulation about the ML sounds system. One of them (I think it was Car Audio magazine) stated that this system is the best manufacture installed sound system available in any make in the world. I'm somewhat an audiophile and would agree that IMO this is a true statement. It could use a bit more power with the top down (we can never have TOO much power!), but for most folks it's more than enough to produce awesome sound.

The problem I'm having is either midrange or tweeter, definitely not bass. It's mostly noticeable on songs that have more higher frequency vocals and instrumentals, so you can't hear it if you were listening to rap or heavy metal. The dealer thinks now that they replaced the wrong speaker, they replaced the one on the front driver side pillar but it's coming from the one on the dash in the corner in front of the driver. We'll see if this fixes it when they get it changed out.