94 Ls400 Ac Issue

Sam H

I have a 94LS 400....I've been adding 2 cans of 134a every other week for about 2 months now. Obviously a leak....my question is, has anyone had any experience with Super Seal or any other AC repair sealant. Don't wanna make my problem worse, but don't mind trying if there's a good chance this'll work. Thanks!!!

I would not try any leak stopper or ANYTHING for that matter if you like your car. Look under the A/C compressor. If there is a large oil stain it is the compressor. If none of the external hoses are leaking in the engine bay, then it is almost invariably an expansion valve/evaporator leak. I have changed mine on my 90 LS twice. I fiddled around with alternative refrigerants etc in the past and kept on blowing the controller valve on the low side just in front of the firewall $200 plus each time. I wouldn't mess around with anything but the pure simple standard ways of fixing A/C. Oh also go with original dealer parts or DENSO genuine parts.

Yo

I would not try any leak stopper or ANYTHING for that matter if you like your car. Look under the A/C compressor. If there is a large oil stain it is the compressor. If none of the external hoses are leaking in the engine bay, then it is almost invariably an expansion valve/evaporator leak. I have changed mine on my 90 LS twice. I fiddled around with alternative refrigerants etc in the past and kept on blowing the controller valve on the low side just in front of the firewall $200 plus each time. I wouldn't mess around with anything but the pure simple standard ways of fixing A/C. Oh also go with original dealer parts or DENSO genuine parts.

Yo

Thanks Yo..sounds like you're suggesting I take it to a mechanic.

It's not really hard to fix a/c yourself, but you need a few things like a vacuum pump and guages. A/C shops are not always the best to go to. Some will use poor quality aftermarket rebuilt or non original parts. The quality is poor. They may give you a warranty of one year, but the parts usually only last a year or so. If you have an independent do it, make sure they show you which part is leaking and change that part only plus the required new receiver/drier (about 50dollars). Rarely do two things leak at once. it is probably the evaporator/expansion valve assembly or the compressor shaft seal. Both are expensive. Just don't take the "package deal and the warranty" Take it to a Toyota or Lexus dealer. I always do for all my Toyota/Lexus cars. They don't charge much more than anyone else.

Yo