In Accident With My Rx300

dwagener

Last Friday night I was driving (45 in 45 mph zone) to my parent's house when a car on an intersecting road, stopped at the stop sign (from the left) began to pull out and paused a 1/4 way of pulling out, then attempted to cross the road in front of me when I hit them (about 3/4 way getting across) directly in my lane. I t-boned the 2000 Chevy Prism right on the front passenger-side door, we both slid off into the ditch on the right side (my lane). After the driver, me & my girlfriend got out, (besides the other passenger) nobody was badly hurt... The other driver lights up a cigarette "I'm really sorry, is everybody okay, is everybody okay?" "Did somebody call an ambulance?" "Yeah, he's on the phone with them right now," referring to her boyfriend said a girl that was nearby when accident occured. The other driver then admitted, "Well, I'm not gonna lie, I've had a few beers in mah gut" "... and I don't have a license" He was then on the phone with somebody and started to walk over to the side of the road, I assumed it was so he could hear better on the phone. I was keeping an eye on him and he didn't seem like he was going anywhere, I had turned around or was talking to somebody for a second and when I turned around, the guy was gone. As soon as he knew an ambulance was coming he left and left his friend trapped in the car. Me and two of the guys that were there, started running down the road where he had been standing. Half way down the road I saw that a police car showed up so I went back up to talk to him, while the two guys kept looking for the other driver. The officer radio'd another officer to head down to the end of that road. My girlfriend was taken to the hospital by ambulance (just to get checked out) I rode along with her. She was okay, but she was really sore from the seatbelt. So at first we thought that the other car belonged to the passenger, the other guy was just driving, it ended up that it was neither of their car (still haven't heard anything yet about if it was given to by permission). The driver was found, the two guys tackled him. I found out later that this was his sixth D.U.I.!! and I'm pretty sure that he hasn't served any jail time for it, according to his records. So hopefully this might do it! Anyway, besides my girlfriend being very sore... I was pretty happy about how safe I felt in the accident in my RX. It went in yesterday to start getting worked on. I'll post pictures whenever I get them then.

Sorry to hear about your accident but I'm glad no one was seriously hurt... there are too many drunks on the road at any given time these days. Where I live they only started cracking down after a police officer was hit by a drunk while pulling over another drunk... in the middle of the day..

Sorry to hear about your accident but I'm glad no one was seriously hurt... there are too many drunks on the road at any given time these days. Where I live they only started cracking down after a police officer was hit by a drunk while pulling over another drunk... in the middle of the day..

Wow! Yeah, it doesn't get too much worse than that.

• 2 weeks later...

If I saw the car first, I would have never put that RX as having done that. The headlights weren't even damaged! And the estimate you qouted is mostly the front bumper and repaint!

Glad you and your SO are not seriously injured. Looked like the right (passenger) bumper, hood and probably light assembly is out....is this a dealer quote? Just curious. Your incident reminds us of why we got a used RX330...the thing even has a knee airbag. Did the airbags deploy? Regards

Yeah, the RX received a new bumper, hood/grille, both fenders, both headlights, and a bunch of other misc. things... The quote was from the collision center the insurance co. used and I think it was around $8,200 after everything. No, none of the airbags deployed. I got it back yesterday, it's running great and looks better than ever. :D