Bluetooth Issue: Can You Hear Me Now? Please Help...

sailorkadi

Can anybody help troubleshoot the problem I'm having with my navigation bluetooth? I have no problems hearing the conversation via bluetooth through the speakers. However, people on the receiving end of my conversation complain that every other word I say cuts out. This happens regardless of the area I am in. I've looked up my Motorola V3xx on the Lexus website and confirmed that this phone is compatible with my 2008 ES350. Is anybody having this problem? If so, how was this problem resolved? Any tips or suggestions?

I am assuming that you have confirmed by saying "regardless of the area I am in," that it is the BT and not the cell signal on the phone. So, some people on this site have found that they have been having issues and actually found a way of increasing the sensitivity of the mic in the service menus. Also, I suggest that you make sure your windows are closed and that no air is hitting the mic area, it could be the noise reduction cutting off what it thinks might be unnecessary noise. Also, place the phone somewhere different, something may be causing interference with the BT signal.

My money is with the mic NR, so increasing the sensitivity might make it worse, perhaps decreasing it may help... Good luck, and search for a thread on mic volume, or service screen in nav, or something like that. There was something fairly recent. If not, have the dealership check it out. Get the most out of your warranty!

I am assuming that you have confirmed by saying "regardless of the area I am in," that it is the BT and not the cell signal on the phone. So, some people on this site have found that they have been having issues and actually found a way of increasing the sensitivity of the mic in the service menus. Also, I suggest that you make sure your windows are closed and that no air is hitting the mic area, it could be the noise reduction cutting off what it thinks might be unnecessary noise. Also, place the phone somewhere different, something may be causing interference with the BT signal.

My money is with the mic NR, so increasing the sensitivity might make it worse, perhaps decreasing it may help... Good luck, and search for a thread on mic volume, or service screen in nav, or something like that. There was something fairly recent. If not, have the dealership check it out. Get the most out of your warranty!

My suggestions:

1. Try another phone and see if the problem persists. I work with a number of trial phones with a standard bluetooth stack and they still fail me miserably (some of the issues have to do with handshake).

2. It could be the noise cancellation algorithm. Again I have worked on these algorithms and doubt its that because it would then manifest in a number of other similar vehicles.

3. Ensure that you turn down the volume of the speaker. Typically echo-cancellation algorithm kicks in when the speaker is too loud and that can mute your voice as well.

4. As AZ08LexusES mentioned, make sure there isn't much wind/road noise. To test this, make a call from a relatively quite place (such as your garage) and see if the other party still has issues hearing you.

5. If the issue persists after your speaker volume is reasonably low and you are stationary in a quite place with multiple (certified) phones then I would take it to the dealer to have it fixed. If the phone call works as expected under these conditions, then the problem is not with bluetooth protocol.

I have had wierd issues where static plays havoc when I hold my phone in my hand and have heard complains that the person on the other end could not hear a word of what I had to say (My current phone is a KRZR and still does that). Several manufacturers have traded off good static shielding for super-cool design.

Where are you experiencing this problem? In the city, lightly loaded highways or all the time?

Just a few thoughts to get you started.

I definitely agree with # 3 from nharish, I mentioned NR but it is more like he says, it's cancellation. Echo cancellation is a very likely culprit. Good suggestion, turn the in call volume down before anything else, make sure you are not driving, so there is no other noise and check it out. I know it is hard for some people to get trial phones from the cell phone companies, but if you can get your hands on a different make and model, it will help you elliminate that variable.

ES3502007 put the link on how to get to the service screen, but I'd try the volume and the other phone before going that route.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I was able to adjust the bluetooth volume as es3502007 suggested (set to 3) and the receiving end mentioned that the conversation is so much clearer. Thanks again! This forum is great!!!

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I was able to adjust the bluetooth volume as es3502007 suggested (set to 3) and the receiving end mentioned that the conversation is so much clearer. Thanks again! This forum is great!!!

Hey all...1st timer here. I just ordered my ES the other day and will receive within a week. This forum is great for a variety of topics. Of particular interest to me are Bluetooth and iPod connectivity and I've already seen multiple threads on these. Awesome!

The link to the microphone setting is one I'm going to use the second I get home. In fact, strike that...when I'm in the showroom as they are walking me through the car I'm going to ask them how to fix that issue and see if their response results in the same recommendation...or if they are even aware of it!

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...
heres the fix. I did it however i only set it to 2 instead of 3 as suggested in this link. worked fine. i've had not one complaint since

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry280086

That is great!! I have a 2007 GX 470. The steps where not exactly as written in my situation but it got me into the hidden menu. There was no Bluetooth under the navigation service button but there was a "Hands free Voice quality Set" page where one can make adjustments. You can adjust " Receive Voice Level" " Send Voice Level" and Voice quality Type.

I set them all to 3

Any help on this?

Thanks

MV

• 14 years later...