Lexus Bagdes

wilhunt

We don't need no dirty stinkin badges.

I just purchased a 1997 SC400 white car. I wanted to get the chrome badges changed to Gold. Dealer wanted $600.00. On car plating service wanted $300.00. I bought several different badges on e-bay for 8 to 10 dollars including freight. One set i received was perfect except it it had red trim which I succesfully removed with paint remover and they look perfect. They seem to be gold plated plastic with mounting tangs in addition to double back tape. I ordered a emblem that just had "400"

It did not have "SC". I recieved the badge thtt said SC400 but it was smaller. It looks great on my tool box. Has anybody gone through this drill of trying to get badges gold plated?. Is the plastic set OEM or after market?. Should I just take my old badges off and have them gold plated?.

What s the recommended tape for reinstallation?. Or should I forget the whole thing?

Dave Wilson :rolleyes:

Hiya Dave. We have an approved vendor in the UK forum that goes by the name of Midas. They are a little steep but not 300$ if I recall correctly. They can ship you emblems for a little less. Also, I'm not sure, but JPI might be able to get you some. If those don't work out - you could use your chrome emblems and have them plated. The real deal emblems are metal, not plastic. 3M makes a very nice double sided tape that is typically used on the backing of the emblems. I don't know the name though. Or you could try painting your emblems. I've considered black pearl myself and will probably do that eventually.

My first discovery was that the front badge on a 1997 SC400 is plastic and is held on with 3 tangs which are connected from the back with impossible to remove spring holders as well as double back tape. Fish line worked the best on the tape but not on the tangs. I am not sure if the trunk badges are the same. I am kind of afraid to screw around with them. I broke the tangs off removing the front badges. Anybody out there tried to remove badges from trunk of an SC400? :(

you can easily take them off with any thin object, like a credit card, or even a library card. (dont ask me how i know :whistles: )

but make sure to be real careful if you do not want to break any one of the little legs.

do emblems really go for 300 ? <!--emo&:wacko:-->wacko.gif<!--endemo-->

I have bought several gold lexus badges on e-bay for between 4 and 10 dollars. I recieved a whole set that had red trim for 10 dollars. The red came off easily with paint remover and the result was excellent. They look like new. Of the several badges I have purchased only one was metal, it was the "400". I did not get the SC. I do not know how you can tell without removing them and checking the mounting pins as the metal ones are non magnetic potmetal. How do you remove the retaining clips on the back of the emblems. You cant even get to most of them?

Not sure on that one - getting the retainer clips off that is. I'm pulling my entire front end off the car off sometime soon - so if someone doesn't have something sooner - stay tuned. It seems plain to me that cheap badges would be plastic. But the OEM and high priced ones had better be metal.

I put the factory gold emblems on my 95 coupe. They were def plastic and the had placement pegs and holes in the panel for sure. On my 99, the emblems only glued on, no holes in the panels.

Hope that helps.

This is for zoom

I eventualy will have a set of chrome badges from my 1997 SC400 that I will trade for gold badges but chances are the plasctic tangs will be broken. I have only removed the front one so far and put the gold on on with 3m double back tape only. It seems to be holding good. I used a monofiliment nylon fish line to remove the tape but you still have to remove the retaining clips to remove the badges.