Vaistech And Parrot Cable Question

irmichel

Hi guys,

I've just picked up my '01 LS430 UL and i'm wondering about this:

my car has a Parrot 3000 (of 3100) carkit that seems to use the Parrot cable harnas for Lexus since the stereo will mute when a call is coming in (no external speaker to be found yet).

I would love to have a Vaistech Ipod adapter put in (the SL2i) but will this become a problem since the Parrot is connected to the stereo and the Vaistech must also be plugged in somewhere with a loop-through cable?

Anyone got some thougts or experience on this?

Greetz,

Michel

It is hard to say whether or not the installer used what you are calling a "Parrot cable harnas" when the Parrot was installed. The only adapter cables I've seen for the LS430 are from http://www.quickconnectproducts.com

That your radio mutes when a call is in progress does not mean that the phone kit installer used an adapter cable. There can be multiple places on Toyota and Lexus vehicles that a phone kit mute wire can be attached to make the radio mute. I attached phone kit mute wires to mute the audio systems in both our 2000 LS400 and 1998 Camry without using adapter cables.

It was common for professional installers to hardwire phone kits in Lexus cars without using adapter cables -- particularly on Lexus cars since their audio systems do not conform to ISO standards. For example, I found three places on my 00 LS with Nakamichi to attach a phone kit mute wire: at the audio system amp under the passenger seat, on the OEM driver side phone connector under the center console and in the OEM phone harness in the trunk where the dealer installed Lexus phone would have been installed if my car had one. On some Lexus cars, a phone kit mute wire can not be connected at the amp but can be connected at the radio head unit.

It might take some interior disassembly to determine how your Parrot kit is installed. Even if it does use an adapter cable that conflicts with the the use of the Vaistech adaptor, the way your phone kit is installed can be changed so that there is no conflict.

You might as well obtain the Vaistech adapter and jump off that bridge when you come to it. When you pull your head unit to install the Vaistech adapter, you will see if there is a conflict with the way the Parrot is installed.

I'll attach audio system wiring diagrams for your 01 LS430 from ARRC in case they help. You can see by the diagrams that your car was prewired for a phone system. Jainla, a member of this forum, used the prewire harness on his UL to install his Parrot phone kit. He posted very complete information on his install which you can find by doing an advanced search.

2001_LS430_audio_1.pdf

2001_LS430_audio_2.pdf

Does the Parrot work? The installers may have hard wired the kit into one of the dash or door speakers; there doesn't seem to be much room in the footwell of the LS430 for an external speaker..

As for the Vaistech kit interfering with the mute functionality of the ML stereo there doesn't seem to be a problem at all. I have had the Parrot and the Vaistech happily co-existing in my car for almost 2 years.

Hi guys,

I've just picked up my '01 LS430 UL and i'm wondering about this:

my car has a Parrot 3000 (of 3100) carkit that seems to use the Parrot cable harnas for Lexus since the stereo will mute when a call is coming in (no external speaker to be found yet).

I would love to have a Vaistech Ipod adapter put in (the SL2i) but will this become a problem since the Parrot is connected to the stereo and the Vaistech must also be plugged in somewhere with a loop-through cable?

Anyone got some thougts or experience on this?

Greetz,

Michel

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just order the Vaistech and have it installed. I'll leave it up to Lexus if they encounter 'too much wiring' to find a solution if needed :)

That will be after they solve all the problems on my 'new' car like a fresh battery to prevent that i've to call the autoclub for some road side service again :censored: