My Is 250 Is A Ton Faster Than Before

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 - At some point in time (Around 10k from my experience) the cylinders and piston rings are finally polished together so that all the original honing marks are gone. The same would be true for other bearing surfaces in the engine as well as the complete drivetrain - trans, dif', etc.... This represents the full potential of the vehicle.

IMHO :D

My Toyota truck at 178K miles still showed the honing marks (crosshatch) very plainly. I always thought the typical 45 degree crosshatching was to help hold oil in the cylinder walls..... but I am far from an expert engine builder!! I'd be very blown away to see any typical production engine if the orginal factory hone marks in the cylinders are gone (worn away under normal operation) on a new engine with only 10K miles!!!!!!!! :o

Yeah, I am no expert either but I always assumed that the honing marked had to go. It is all part of the rings seating from what I know. Stupid question - but were you looking at the top/bottom of the cylinder where the rings wouldn't actually be making contact or was your observation from the center part of the cylinder?

Yes, I am refering to the cross hatching (45° or 60°???) performed during cylinder honing. I do believe that they wear away completely and have seen it with my own eyes on many types of engines.

Attached is a picture that I 'snarfed' from CL. Special thanks to CL user Carchitect!!! It is a IS350 engine with unknown milage. I don't see any honing marks but as you stated, it is possible that they weren't included in the first place.

Judge for yourself.

post-39643-1219868203_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I am no expert either but I always assumed that the honing marked had to go. It is all part of the rings seating from what I know. Stupid question - but were you looking at the top/bottom of the cylinder where the rings wouldn't actually be making contact or was your observation from the center part of the cylinder?

There is no such thing as a stupid question, there are only stupid people :P

Yes, I am refering to the cross hatching (45° or 60°???) performed during cylinder honing. I do believe that they wear away completely and have seen it with my own eyes on many types of engines.

Attached is a picture that I 'snarfed' from CL. Special thanks to CL user Carchitect!!! It is a IS350 engine with unknown milage. I don't see any honing marks but as you stated, it is possible that they weren't included in the first place.

Judge for yourself.

Wow I never realized how dirty an engine looks on the inside(the pistons' heads). Very different from all those perfect vacuum animations.

i am proud to say that this posting which i started has now had more than 1,000 views

B)

So ribeep, how did you get your IS to drive a "ton faster"??? :rolleyes:

Someone broke into it and stole 2000 pounds of non-vital stuff out of it.

Greetings,

Maybe the seat was just too far back?

Kona

;)

ACTUALLY,

you have a point.......i have moved my seat higher hence closer....

So the seat is closer, Does that make it feel like you get there a little quicker ? :lol::lol::lol:

All I can add is : 1) our IS has 19K on it, and I'm still waiting for the "beast" to appear

2) our IS has not been "broken into" so maybe we should park it outside instead of in the garage?

3) our IS is not fast and never will be, I know better than to say that it is, but I still like it :P

Whatever Mr. Football. You just line your IS250 up with a Mazdaspeed3, or a NEON SRT4, or a WRX, all of which are like over 10K less than your IS. You then tell me what fast is. None of those cars can compare, however, with the quality and luxury features of the IS, which has been well documented in these forums. No, the IS 250 simply is not a fast car, and if you want to think it is, knock yourself out.