Sunroof Stuck Open

texrx

So, the sunroof is stuck tilted open on my 2000 RX300. I am posting here since the sunroof is probably the same in most Lexus vehicles. If I press the Tilt side of the rocker button, I get nothing. If I press the Slide Open side of the rocker button, it attempts to bring the glass down so that it may slide away. Trouble is, it seems to bind up and then release back to full tilt after less than an inch of movement.

There does not seem to be anything obviously obstructing the tracks. I did not attempt to oil the tracks as I thought it might make a bad situation worse by using the wrong lubricant or just dirtying up the work environment for the technician.

The local Lexus dealer wants $4,155 to replace the entire sunroof assembly, except for the glass. I reminded the Service rep that their offer is greater than half of what I would receive in trade for the vehicle, but he did not budge.

My plan is to have my neighborhood shop make an offer. If I don't like their offer either, I may take the whole thing apart and rebuild it myself. The motor seems to work ok, and nothing appears to be broken.

The process, I would imagine, is something like this:

1. Get in a covered garage

2. Remove Sunroof fuse so I don't lose a finger

3. Remove everything blocking the headliner, then the headliner

4. Take many pictures of the sunroof assembly

5. Take it all apart, clean it, and carefully reassemble

6. Lube it with whatever Lexus recommends

I am a complete novice in this effort, and acknowledge that I may make things worse in doing this, but I cannot afford the repair my dealer suggests. If I fail, then it's duct tape and a plastic panel until I can trade it in.

Help?

Anyone?

Hold the "UP" button (not "open") down for several seconds (like 10-15) - it will go thru a routine of tilting open>>then closing>> then fully opening all the way. supposedly this resets the sunroof settings. [i'm pretty sure it was the "up" button, if that doesn't work then try holding down the "open" button]

found this searching "sunroof" in the forum....

greetz Willem

Thanks Willem. I'll have to keep a note of that. They called and said that, for $100, they could get it closed. I gave them the go ahead, but that was before reading your post. You would think just getting it closed would be a courtesy.

• 4 weeks later...

HEY TEXRX,

I HOPE IM NOT TOO LATE!..

I HAD THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM WITH MY GX470 & I DID EXACTLY WHAT YOUR PLAN OF ATTACK WAS ..

1.SIMPLY REMOVED THE HEADLINER & SUNROOF

2.CLEANED THE TRACKS & REGREASED THEM WITH $2.00 MULTIPURPOSE GREASE

3.REINSTALLED THE SUNROOF & HEADLINER

4.& THE HELD THE TILT UP BUTTON TO "NORMALIZE" THE SUNROOF

5.WORKED LIKE A CHARM... I HOPE THIS SAVES YOU TIME & MONEY...