Trouble With Aftermarket Cd Player!?!?! Help Please!

Hello everybody I and the installers at circuit city are stumped...

Specs

1993 Lexus Sc400 w/ nakamichi sound system and phone system

The tape player in my SC was crapping out and i decided it was time to replace it with a cd player that was in the front instead of the trunk....

BAD MISTAKE!!

I went to circuit city and had a Pioneer cd player installed in my car. Now before the installation it sounded perfect and the sub and amp worked flawlessly.

Now the sub dosent work and the amp isnt even connected because the tech. said there was a problem and that he couldnt do it. Also there is no power behind it the max volume is 50 and at 45 you can hardly hear it at all. Also it cracks all the time and has no bass whatsoever.

SOOOO I am askin all my fellow Lexus owning brothers and sisters for advice as to what I need to do to get it fixed right now I belive the only option i have is putting my stock tape player back in.

What I would like is a soultion to the problem be it another unit with a cd player in it that might work or a way to get it to work.

Sorry if I make no sense but I have absoultly NO audio experience, ive worked under the hood but very little in the electronics department

Thank you for your time if you need more info ill provide as much as i can

Thanks,

Taylor Lovelace

Hello everybody I and the installers at circuit city are stumped...

Specs

1993 Lexus Sc400 w/ nakamichi sound system and phone system

The tape player in my SC was crapping out and i decided it was time to replace it with a cd player that was in the front instead of the trunk....

BAD MISTAKE!!

I went to circuit city and had a Pioneer cd player installed in my car. Now before the installation it sounded perfect and the sub and amp worked flawlessly.

Now the sub dosent work and the amp isnt even connected because the tech. said there was a problem and that he couldnt do it. Also there is no power behind it the max volume is 50 and at 45 you can hardly hear it at all. Also it cracks all the time and has no bass whatsoever.

SOOOO I am askin all my fellow Lexus owning brothers and sisters for advice as to what I need to do to get it fixed right now I belive the only option i have is putting my stock tape player back in.

What I would like is a soultion to the problem be it another unit with a cd player in it that might work or a way to get it to work.

Sorry if I make no sense but I have absoultly NO audio experience, ive worked under the hood but very little in the electronics department

Thank you for your time if you need more info ill provide as much as i can

Thanks,

Taylor Lovelace

Well Taylor,

Hopefully this will save you great time and gigantic headaches......My advice, keep the pioneer head unit, buy a aftermarket amp and speakers and sub woofer, .......wire the job yourself ( or with the help of a techy friend ) bypassing the stock wires and if you like removing the stock cd changer and amp. Days of dealing with trying to make the stock stuff work showed me the error of my ways.

Clyde

;)

BTW....Yes its the easy way out...but....Oh well !

It is time to search for a Lexus nakamichi replacement unit on Ebay. CC should refund your money and hopefully they have not destroyed the wire harness for the nakamichi system which I'm told is different than the pioneer system. There are plenty of parts cars on ebay. Hopefully you kept your working nakamichi amplifier. If you get the correct parts, go to a custom installation shop or one that the Lexus dealer uses and stay away from the mass market shops that seldom work on high end cars. It might have been cheaper to fix your own head unit's tape player. The nakamichi CD unit held 12 cd's in the trunk so it should be plenty for even long rides.

It is time to search for a Lexus nakamichi replacement unit on Ebay. CC should refund your money and hopefully they have not destroyed the wire harness for the nakamichi system which I'm told is different than the pioneer system. There are plenty of parts cars on ebay. Hopefully you kept your working nakamichi amplifier. If you get the correct parts, go to a custom installation shop or one that the Lexus dealer uses and stay away from the mass market shops that seldom work on high end cars. It might have been cheaper to fix your own head unit's tape player. The nakamichi CD unit held 12 cd's in the trunk so it should be plenty for even long rides.

Alright thank yall very much, well the only reason I did that was because the 12 disc is no longer working sooo I guess I will try and find a replacement 12 disc cd changer in the back. Ohh and during the installation the broke 2 bulbs in my AC control unit so I will be ordering them shortly from Lexus or NAPA.

Thanks again for yalls help!

You could always re-build the Stock Head unit. there are a few companies that specialize with Nakamichi.

So why weren't the guys @ Circuit City able to put it all together? I believe we've discussed this issue in the past, and a number of members have put in Pioneer, Alpine, SONY head units where the Stock Nakamichi belongs.

Search the forum.

You could always re-build the Stock Head unit. there are a few companies that specialize with Nakamichi.

So why weren't the guys @ Circuit City able to put it all together? I believe we've discussed this issue in the past, and a number of members have put in Pioneer, Alpine, SONY head units where the Stock Nakamichi belongs.

Search the forum.

Well the cars in the shop as we speak (College Station, Tx) as I told the story as to what happen to the car the guy smiled and said sound like somebody dosent know what there doing he walks to a shelf pulls out a wireing harness and says this is what you need to get your sub and amp connected so HOPEFULLY it will all work in about an hour or so. Ill keep yall updated. An yeah ive heard about alpine usually hooking right up and being no problem might try that next if this dosent work but the guy seemed pretty confident.

alright its out of the shop and WAY better then it was.

The Circuit City in College Station, Texas def. knew what they where doing they guy from the Circuit City in Garland,Texas was an idiot.

There is a certain wiring harness that IS in stock in every circuit city that is used to connect the stock amp to the aftermarket cd deck

NOW the AMP does work but the sub dosent this is going to require me to buy a new sub and amp BUT not replacing the entire system basically about 90% of my probs where solved now I need to track down a nice sub and amp for my baby and itll be all good thank you all for your help if ANYBODY has any question about this or info for there car I will be more willing to help you out to the best of my ability

• 3 months later...
alright its out of the shop and WAY better then it was.

The Circuit City in College Station, Texas def. knew what they where doing they guy from the Circuit City in Garland,Texas was an idiot.

There is a certain wiring harness that IS in stock in every circuit city that is used to connect the stock amp to the aftermarket cd deck

NOW the AMP does work but the sub dosent this is going to require me to buy a new sub and amp BUT not replacing the entire system basically about 90% of my probs where solved now I need to track down a nice sub and amp for my baby and itll be all good thank you all for your help if ANYBODY has any question about this or info for there car I will be more willing to help you out to the best of my ability

I have a 94 Sc400 I want to replace the Stock Tape deck with a Double Din DvD player and also the Subwoofer if i have to? Which Wiring harness did you end up having to buy? Im glad you mentioned where that Circuit City was.... Because I live in Garland LOL