P0161 Ho2s Heater Circuit Malfunction, Bank 2 Sensor 2

mark003327

The check engine soon light came on, so I took it to Autozone to get the code. The code given was the P0161 HO2S Heater Circuit Malfunction, Bank 2 Sensor 2 code.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this and where the sensor is located so that I may replace it. Thank you very much for your help.

What year ES?

Either way, Bank 2 is the bank of cylinders closest to the radiator. Sensor 2 is the one AFTER the catylitic converter.

I will base my description from memory of my 2002 ES. Older models may vary slightly. If you stand in front of the car and look down between the exhaust manifold and the radiator, it is the one way down low. If you move the air intake scoop that goes to the radiator housing, then you will be able to see the sensor and reach the cable a little better. If you have jack stands, you could lift and support the front end and get to this sensor from underneath as well.

steviej

Thanks for the help. I put the wrong type of car though. It is a 2002 IS300. Is that still the same?

The 2002 IS 300 has an inline 6 cylinder I believe, not a V6 like the ES. The sensor position is universal, sensor 1 is before the cat, sensor 2 is after the cat.

What I am not sure of is which bank of 3 cylinders in bank 1 and which is bank 2. I suggest you contact Barkat, he is an IS guru.

steviej