Phase 2 Of The Starter Death Sequence?

BigBuggie

Ok,

1) About 2 months ago I noticed an additional noise to my startup sequence. A kind of resonating oscillation after the starter disengaged. It came on gradually, I thought I may have been imagining it until one morning during a cold start I just didn't hold the key long enough for her to fire. When I released the key I could hear very clearly what I suspected. Indeed a difficult noise to describe. Sort of a light grinding/shaking sound It only lasted a second or 2, It's duration was proportional to the engine fan coming to a halt after cranking. I've heard many other toyota's with a similar sound. Anyway, That persisted. It did not however affect the start up. Cranking time, speed and pitch (sound) have been the same as always......Until today.

2) Now there is a distinct change in pitch. The engine cranking is deeper and accompanied my more resonating sounds. Still starts right up but sounds more like my buddies 2000 V8 tundra when it's turning over. I think it's cranking a bit slower. Ill have too see tomorrow morning when it's cold since she gives me a good 2 seconds of cranking before she fires.

Any thoughts.....?

Pete

i also have a 92 and when my starter went it would sometimes crank slow and sometimes it wouldnt, the thing is when it would crank slow it was in the morning, after i got to work and went to lunch it started fine.....i had it replaced and everything was good, make sure u replace the knock sensors when u do the starter, it will save u money if they go out at a later date....it happened to me so i know

My guess is you have about a week before she bites the dust. My starter sounded exactly as you describe before she went. For a few days after I first noticed it, the sound would get lower in pitch and slower until that was all she wrote. Age and all that heat finally do them in. You could make sure that your battery checks out or check the amps the starter is drawing (high demand usually indicates a tired starter) but I think you'd be only postponing the inevitable.

I was just quoted $798 (ouch) with the Denso by a very reputable lexus technician. He did valve seals on my 95 ES back in 01'.

I mean, How involved is this job? My buddy is a chrysler mechanic and said he'd do it for $75 lol, I don't think he knows what he's in for. What do you guys think, I'm really not into dropping 8 big ones right now. I sure could use some alternatives if there are any... :(

Pete

I was just quoted $798 (ouch) with the Denso by a very reputable lexus technician. He did valve seals on my 95 ES back in 01'.

I mean, How involved is this job? My buddy is a chrysler mechanic and said he'd do it for $75 lol, I don't think he knows what he's in for. What do you guys think, I'm really not into dropping 8 big ones right now. I sure could use some alternatives if there are any... :(

Pete

Oops, Sorry for the double post.

Pete

Get your buddy to test if the starter is drawing excessive amps. If you trust him, take him up on the $75. I'd even throw in a couple cases of beer and some Jack Daniels. To get an idea of what's involved, check out this link:

http://www.lextreme.com/starter.html

Not for the faint of heart. Otherwise, keep the number for a tow real handy.

B)

That part 1 you mentioned sounds like the exact sounds (well, the whirring sound for a second or two after it started, but I did not have that grinding or shaking) that my current LS400 and my old LS400 made in the winter time. Never had any problems. I had my 90' LS for 2 years and put on 30K miles and it never gave out.

That part 2 would concern me though..... sounds like something went awry.

• 2 weeks later...
ok. I just figured I'd let you guys know that my starter ( start up sequence ) has been normal for the last week or so?? Don't really know what's going on here...?

Pete

The starter on the LS400 sits in the middle of the engine beneath the intake plenum, so the top portion of the engine has to be remove in order to replace the starter, hence the high cost.

Depending on the noise you are hearing, it is possible you may have a cracked flexplate, which doesn't necessary affect the starting the engine but would make some metal crackling sound just before the engine starts and on occasion when shift between for to reverse. Cracked flexplate is not uncommon on high mile vehicles.

N.E.O

I think they did that deliberately just to annoy people. Like there was not another place to put it for easy access. :rolleyes:

The starter on the LS400 sits in the middle of the engine beneath the intake plenum, so the top portion of the engine has to be remove in order to replace the starter, hence the high cost.

N.E.O

I think they did that deliberately just to annoy people. Like there was not another place to put it for easy access. :rolleyes:

N.E.O

Don't know, but with all that space there why not? Actually, other manufacturers did the same too; overhead cam clear out a lot of space between the two cylinder banks.

N.C.O.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with the sentiment on location. However, at lot of the engines with the starter at the side now have problems with the exhaust manifold heat from the emissions impact (note the new cars have cats really close to the manifold, my GM truck has 3 cats for its "single" exhaust). I've had to put in (or add to) heat shields in some of my cars as the solenoid caps would crack, etc. Guess the "no such thing as a free lunch" applies.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy. Thanks for being here and posting your comments. I needed to confirm a repair price I was given was about average. I have a 1994 LS400 with 115K miles. My car quit. The starter is bad. It came within about 14 months of a mechanic saying it could last around a year. A fairly well respected independent auto shop in the W. Asheville (NC) area gave a price of around $800, parts and labor. I've had it around four years and like the comfort and power. However, what I've done and what I've had done to it has always been very pricy. I guess this is the inevitable straw that broke the camel's back. I'll have the starter repaired and try to sell the car. For whatever it's worth I think the LOC is the finest car forum, hands down. Gene

N.E.O

Don't know, but with all that space there why not? Actually, other manufacturers did the same too; overhead cam clear out a lot of space between the two cylinder banks.

N.C.O.

The fact that the car is so quiet on start up is because of the location of the starter. You ever stand next to a mustang 5.0 when it is starting? Sounds like a worn out hairdryer! I agree with the large amount of space in there. Remember than a lot of piston engine fighter planes in WWII stuck a machine gun or cannon in that space! (ME-109, and IL-something or other Sturmavik)

The fact that the car is so quiet on start up is because of the location of the starter. You ever stand next to a mustang 5.0 when it is starting? Sounds like a worn out hairdryer! I agree with the large amount of space in there. Remember than a lot of piston engine fighter planes in WWII stuck a machine gun or cannon in that space! (ME-109, and IL-something or other Sturmavik)

Funny you should mention WWII. A couple of years ago I was with a group of aircraft engineers who went up in a Lancaster out of the Hamilton Aircraft War Museum. No insulation in those things. Louds as hell .. like you were in a tin can right beside the engines. Buzzing the tower before coming in for the landing with the same clouds in the sky you see in old wartime posters, it felt like the Lancaster was flying in slowmo right out of a war time movie. An amazing experience!

PS: Check out another flying story I just posted in the General section.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!!!!! I have been looking for this info for a week. My baby 94 LS400 , will not start. The mechanic says its not the battery or the altenator. Says the starter is going, get rid of it. I had to put abt 1500 into since I gt it . But do not want a note and I don't think there is aclassier ride out there. Dad says get rid of it. ( I borrow his car when I have issues)

Dad told me to go to chiltons to get starter repair info. I did one better. Thanks so much. Hopefully he can save me 1g. Which is what I was quoted for timing , starter andsomething else that should be taken care of while we are in there.

Pete

Get your buddy to test if the starter is drawing excessive amps. If you trust him, take him up on the $75. I'd even throw in a couple cases of beer and some Jack Daniels. To get an idea of what's involved, check out this link:

http://www.lextreme.com/starter.html

Not for the faint of heart. Otherwise, keep the number for a tow real handy.

B)

• 1 month later...

Funny you should mention WWII. A couple of years ago I was with a group of aircraft engineers who went up in a Lancaster out of the Hamilton Aircraft War Museum. No insulation in those things. Louds as hell .. like you were in a tin can right beside the engines. Buzzing the tower before coming in for the landing with the same clouds in the sky you see in old wartime posters, it felt like the Lancaster was flying in slowmo right out of a war time movie. An amazing experience!

PS: Check out another flying story I just posted in the General section.

Just paid the same--$800==for a new started for 90 ls400. It is a fairly big job. Starters that are having your problem tend to go from bad to worse quickly