2003 Es300 Vs. Camry

LfeStylez

Drive a Camry and drive an ES300, they're very different automobiles.

For one thing the only body part shared between the two are the door handles. Only interior components are some minor switchgear shared between all Toyota vehicles, and they share the same navigation unit that folds down. Different transmission, different gear ratios, different suspension components and underpinnings. Plus on the Camry no Mark Levinson option, no Lexus warranty or service, and no Lexus prestige. All said, the ES isn't even that much more money than a loaded Camry, and IMHO that money is very well spent. Plus, the Camry is made here and the ES is made in Japan, totally different plants. In fact in Japan the Windom (our ES) and the Camry are sold alongside each other badged as Toyotas. They're different enough to warrant being sold side by side under the same nameplate. The Japanese dont do redundency.

Overall only about 25% of the ES' components come from the Camry. I liked the ES so much and thought maybe I could get away and save some cash with a Loaded Camry, its nowhere near as smooth quiet or solid feeling as the ES. You will get teased by a couple know it alls that will say its just a Camry (they'll say that about any Lexus, not just an ES) just smile and realize what they're ignorance causes them to miss out on. Another reason for the spread of disinformation is Toyota salespeople will tell customers the Camry and the ES are the same car to sell them on the "value". Trust me, they're very different vehicles.

They share a platform. Thats all. Same platform as the RX330, Sienna, Solara, Avalon, Highlander. They're NOT the same car any more than an RX330 and an ES330 are. Platform sharing is very common in the car industry, it just so happens Lexus and GM get the most flack for it.

Drive a Camry and drive an ES300, they're very different automobiles.

For one thing the only body part shared between the two are the door handles. Only interior components are some minor switchgear shared between all Toyota vehicles, and they share the same navigation unit that folds down. Different transmission, different gear ratios, different suspension components and underpinnings. Plus on the Camry no Mark Levinson option, no Lexus warranty or service, and no Lexus prestige. All said, the ES isn't even that much more money than a loaded Camry, and IMHO that money is very well spent. Plus, the Camry is made here and the ES is made in Japan, totally different plants. In fact in Japan the Windom (our ES) and the Camry are sold alongside each other badged as Toyotas. They're different enough to warrant being sold side by side under the same nameplate. The Japanese dont do redundency.

Overall only about 25% of the ES' components come from the Camry. I liked the ES so much and thought maybe I could get away and save some cash with a Loaded Camry, its nowhere near as smooth quiet or solid feeling as the ES. You will get teased by a couple know it alls that will say its just a Camry (they'll say that about any Lexus, not just an ES) just smile and realize what they're ignorance causes them to miss out on. Another reason for the spread of disinformation is Toyota salespeople will tell customers the Camry and the ES are the same car to sell them on the "value". Trust me, they're very different vehicles.

They share a platform. Thats all. Same platform as the RX330, Sienna, Solara, Avalon, Highlander. They're NOT the same car any more than an RX330 and an ES330 are. Platform sharing is very common in the car industry, it just so happens Lexus and GM get the most flack for it.

I did testdrive the Camry and Avalon when I was car shopping, and compared them to the ES. The rides are different, but I must say the last time I drove a Camry, it didn't feel as good as it does now. Regarding a "Toyota salespeople will tell customers the Camry and the ES are the same car" I got a similar answer from the Lexus dealership. I asked how similar the two are, and one of them said that they're very much the same. Another salesman, who I bought the car from, said that the engines use the same block, but are built diffently in specs (i.e. diff. pistons, timing, etc. overall better fuel economy and performance) and not to mention the obvious exterior appearance. Lexus of Bellevue should educate all of the salesppl. so at least they get one straight answer. Again, that was my individual experience, and I'm sure it varies all around. Anyways, I'm happy with the ES, and the dealership seems a lot more customer oriented than bmw of bellevue. Thanks for clearing up some of my questions, I'm sure my mom will be happy with it.

Platform sharing is very common in the car industry, it just so happens Lexus and GM get the most flack for it.

GM gets a lot of crap(and because their cars aren't so great to begin with) because they use the same vehicles w/o serious changes across the entire lineup...mainly just the emblems. Take a look at every single one of their cars, trucks, and SUV's they are all shared at 2 and sometimes 4x(like the Trailblazer and the Vette too is shared w/ the Caddy XLR[which may be an exception as far as this arguement goes]). Toyota takes the time and money to differentiate each one of their shared platform cars whereas each of the GM cars are the exact same cars.

The Camry and ES are quite different. My friend has a 95 V6 Camry(I owe it to him that I have an ES because before I fell in love with his Camry, but found a good deal on an ES) and it is worlds of different from the ES. The ES has a much smoother, softer ride while the Camry has a sportier, firmer(as far as ride) feel. Not to mention the previously said brakes, exterior style, interior, suspension tuning, brakes, etc.

Anyone that says that the Camry and ES are the same deserve this :chairshot: for their ignorance. People are just jealous of your Lexus when they say this; I get it all the time at school especially because I have 3 friends with Camry's...I don't need to respond because I know that it is a load of :censored: .

I did testdrive the Camry and Avalon when I was car shopping, and compared them to the ES. The rides are different, but I must say the last time I drove a Camry, it didn't feel as good as it does now.

Sure, the Camry evolves just like any other vehicle, however the ES rides and drives better than it ever has too ;)

I asked how similar the two are, and one of them said that they're very much the same. Another salesman, who I bought the car from, said that the engines use the same block, but are built diffently in specs (i.e. diff. pistons, timing, etc. overall better fuel economy and performance) and not to mention the obvious exterior appearance.

Salespeople are dumb lol. Somewhere in there is the truth. As far as I know, now the engine is EXACTLY the same (the 3.3). It used to be that they shared a block but they were different in specs, for instance the Toyotas never used to have VVT-i. Salespeople are supposed to learn all about the vehicles when they come onboard, but depending on the dealership as long as they know how to turn the map lights on they don't care. I remember when I was shopping for the ES one sales guy didnt know how to work the navigation system. Now, this navigation system is the same one thats on EVERY Lexus sold. I had to show him!