Locked Keys In Lexus 1990 Ls400

klausbj

I HATE when that happens. After you get back in, have an extra made and put it in a mgnetic holder and put inside wheel well.

Put a wedge between door pillar and door to pull door away from frame.

Slip a bent coat hangar in and pull open the lock. It can be done, but it will take some time.

Those slim jims are a gamble everytime one is inserted. (electrical)

I just did the same. I have a 96 ls400 and did what was mentioned above. AAA did it and they had to put a rubber wedge at the top corner of the door and have a mini airbag pump a big enough opening to fit a rod that would flip the lock. But as soon as the lock was flipped the thing would lock itself and the alarm would go off. It took a good 30min and some good timing to open the door before the lock shut itself again. But the was just the start. I locked my keys in the trunk :\ Good luck. And after your car wont start, unless you lock and then unlock your car.

I would not try to open the door with a slim-jim. My friend locked his keys inside his 1997 LS and had the door opened that way. After that, the lock mechanism, door handles, and alarm did not work properly. All of the hardware inside the door had to be replaced at a very high cost. I don't remember the exact figure, but it was several hundred dollars.

klausbj, what kind of shape is the windshield in? A new windshield only costs about $150, and at that age, it probably needs replacement anyway. You may as well break that to get inside. It is certainly the least expensive piece of glass to replace. You would spend the same amount hiring a locksmith.

I would not try to open the door with a slim-jim. My friend locked his keys inside his 1997 LS and had the door opened that way. After that, the lock mechanism, door handles, and alarm did not work properly. All of the hardware inside the door had to be replaced at a very high cost. I don't remember the exact figure, but it was several hundred dollars.

klausbj, what kind of shape is the windshield in? A new windshield only costs about $150, and at that age, it probably needs replacement anyway. You may as well break that to get inside. It is certainly the least expensive piece of glass to replace. You would spend the same amount hiring a locksmith.

A mobile glass guy might be able to save you the hassle of cleaning up the glass by removing it instead of breaking it.

Thank you all for your valuable input. After a painful few hours I did manage to get it open. I used timber clothes pegs for wedges and a coat hanger. The key to all this is to cut the end of the coat hanger at an angle to give a sharp point which allows it to dig in and grab the door button. Don't expect this to be a quick job and to be free from paint damage. My car is a personal import entry level Toyota Celsior LS400, which I think made it easier to get into as I have no alarm or key-less entry.

• 4 weeks later...

A similar situation happened to me but i had the keyless entry key and i lost it so i could open the car so i decided to look in my city for a locksmith and everybody charge me like $300 dollars and up so one day i decided to call the 800 nuber of lexus which is 1-800-25LEXUS(1800-255-3987) and then there i told them my problem and they transfer me to the nearest lexus dealer and then i have to send by fax a proof of ownership which consisted of the certificate of title and a a copy of the I.D. or license driver from the owner of the car and then you just have to paid a significant amount i paid less than $90 dollars its still sxpensive but it fit very well and i haven't have any problems with it. It opens the front doors, the trunk, the glovebox, and the unlocks the trunk from the inside it is a better way i think because u don't risk to damage the car....hope it may helps!!!!

You actually would be surprised how hard the windshield is to break. The windshield is laminated safety glass and when you strike it it will shatter but not break through. You'd need to bash it repeatedly and then peel it around to open up even a small hole.

If you were going to break a window the window to break would be the drivers window. The side windows are tempered glass and they'll shatter into very small peices rather easily.

You actually would be surprised how hard the windshield is to break. The windshield is laminated safety glass and when you strike it it will shatter but not break through. You'd need to bash it repeatedly and then peel it around to open up even a small hole.

If you were going to break a window the window to break would be the drivers window. The side windows are tempered glass and they'll shatter into very small peices rather easily.

Schedule a guy to come replace the windshield and then crawl in when it is out. Unless the windshield is new, you have got a lot more for your money than just the keys you already own.

I bought one of those black plastic magnetic key boxes and found a trick place to keep it. (Everyone keeps them in the wheel well and it is the first place I would look if I was a thief.) If you look at the passenger wiper on the first gen 400's, there is a spot just behind where it rests, a void if you will, where you can attach the box upside down against the hood (bonnet). To get at it just move the wiper to the side a little and reach in with a reversed palm and grab it. The neat thing is that there is a lip to the hood that prevents the box from skidding off or away under hard acceleration.

The shadow of the box can just be seen from the drivers seat if you look hard and it always reassures me that I do not have to panic if I lock the keys inside. :)