Buying A 2004 Is - Need Help

rcgiggles

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to this form and I really love it! I've been researching the IS300's for a while and am pretty sure I want to buy one. My dilema is with the gas mileage. 18/22 is what I believe is advertised, but I'm wondering how that translates into today's prices. I've read many owner reviews where on the scale of 1-10(highest), owners have rated the fuel economy as low as 2 and as high as 8. 6&7's were pretty common.

I currently have a '94 Integra (auto) which has a higher mileage rating that the IS, but because I have so many miles on it, (222K) the mileage has slipped a bit which will makes it difficult for me to compare the two. I'd appreciate finding out what mileage you guys are getting. I'm nervous I won't be happy with the gas mileage. I know how you drive makes a difference, but your input will still be valuable.

I'd also like to find out your experience with cost of ownership. Is maintenance expensive??

Oh, I plan to purchase a 2004 with about 53K miles. I found one for under $16K and I've checked both carfax and autocheck...clean title! What do you think?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!!

Well from my stand point.. I love my is300. I traded my 2000 BMW 328i for my 2001 is300.

I love it better because it had more power, LSD, and maintenance was not as expensive.

My IS has 113K miles on it now and I got 20mpg HWY on my last trip from Dallas, TX to Houston, TX then to Prairie View, TX back to Houston.... about 330mi (5hr,15min)..according to Google.

My own opinion is yes..these cars drink gas but you have to think about this.....Its a sports car. Its not your avg. 4dr.

It has a Supra inside. lol.

As far as cost for maintenance...you can save a lot of money doing it yourself. SERIOUSLY...

16K for a 04 IS300 w/ 53K mi sounds good. Just keep all your fluids changed, change ur timing belt and water pump, and ur good to go like Taco Bell :lol:

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to this form and I really love it! I've been researching the IS300's for a while and am pretty sure I want to buy one. My dilema is with the gas mileage. 18/22 is what I believe is advertised, but I'm wondering how that translates into today's prices. I've read many owner reviews where on the scale of 1-10(highest), owners have rated the fuel economy as low as 2 and as high as 8. 6&7's were pretty common.

I currently have a '94 Integra (auto) which has a higher mileage rating that the IS, but because I have so many miles on it, (222K) the mileage has slipped a bit which will makes it difficult for me to compare the two. I'd appreciate finding out what mileage you guys are getting. I'm nervous I won't be happy with the gas mileage. I know how you drive makes a difference, but your input will still be valuable.

I'd also like to find out your experience with cost of ownership. Is maintenance expensive??

Oh, I plan to purchase a 2004 with about 53K miles. I found one for under $16K and I've checked both carfax and autocheck...clean title! What do you think?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!!

Thanks for your input. I talked to a lexus service manager today who has an '04 and he said he gets about 22-24. I can live with that. I went to see the car tonight and it's awesome. Very clean! though I believe this is a good price, I still tried to talk him down below the 16K but he wouldn't budge. I'll probably go back tomorrow to get it.

I welcome input from other LOC members. Thanks!

Buy it. Your gonna love it. The 2JZ motor is an awsome engine with years of proven performance. 16K for an 04 in showroom condition is a good price. Don't swaet the gas mileage to much. Although you do know it's also premium fuel not regular?

Thanks everyone. I'm trying not to sweat the gas mileage, and I do know it's premium gas (ouch). I'd still like to know what gas mileage everyone is getting though.

I'm a female and don't plan to add any major mods (sorry guys), but I would like to know if anyone has ever changed the gearshift. I'd also like to know where I could get a spoiler put on for a decent price in southern california. And of course I'm gonna get some nice rims :)

You all are awesome!

I get about 20 on the highway if im "being good" lol... usually i can get about 18 on highway, maybe a little more but thats in DC traffic everyday so... anyways my IS has 85000 miles on it and it still runs perfectly. Rhoutine oil change and fluid replacement is all i have had to do... Go for it you wont regret the decision!! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

In the 6 mos I've owned my 03 SportCross, around 20 mpg (even if i leave the power button pushed in!). My commute is 75% highway and 25% stop n go. And you might as well use premium fuel, because the engine runs less efficiently on lower grade fuel, so it all evens out. :P