Brake Pad Warning Light

billydpowell

Might help to have the year of your vehicle??

If you don't have a reader that you can use to reset lights maybe just unhook the battery for a while or pull the ECU fuse?

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone and reset your ECU mappings while your at it! :D I did this and it seemed to help my car run a little better.

I'm not an expert in this field so, don't quote me boy :D

• 2 weeks later...
how do you reset the brake pad warning light

Brake pad warning light is only available from 93 model and on. This is not something that can reset. There is a pair of ceramic warning device that is installed on your brake. This device must be replaced. Each cost I think about $50 from dealer.

how do you reset the brake pad warning light

Brake pad warning light is only available from 93 model and on. This is not something that can reset. There is a pair of ceramic warning device that is installed on your brake. This device must be replaced. Each cost I think about $50 from dealer.

The circuit is broken when the brake pad light goes on. So it has to be replaced and there is one for the front brakes and one for the rear set.

My warning light just went on with 10% pad left on the rear brakes.

You could just jumper the sensor wires together at the brakes. This would, of course disable the warning system, and so I don't recommend it, but it would get rid of the warning. The new sensors are about $60, if you decide to replace it. By the way, if you replace the sensor, some people are cable-tying the sensor up away from the brakes to avoid having to replace them in the future, but again, you lose the warning system.

Steve

You could just jumper the sensor wires together at the brakes. This would, of course disable the warning system, and so I don't recommend it, but it would get rid of the warning. The new sensors are about $60, if you decide to replace it. By the way, if you replace the sensor, some people are cable-tying the sensor up away from the brakes to avoid having to replace them in the future, but again, you lose the warning system.

Steve

Are you sure the jumping would shut off the light? I try this and it did not work. What method did you use to jump? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Steve

Are you sure the jumping would shut off the light? I try this and it did not work. What method did you use to jump? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Steve

someone told me to strip the insulation back at the sensor and twist the two wires together. will this work??

also my 94 LS seems to have one on each wheel, do all 4 of them have to be twisted together?

Essentially there are 2 wires in the sensor. When the brakes are worn the sensor rubs on the rotor, breaking the connection between the wires.

To bypass the sensor, thus disabling the warning light, simply expose the wire (most people cut off the top of the sensor and strip the plastic housing off the wire) and connect the wires, closing the circuit.

The light will go off.

Essentially there are 2 wires in the sensor. When the brakes are worn the sensor rubs on the rotor, breaking the connection between the wires.

To bypass the sensor, thus disabling the warning light, simply expose the wire (most people cut off the top of the sensor and strip the plastic housing off the wire) and connect the wires, closing the circuit.

The light will go off.

I stripped all my wires and twisted them together, light stayed on. tomorrow I will cut the wires from the sensor and see if that works. I done all 4 wheels. if it works I will post it.

The light will go off.

I stripped all my wires and twisted them together, light stayed on. tomorrow I will cut the wires from the sensor and see if that works. I done all 4 wheels. if it works I will post it.

The sensors are only on the right side, one front and one rear; the sensors are there so you won't wear the pads down to metal, which in turn might ruin the rotors. Replace the sensors and do frequent routine brake inspection would be the best way to go, instead of disabling a warning system that would warn you of unforeseen problems if by chance you forgot to have the brakes check.

Good Luck,

N.E.O.

Correction to the above, 94 LS400 has sensor on all four wheels; in 1995, they were change to only the right side pads.

The light will go off.

The sensors are only on the right side, one front and one rear; the sensors are there so you won't wear the pads down to metal, which in turn might ruin the rotors. Replace the sensors and do frequent routine brake inspection would be the best way to go, instead of disabling a warning system that would warn you of unforeseen problems if by chance you forgot to have the brakes check.

Good Luck,

N.E.O.

Correction to the above, 94 LS400 has sensor on all four wheels; in 1995, they were change to only the right side pads.

NOTICE, my error, I had failed to strip ALL the insulation off on one pad, and it was preventing the wires from contacting. Luckly it was the first one I was going to cut... now the light is out. NO CUTTING. and with new sensors the warning system would be operating again..

post-5365-1220022721_thumb.jpg