20" Rims On Gs

I've been looking at some 20" rims for my 2001 GS and noticed that the ones I like are in both 20" FWD and RWD. The only difference is the RWD is wider (judging by the tires that come with them) is this something I need to be worried about? Can I put the FWD on the GS even though the car is RWD?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 20x8.5 all the way around and they were FWD wheels. All I know is that the measurement of the lug holes differ with FWD and RWD. The only thing I will say about 20's is that they tear up your wheels wells. Expect rubbing during hard turns and 35mph+ bumps. Make sure you get some quality light rims too, the jump on the car will be a little lost. What ever you do do not get RWD wheels all around. If you want a staggered set then go with a wider width for the rears.

• 1 year later...

I also have a 2001 GS3 and that car came from factory with FWD rims. The FWD and RWD refer to the offset of the wheels. It has nothing to do with whether your car is actually FWD or RWD. Typically, RWD wheels will have a bigger lip that FWD because they have a lower offset, which means the center of the wheel sits deeper in the wheel. Your best bet is to get a 20x8.5" rim for the front and a 20"x10" rim for the rear.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be helpful if you can find out the exact specs of these rims, in particular width and offset. Like the previous poster wrote, the FWD and RWD labels are just dumbed down designations that are stereotypical setups for FWD and RWD cars. Any of these can work on FWD or RWD cars as long as the actual specs are good.

If you can get the specs and post back, we can tell you if they will fit on the car. :)

Edit: OOPS. I just realized how old this thread was initially started. My bad.